is a future cruise credit refundable?

sanjay

last year i was on freedom and spoke to the onboard sales person who recommend i buy a $100 fcc so i'd get the onboard credit ... this was bought prior to the rule change so i'd get both the fcc credit and the shareholder benifit ......

however what i didn't realize is that the travel agent i booked the original cruise with gets to hold that fcc and not me ....

i don't really like that travel agent (used a random internet cruise site)

can i cancel that fcc and get my $100 back?

last year i was on freedom and spoke to the onboard sales person who recommend i buy a $100 fcc so i'd get the onboard credit ... this was bought prior to the rule change so i'd get both the fcc credit and the shareholder benifit ......

however what i didn't realize is that the travel agent i booked the original cruise with gets to hold that fcc and not me ....

As far as I know the NextCruise Certificate (if that´s what you are talking about) is non-refundable, but I read on the boards (no experience myself, as they don´t even sell them to me) that if you book a cruise with it and cancel that cruise you will get a full refund of your deposit including what you paid for the NCC.

I your situation you would have to check though if your TA has a cancellation fee.

Sounds like you didn't actually book a "future cruise", which requires $250 pp deposit for a 7 day cruise. The $100 pp deposit is for an open booking date and is called "next cruise". Those deposits for next cruise are non-refundable and is so stated on the paper work you received at the time of making the booking. However, if you pick a cruise and have your TA apply the next cruise booking number to that cruise, pay the difference in deposit, then some time later, cancel that specific cruise, you should get all your deposit back.

It is my belief, a FCC deposit is refundable with in a number of years. It is a deposit not a free credit. Also it is my belief that when you book a future cruise, you don't have to book with the same TA you had when you got the FCC. Royal Caribbean actually holds the FCC or NCC. I would call RCI directly and ask them about it :)

I have never used one of these for a refund but do know if you use one to book a future cruise and cancel, you get your deposit back but loose the OBC. It is a one shot deal even if you don't cruise!

It is my belief, a FCC deposit is refundable with in a number of years. It is a deposit not a free credit. Also it is my belief that when you book a future cruise, you don't have to book with the same TA you had when you got the FCC. Royal Caribbean actually holds the FCC or NCC. I would call RCI directly and ask them about it :)

I have never used one of these for a refund but do know if you use one to book a future cruise and cancel, you get your deposit back but loose the OBC. It is a one shot deal even if you don't cruise!

The Next-Cruise are never refundable however there are ways of getting around that. (I have,) Yes, your TA "owns" the NC until you decide which cruise you want to book.

If you booked your Next Cruise prior to December 31, you can still combine all your discounts, which can be a big benefit. I wouldn't book just to cancel, that's a valuable commodity at this point.

When you purchase your Next Cruise through the LA on board, the TA you booked the cruise you are currently on is the default in their computer system, so it pulls them up automatically. Some of the better LA's will ask you if you want to use your current TA, but that doesn't always seem to happen.

If you are purchasing a NC and you don't want to use the same TA, you need to be sure the LA assigns the booking to RCCL or another TA of your choosing.

It is possible have the Next Cruise reservation transferred back to RCCL... I'd call them and talk to them about doing that... It may require the current TA signing off on it. If you decide to transfer the booking to another TA after transfering it to RCCL, you'd just need to sign a transfer form.

The Next-Cruise are never refundable however there are ways of getting around that. (I have,) Yes, your TA "owns" the NC until you decide which cruise you want to book.

sorry... what i have IS a next cruise credit i guess

care to let me know how i can get it refunded? or transfered to me?

As I mentioned in my earlier post, if you booked the NextCruise prior to 12/31/08 and ever intend to do another RCCL cruise, I would keep it to use. You can still combine benefits using that reservation number.

If you want to get it refunded, book a cruise, pay the additional deposit required and then cancel it. They'll refund the $100 plus the additional deposit you paid.

If you want to transfer it, you can transfer it to RCCL... contact them to see what you need to do... they'll probably need you to sign something and they *may* need the TA it's currently assigned to sign something.

I would tell them you didn't realize the LA was assigning it to that TA and that you want it to be with RCCL direct.... see what they have to say.

Getting it refunded is actually simple. Book a cruise using it then a week later cancel it. Try to use the same CC for the booking that you used for the NC and it will all be posted back to your CC. (I did exactly this myself.)

As for transfering it to youself you could try calling RCL and telling them you had never wanted it to be given the the TA it's with right now and the LA didn't tell you that was going to happen. Did she tell you this process? Most don't.

I don't know that it is true about it still be combinable. You will need to call RCL to check that out. When I asked I was told it wasn't good for that anymore unless you had booked prior to December 31/08.

updated -- called RC who told me C&A could do it for me

the C&A rep said nothing could be done...and only the TA which is holding onto the Next Cruise could release it to me ..... and they probably would not.

i figured i'd try calling the TA who said it would be no problem to do it for me :) ... i am waiting for a fax as we speak

We bought a FCC on our cruise a year ago. Last summer I booked a cruise with an online TA then canceled, not realizing that it would also cancel the FCC. To keep it, you can't cancel, but must rebook using the same number or you will lose the credit. But I think that's good news for you - just book and cancel. We had the $100 credited back to our card within a week.

Kate

If you booked your Next Cruise prior to December 31, you can still combine all your discounts, which can be a big benefit. I wouldn't book just to cancel, that's a valuable commodity at this point.

Hi,

I wish that was still true but......

Similar to you I booked the NC last year in june. This january I booked a TA cruise ( almost there) using my NC reservation number. I was able only to apply my D status (from C&A ) to receive the balcony discount. Later in february I was notified that RCI changed the rules again and they did apply my OBC to my sailing as well.

After reading your post I called C&A and asked about the stock ownership ( which I do have) benefits ..... and no luck this time. So some benefits can be combined and some are not combinable even if NC was reserved before jan1, 2009 ( that is when new rules went in usage).

Wes

Hi,

I wish that was still true but......

Similar to you I booked the NC last year in june. This january I booked a TA cruise ( almost there) using my NC reservation number. I was able only to apply my D status (from C&A ) to receive the balcony discount. Later in february I was notified that RCI changed the rules again and they did apply my OBC to my sailing as well.

After reading your post I called C&A and asked about the stock ownership ( which I do have) benefits ..... and no luck this time. So some benefits can be combined and some are not combinable even if NC was reserved before jan1, 2009 ( that is when new rules went in usage).

Wes

I think you are getting some bad information, Wes. That's not what I've been told by Linda Buchanan at RCCL who handles the stock benefits.

I've had credits applied personally and I've also had clients that have been given the OBC for cruised booked this year using a Next Cruise from last year.

If I were you, I'd send all my documentation for the stock benefit via email to Linda... I'd be very surprised if you don't get a different answer this time.

I think you are getting some bad information, Wes. That's not what I've been told by Linda Buchanan at RCCL who handles the stock benefits.

I've had credits applied personally and I've also had clients that have been given the OBC for cruised booked this year using a Next Cruise from last year.

If I were you, I'd send all my documentation for the stock benefit via email to Linda... I'd be very surprised if you don't get a different answer this time.

I hope that you are 'right' ...... I would send email to Linda Buchanan at rccl if I only knew her email address.

I am just guessing, would it be linda.buchanan@rccl.com ? if not would you please correct me. Thanks

Wes

I hope that you are 'right' ...... I would send email to Linda Buchanan at rccl if I only knew her email address.

I am just guessing, would it be linda.buchanan@rccl.com ? if not would you please correct me. Thanks

Wes

Her email address is shareholderbenefit@rccl.com... Do you have the information on what you need to send her?

Hi,

thank you for the address. No , I do not. I do have my statement from stock broker ( Scotttrade) that I purchased and do have 100 shares of RCL. Do I sent that ? There are some numbers like account number and other things that I would not want them to see.

Thanks again,

Wes

Hi,

thank you for the address. No , I do not. I do have my statement from stock broker ( Scotttrade) that I purchased and do have 100 shares of RCL. Do I sent that ? There are some numbers like account number and other things that I would not want them to see.

Thanks again,

Wes

They'll need:

Name

Address

Confirmation number

Ship

Sailing Date

Copy of your brokerage statement

I've been asked in the past to send this stuff to them in a .jpg format.

I do understand how you feel about the brokerage statement.... We generally line out the information we don't want to share in photoshop before sending it. You could also line through it with a sharpie or white out and then scan it to send.

Let us know how it goes... :)

Let us know how it goes... :)

Hi elleluv,

I like to thank you. I did do what you suggested ..... I just got email from RCI ..... OBC has been applied to my cruise.

I did try few times in the past and the answer was always the same : due to the changes (1-1-09) the benefits could not be combined, even that my NC was done in June 2008. I talked to people in the C&A as well as regular agents and even a supervisor ..... I finnally just took their answer as that is the way it is.

I wonder if they made some changes recently and decided to 'honor' the original 'booking date'.

Back in January even the NC promised OBC could not be obtained ( in conjuction with the C&A 'balcony discount), they changed their mind on that on feb 23rd and notified me by email, but the stock ownership was still a 'no, no' at that time.

Thank you very much for your help.

Wes

the same thing happned to me , the advantage is you can still combine credits. you also have the option of faxing it back to royal c, and they can take ownership of the certifcate allowing you to deal directly wih the cruiseline.

Hi elleluv,

I like to thank you. I did do what you suggested ..... I just got email from RCI ..... OBC has been applied to my cruise.

I did try few times in the past and the answer was always the same : due to the changes (1-1-09) the benefits could not be combined, even that my NC was done in June 2008. I talked to people in the C&A as well as regular agents and even a supervisor ..... I finnally just took their answer as that is the way it is.

I wonder if they made some changes recently and decided to 'honor' the original 'booking date'.

Back in January even the NC promised OBC could not be obtained ( in conjuction with the C&A 'balcony discount), they changed their mind on that on feb 23rd and notified me by email, but the stock ownership was still a 'no, no' at that time.

Thank you very much for your help.

Wes

You are quite welcome...

RCCL did at one point say that you couldn't combine offers on NextCruise reservations prior to January 1, but I know that was corrected by the end of February. I had a client that was able to get the shareholder benefit on February 27.

I'm just glad you posted your experience here so that I could tell you mine.

Enjoy your additional OBC... :)

Archived