young couple cruising - looking for tips :)

tratee

hi! first post on cruise critic! been browsing a lot though, and i want to thank you all for all the great tips and stories you share with everyone!

we're going to go on our first cruise in august (hurricane season?) on the Carnival Legend, 7 day exotic western carribbean to cozumel, belize, roatan and grand cayman. we're a young, adventurous couple, in our early 20s, and I'm a little worried about of being a fish out of water, since we've heard there aren't a lot of people in our age group who cruise as a couple. is that true? (then again, that doesn't sound like a big deal. :cool:) the one thing is - we're not big into lounging, sun bathing, etc.. we like to rock climb, scuba, and surf! did we pick the wrong vacation?

does anyone have any romantic/adventurous tips for us, as far as activities to do on the Carnival Legend, and on our excursions? We are big into scuba diving, so we are definitely going in Grand Cayman and Cozumel (thats why we picked this cruise!)... but what about the other 3-4 hours on land? :) we're both still in professional school, so our budget is mostly reserved for scuba, but we're both very excited to try new things, and take some chances. :) Thank you all in advance!

You will NOT be the only couple on the ship--and there will be plenty in your age range. And, don't discount folks a bit older than you---they can be just as "adventurous" as the 2 of you!

That's what's so great about cruising---you can do whatever you want...or as little! It's entirely up to you. Now the "surfing" thing---the Caribbean isn't a big "surfing" destination! But, scuba, snorkling, etc....you can do that until you're wrinkled as a pickle!

Check out the "port of call" boards for more ideas for your excursions....and there will be suggestions for things you can do without paying an arm and a leg! Good luck, and have fun!

There should be other couples your age! Me and my boyfriend just got off our first cruise a couple weeks ago and we are both 22 still in college and we had an amazing time! We met a few other couples our age too!!

Our dinner table mates were a little older than us but we still had a lot of fun with them.

We did a mexican riveria cruise so it was different than yours but we had some things booked and the rest of the time on shore we just walked around and found different things to do. We are also both very active and we always found something!

We had a balcony room and really enjoyed going out on the balcony its so pretty even at night and one day we saw dolphins swimming by the boat! So if you have a balcony make sure you go out there!

Enjoy your first cruise! We loved ours so much we just booked another!!

you're right about the surfing cb. thanks for the tip about the ports :)

swt - oh wow! the dolphin view on your balcony sounds amazing! you are so lucky!

thanks for the helpful responses!

Since diving is a top priority you may want to check out the Scuba and Snorkeling area (Click Here To Go There).

I don't dive. But I've been told that Roatan is one of the best areas of the Caribbean. You may want to check it out also.

I really wouldn't worry about the age thing. Carnival does a great job of assigning tablemates IMHO. Elsewhere on the ship you will find a wide range of ages.

Charlie

I've been on this same cruise except on the Valor instead of the Legend. Since you like the activities, here is what I recommend:

Grand Cayman - snorkeling and sting ray city tour. I highly recommend Moby Dick tours. You can google them...great rates and they give you a lot more for your money than the cruise line does...smaller amount of people and longer time snorkeling and with the sting rays. I know you said scuba here, but you might find some of the other islands better for that so you can see the sting rays.

Belize - cave tubing or zip line. This might be a good place for scuba diving too, I'm not sure...though I think I've heard Roatan is awesome for scuba. Belize is not really a place I'd recommend roaming around by yourself. Outside of the pier is a little sketchy.

Roatan - one of the most beautiful places I've been. We did an island tour here, but I think I remember this is a great place for scuba.

Cozumel - Playa Uvas beach club has a full day snorkeling, clear bottom kayak and use of the beach club (I know you don't like lounging, but after the 2+ hours of snorkel and kayaking you need a rest) with lunch and drinks included. You can google them too. Great service there and we had a great time with the activities.

If I had to say one thing though, it would be don't miss the sting rays...very cool to see at least once. Research all the islands for scuba, because you might find Roatan is a great place for it, and you can do other stuff on the other islands. Go to the ports of call boards here for other ideas.

You will find a lot of people your age on Carnival...it's a very festive atmostphere anyway, regardless of your age.

Have a great time.

Thanks all! Is it possible to schedule two excursions in one day, by the way?

It's very rare, and not usually any of the active ones like snorkling or scuba, though you should have time for a little shopping before or after one like that.

Ah a 20 something couple.. First off, you are sailing in August, there will be lots-o "youngins" on your cruise.. (I am a youngin in an oldsters body:D)

There will be plenty to do.. or not to do, as others have said, it is all up to you...

Being this is your first cruise, I, as well as others have already said, a balcony cabin is great.. You have privacy to enjoy some quiet time.. Enjoy your morning beverage on the balcony and just watch the sea slide by.. You also can enjoy a "Night Cap" with the same quiet time to reflect on the day with your significant other.. (There is also the "Balcony Club" if you get my drift..;))

Relax and enjoy your cruise.. You will be hooked...

You are headed to some of the best scuba and snorkling sites on the planet. You can find so many options for those tours online. As for 2 tours in one day, you might be hard pressed to do that. Get your research done early and go for it. You only get one first cruise...take advantage of all that youthful energy LOL. Don't forget to order a romantic room service dinner at least one night. That way you don't even have to worry about a dress code. The robes are quite comfortable :D

• 2 weeks later...

I agree with Q. The sting rays are not to be missed.

We went with Captain Marvins (They have a web site) We snorkeled in two locations, then went to see the sting rays. Wow.

We have been to Grand Cayman more than once. One other time we rented a car and drove over to Rum Point. Another wow. Beautiful little reef. Food, lounge chairs, kayaking, swimming snorkeling, bathrooms, etc. Driving is on the left, but we felt the roads were safe and manageable (the island is pretty flat).

We bring our snorkel gear with us from home in our luggage, and we do a lot of research before the cruise (the people here on the boards are glad to offer advice).

I don't think you should worry too much about the age thing. There will be a lot of youthful people to have fun with. Join the thread for your cruise. We always meet great people there.

Have a great trip!

Archived