Best Island For Helicopter Tour

Donna6369

I am celebrating my 40th in style taking a trip to Hawaii with my mom. We will be spending 5 nights at the HHV and after that 7 nights on the POA. I know I want to do a helicopter tour I'm just not sure which island would be best. We are going to Maui, Hilo, Kona & Kauai.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any other things I shouldn't miss as this is my first trip to Hawaii and I can't wait.

We just did the blue hawaii helicopter tour over the active volcano on Hilo. Loved it! They fly you over where you see the lava hit the ocean. very beautiful. You won't see the orange spewing lava you see on tv though. If you go on bluehawaiian.com ( I think that's the website) they list the different tours they do.

We flew with Jack Harter on Kauai, and it was definitely the highlight of our trip!! I really appreciated their great customer service when we had to cancel our plans the first time. BUT, I'm quite sure that wherever you take a helo trip over any island, you will NOT be disappointed!

I am celebrating my 40th in style taking a trip to Hawaii with my mom. We will be spending 5 nights at the HHV and after that 7 nights on the POA. I know I want to do a helicopter tour I'm just not sure which island would be best. We are going to Maui, Hilo, Kona & Kauai.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any other things I shouldn't miss as this is my first trip to Hawaii and I can't wait.

I think you will find Kauai the most spectacular. You will fly over the wettest spot in the world with hundreds of waterfalls, past the Na Pali Cliffs, the world's tallest seacliffs, thru the Waimea Canyon, which Mark Twain called the Grand Canyon of the Pacific. Hawaii's original helicopter business began on Kauai. Famous waterfalls everywhere on the island.

Thank you to all for your input and my mom actually made the decision to do the Big Island Spectacular when we are in Kona since that is my actual birthday. I'm sure no matter where I do it will be amazing since I have never been in a helicopter before and the views look amazing on each island.

Thanks again for all your help.

Thank you to all for your input and my mom actually made the decision to do the Big Island Spectacular when we are in Kona since that is my actual birthday. I'm sure no matter where I do it will be amazing since I have never been in a helicopter before and the views look amazing on each island.

Thanks again for all your help.

this is a great flight! We took this excursion last year, and saw active flowing molten lava, great views of the steaming crater, whales (in the Hilo area), and stunning scenery in the Waipio Valley on the way back. Enjoy

I've only done two heli tours, once in Alaska and then on Hawaii. After the one in Alasaka I was like WOW that was great, same in Hawaii. Never heard anyone say they didn't like it or that it wasn't worth the big bucks we pay.

I read much about and have done the one in Kauai and agree if you have only one Island to select this is it. The prospective from a heli is spectacular, what really seperates Kauai is the number of sights ( Jurrassic Waterfall, Napali Coast, Kalalau Valley, Mt Wai'ale'ale etc. ) that can't be viewed any other way and are just spectacular. The sights on the other islands are also spectacular but the number and uniqueness on Kauai is what make this island heli tour really special, but that is just my opinion :D

Congrats on your 40th, it'll be a special trip!

BTW: One of the better outfits is Blue Hawaiian, yes they advertise heavily and also have a big brand image but between their safety record and comfort of their heli's its worth the price premium.

Just an FYI.. Blue Hawaiian is the tour operator for the NCL big island spectacular tour out of Kona. This tour actually departs from Waikoloa, which is about a 45 minute shuttle ride N of Kona. It will use up much of your Kona port time, but is so worth it!

• 1 month later...

I'll give you 2 web addys for info; this one is tripadvisor.com here you can read some reviews and get an idea for who to use and which islands are best for whatever reasons.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Search?q=blue+hawaii+helicopter+tours&sub-search.x=14&sub-search.y=7

This one is a link to previous posts here at CC this one may take some time to upload and you may have to try it a couple times.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=972733

We did Island Helicopters in Kauai, lots of waterfalls and you see the Na Pali Coast. I think the Big Island and the Volcano/Lava Flow would be great to see as well.

We also did Power Hangliding on the North Shore of Oahu and I enjoyed it more than the helicopter. It is like being on a motorcycle in the air and feels like you are really flying (whereas the helicopter is all enclosed like a car).

Archived