Romantic, non child filled cruise?

simstar

Helllllllo there!

I am in my late 20's, and my boyfriend (31) and I are taking our FIRST trip together in June. :o We were interested in taking a cruise, but CLUELESS as to which cruise line would be the most suitable....

We're looking for a ship that goes to the Caribbean.

Large enough so that we will not be inundated with kiddies.

Anywhere from 5-8 days.

Has a great spa.

Luxurious.

Romantic-like.

Young, but mature crowd. (NOT girls gone wild/frat boy style!!!!)

Great ports of call. With exciting, fun excursions!

Looking to spend around $1200-$1500 US dollars, total for our trip!

Thanks guys!!!!

Helllllllo there!

I am in my late 20's, and my boyfriend (31) and I are taking our FIRST trip together in June. :o We were interested in taking a cruise, but CLUELESS as to which cruise line would be the most suitable....

Anywhere from 5-8 days.

Has a great spa.

Luxurious.

Romantic-like.

Thanks guys!!!!

Welcome! Your price range and the word luxurious don't go together unfortunately. You definitely don't want a Carnival cruise in my opinion. The Holland America line would be too old I'm afraid for you two. Not sure about Royal Caribbean.

I love NCL, have cruised 6 times with 3 more booked in the next two years. I am older than you and my partner is as well but we like quiet, romantic, non-kiddie (as much as possible) cruises with beautiful destinations as well. NCL seems to fit the bill for us. I would choose a 9 day excursion to the Eastern/Southern Caribbean and it should fit the bill for you both perfectly. You have "White Hot Party" and late night activities geared for your age. You also don't have kids...don't book summer. Perfect time is in the fall for us.

I have absolutely no experience of cruising out side Europe BUT ..... you should definately not choose a cruise during school holidays.

Some friends went on a Caribbean cruise and out of 3000 passengers, 900 were kids.

it s tough cruising anywhere in june..kid s and college age adults

are all on vacation..and they ll have good representation on any

cruise..

just to avoid alot of kid s and college students..we sail in jan..right after

the holiday s and students are preparing to return to class s..

In your price range, I suggest NCL, Royal Caribbean and Princess (possibly Celebrity if you find a great deal). To avoid a ton of children, try to cruise as early as possible in June (most colleges will already be over by then, but many elementary through high schools are in session until later in June). As another poster mentioned, it's hard to avoid families in the summer months and during school holidays.

The longer the cruise, the fewer families (IMHO).

Cruising from NYC (or NJ) will save you money (no flights), but to get to the Caribbean, you'll need a longer cruise- can you do a 9 day? Shorter cruises from NYC tend to only go to the Bahamas or possibly Bermuda. Bermuda can be very romantic, but I haven't found the Bahamas to be as "thrilling" as other ports in the Caribbean.

Hi,

The best ways to avoid the kids would be to pick a time when school is still in session. Also, families tend to select cruises of 7 days or less.

Cruises have so many options for children, that they are rarely underfoot. I would recommend later dining times. Families with little ones, tend to eat earlier.

Bon Voyage,

Barb

My GF and I sailed on the Gem April 4-11, 2009 and at our M&G the captain corrected one of the questions that there were not 1000 children on board but only 900 which prompted another question as to more guards to keep children out of the adult pool which was done. We really did not have a real problem with any children other than one time when two children pushed all the floor buttons however we were only going 2 floors (11th to the 9th) unlike Carnival which was full of children

Enjoy

Just got back off the Carnival Glory during Easter/Spring break, I can say that if there were lots of kids on board, it wasn't annoyingly obvious. The kids walked around in packs but well behaved and it was more adults using elevators for one floor rather than kids.

To avoid the possibility of way more kids, definately do your cruise while kids in school.

Each cruise line will offer something different, not one should be dismissed cause of past reputations.

Have sailed on RCCL and Carnival and both have been wonderful cruises.

you will see a lot of kids in the summer or on "Holiday" week cruises. You can pick a Jan. cruise on the plus side there are a lot less kids but since you are in your 20's the crowd may be a little old for you. I took a Jan cruise last year, the passengers were great but I'm 55 and almost everyone on the ship was older then me. I've been on ships during "spring break" there were a lot of 20's and a more lively crowd, you may want to consider it.

I have heard that Carnival is a younger crowd, I haven't been on one, but they have a reputation as "Party" ships.

Helllllllo there!

Anywhere from 5-8 days.

Has a great spa.

Luxurious.

Romantic-like.

Thanks guys!!!!

I did some price checking for you and it looks that for the price you want to pay, you only have 2 options if you want to go to the Caribbean in June. A 4 day cruise on either Carnival or RCL. Prices for an inside cabin start at $309 per person (plus taxes and port fees). If you jump up to 7 days, the price jumps way up...over $500 per person (plus taxes and port fees) and there's no way you are going to do your entire trip for 12 to 15 dollars.

I'd also recommend that you cruise in early June, before most public schools are out for the summer. That should greatly reduce the number of kids on board.

CG

Helllllllo there!

Anywhere from 5-8 days.

Has a great spa.

Luxurious.

Romantic-like.

Thanks guys!!!!

Check the Spring Break schedule; do a "Google" on Spring Break Schedule and, when it's ready, it will provide you with the total number of students that are on break by week. Then you can choose the week with the lowest number. It worked for us for 2009. Happy Cruising.;)

Check the Spring Break schedule; do a "Google" on Spring Break Schedule and, when it's ready, it will provide you with the total number of students that are on break by week. Then you can choose the week with the lowest number. It worked for us for 2009. Happy Cruising.;)

The OP wants to cruise in June Pickels...well past spring break time. It will be close to or during summer break and it has been my experience that there are no more college students on board during summer break then any other time of year. They don't seem to go on cruises (in packs at least) during the summer. I guess most of them go home and then do other types of vacations.

Now, the younger children seem to be more of an issue during summer school breaks as lots of families plan summer vacations which of course includes cruises. That's why I recommend early June as many public schools will still be in session.

CG

I'll echo the sentiments about avoiding the summer holidays but I have to admit that we cruised on the Sun during Spring Break last year and it wasn't that bad. Those amateur drinkers sort of burned themselves out fairly quickly.

Something to keep in mind if you do decide to cruise the Caribbean in the fall--trying to reason with Hurricane season. Granted, hurricane season runs from June 1st through November but the vast majority of destructive hurricanes in that region have occurred in the fall. You can check the national hurricane center's website for everything you need to know on this subject: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/ Its Climate Prediction Center provides a seasonal hurricane forecast in May and an update in August.

You might want to look at boosting your budget to achieve your goals. You'd definitely want a balcony, for instance, to boost those romance points.

Good luck, have fun, and let's know how it went.

I did some price checking for you and it looks that for the price you want to pay, you only have 2 options if you want to go to the Caribbean in June. A 4 day cruise on either Carnival or RCL. Prices for an inside cabin start at $309 per person (plus taxes and port fees). If you jump up to 7 days, the price jumps way up...over $500 per person (plus taxes and port fees) and there's no way you are going to do your entire trip for 12 to 15 dollars.

I'd also recommend that you cruise in early June, before most public schools are out for the summer. That should greatly reduce the number of kids on board.

CG

:eek::eek::eek: A four day on Carnival ?? And they claim water boarding is torture ...

I agree with the 9 day carib for what the OP is looking for ,

but of course it will be a few more $$.

What a tough list of expectations to meet.

If you are looking to cruise in June that leaves NCL out since none of their ships go to the Caribbean in the summer.

To avoid a ship full of kids to need to avoid the summer and school holidays. For the best fares you need to do the same.

If you need to fly that will eat up much of your budget.

From NJ you can take RCCL 9 nights to Caribbean in June $1000+ pp inside. 5 nights Bermuda for $800

NCL from NYC Bermuda 7 nights from 699pp, from Boston 599pp

The other posters hit it...any cruise in June when the kids are out of school runs a risk of being overrun with kids. Holland America will have less and the young people on board seemed to be having a good time in spite of more older people. Everyone onboard wanted them on their teams for volleyball,etc.! There were a good number of kids on our just completed NCL cruise as I imagine it was spring break for many, but they were very well behaved overall, except for the parent who allowed her kid to put her hands in the bread on the buffet!

That's why I recommend early June as many public schools will still be in session.

CG

That't the thing and public schools vary. When we scheduled our June 21 cruise, that was the first date my nephew would be available because his school year ends the week before. He is from Colorado. Around here in Connecticut, that is considered early and a lot of my friends who might have cruised with us cannot because their kids are still in school. So, I am thinking (hoping) June is a lot better than July in terms of the number of school-age kids on board.

hmmm could be tough.

don't even think about Carnival and probably not RCL in June...there will be lots of kids and girls gone wild/frat boys, lol!!

We went NCL Dawn in october and there were kids on the ship but the only time we saw them was when the kid camp director had them walking around during dinner hours one evening singing 'twinkle twinkle little star,' cutest thing ever!! but otherwise we didn't really see the kids. And there weren't a lot of younger crowd getting crazy and drinking either.

I am guessing it was from that time of the year, which was nice because the ship was full but not too bad. we had our space.

is june the only time you can go? maybe look later in the fall...also another advantage to that is hurricane season will be ending and NCL starts sailing to the carribean around that time as well.

It would also be easier on your budget if you go a little off season if you are able..then you get a nice suite with balcony, gotta have a balcony:-D

I was on the Star last week and it was Spring Break for a lot of the kids. THere were 900 of them. If you are up on deck by the pool you will see a bunch of them. Also in the buffet during lunch time.

Other than that, I rarely saw them except occasionally in the elevator. Most of them hang out in the kid zones.

I would focus more on where to go and the price.

If you can't swing a balcony, def try for an ocean view room. I loved watching the dolphins from my state room. We were on deck 5 and had one of the best views on the entire ship.

That't the thing and public schools vary. When we scheduled our June 21 cruise, that was the first date my nephew would be available because his school year ends the week before. He is from Colorado. Around here in Connecticut, that is considered early and a lot of my friends who might have cruised with us cannot because their kids are still in school. So, I am thinking (hoping) June is a lot better than July in terms of the number of school-age kids on board.

I know areas of the country are different and here in the south the last day of school is June 4th

Helllllllo there!

Anywhere from 5-8 days.

Has a great spa.

Luxurious.

Romantic-like.

Thanks guys!!!!

Are you figuring airfare as part of this? If you are, even on an inside, you probably can't make it happen. That's not to discourage you, but it would be a lot of work to find those sort of fares.

Personally, I would never book another Caribbean cruise in the summer months. It's pretty hot here in Maryland in the summer but it was really hot in some of the ports of call in the Caribbean. We found the bugs horrible and were not allowed in the water several days of our first cruise due to box jellyfish. If you are happy laying on the beach that is ok, but most people want to experience everything. I wouldn't do the summer Caribbean ever again. That's just me though.

You might want to investigate the NCL Sky or Royal Caribbean Majesty of the Seas for the four day to the Bahamas very early June. It's not the Carribean, but you would get your first taste of cruising. It would probably fit in your price range and the ships will fit your criteria very well I believe. What I love about the Royal Caribbean cruise is they have a stop at Key West which if you haven't been there is an awesome town! The only sad thing about Key West is the ships have to leave before sunset, so you miss the whole sunset festival thing, but you can just do like we did, drive down and stay for a few days. There really is a lot to see there and staying there is worthwhile. You will fit very well as far as your ages in Key West.

The only other suggestion is that you can watch for sales in order to get what you are looking for. Remember though, the price that you see is not what you will end up paying. There are port charges which vary depending on where you take the ship from. You will need to add in your tipping or in NCL's case, the service charge....not sure how RCL handles theirs. Shore excursions are not the cheapest if you take them from the ship, but they are a guarantee that the ship won't leave without you if you book from their vendors. Just an example, one of the ones that I am looking at presently on the cruise I have booked for December will cost $110 a piece for my hubby and I.

There is only so much luxury that the money you want to spend is going to buy for you. If you are looking for more, why not save for what you really want and take it at a time that you aren't dealing with kids, noise and so forth! That way, you will really be happy when you go, it won't be a trade off, and it will be money well spent!:)

you should definitely consider ncl sky for june. me and my bf are going june 1st to 5th. we are in our mid 20s and are looking for the same things as you...and we only spent around $1000 (including taxes). We booked an inside superior for 309 each and booked flights from providence for 150 each through southwest. it is totally doable. i checked the prices and they have yet to change for our cruise. good luck!!!

Folks, I know that a lot of you disagree with what I wrote about Carnival and RCL. And especially the short cruises. And, I would agree with you.

However, we need to look at what the OP wrote that is the most important...the date she wants to sail and the price she wants to spend. For $1500 for the 2 of them, going to the Caribbean(not Bahama's) in June, what I quoted are her only options.

The other trips that you all suggested look great...but the prices unfortunately don't. :) The OP is going to have to decide which are the most important things to her and if it's the money, then the other cruises are out unfortunately.

CG

Archived