Romantic, non child filled cruise?

simstar

We're looking for a ship that goes to the Caribbean.

Large enough so that we will not be inundated with kiddies.

Anywhere from 5-8 days.

Has a great spa.

Luxurious.

Romantic-like.

Young, but mature crowd. (NOT girls gone wild/frat boy style!!!!)

Great ports of call. With exciting, fun excursions!

Looking to spend around $1200-$1500 US dollars, total for our trip!

I too suggest Bermuda... the sea days can be very romantic, there is lots of fun stuff to do in Bermuda AND lots of secluded nooks and crannies along the shore.

Romance is in the attitude, not in the surroundings - though distractions are an issue. I've been traveling on a budget my whole life and wonder if you might have a

plan A

Take off the week you'd like to cruise... watch the fares and if they go down and you find they hit your target... pounce! Maybe watch Boston and NY... (I have never done this but admire folks who have and maybe you could get some tips here on CC.)

and a plan B.

If not, there are oodles of great romantic spots, as I'm sure you know in the Poconos and Pennsylvania, etc.

Being frugal doesn't mean giving up good times it means being flexible, IMHO.

Quick question: by TOTAL do you mean everything? Beverages, spa, excursions? If so, even hoping for great fares I fear you might go over budget... and if that budget is written in stone you might want to rethink...

There are lots of little charges that add up on a cruise. For example you'd need to add $12/day pp to the fare for the 'service charge' - almost $170. Three drinks per day at a modest cruise price of $6 per drink is $290 (incl tip... bar bills are very often waaaay over that!). That's 30% of your budget... Don't mean to put a damper on your plan but also don't want you to book something and end up overspending... especially on a first trip with a boyfriend!

Airfare from JFK on American is surprisingly cheap at the moment for June. :D A guarantee share inside for 4 June on RCI is $960 plus airfare of $358 for two which is a grand total of $1318. That's before any tips/service charge, drinks, shore excursions, spa trips.

Carnival guarantee inside for a Western Caribbean leaving 1 June is $663 plus $358 on American for a total of $1021. That's also before any additional things.

Both of these are for four days and there might be cheaper airfare.....I just chose who we usually fly on.

I personally wouldn't sail on Carnival because my cousin told me when you hear people describe it as "Party Barge" they are not lying. I also have a friend who is the same age as I am (47) and they swear by Carnival. The difference is they are on longer cruises.

I suggested the Bahama itinerary ($1238 before additions on RCI) because they would still have the benefit of going on a cruise (oceanview room incidentally....inside was more!) and the three stops RCI makes really don't require booking shore excursions. The way I see it, their criteria isn't really being met one way or another. There is not the 5 to 8 days they wanted, the spa is totally out, depending on localities, there could be kids, they are going to close on what they want to budget which is why my suggestion was to save a little more and go where you want to go and make it really memorable. I don't want to touch the word luxury....it means different things to different people.

I have been married to my one and only for 28 years and romance can be anywhere you want it to be. You don't need a cruise to make it happen. Some of our most romantic times have been going to a winery or picnic in the park in our Miata. Cruises for us are down time....relaxation!

Folks, I know that a lot of you disagree with what I wrote about Carnival and RCL. And especially the short cruises. And, I would agree with you.

However, we need to look at what the OP wrote that is the most important...the date she wants to sail and the price she wants to spend. For $1500 for the 2 of them, going to the Caribbean(not Bahama's) in June, what I quoted are her only options.

The other trips that you all suggested look great...but the prices unfortunately don't. :) The OP is going to have to decide which are the most important things to her and if it's the money, then the other cruises are out unfortunately.

CG

I know she said Caribbean, but maybe Bermuda didn't occur to her. It is just as nice, if not nicer, than Caribbean and would suit all her other needs, especially leaving from the NY area - it saves money, not having to fly, and you get more time on vacation with a 7 day cruise.

I know she said Caribbean, but maybe Bermuda didn't occur to her. It is just as nice, if not nicer, than Caribbean and would suit all her other needs, especially leaving from the NY area - it saves money, not having to fly, and you get more time on vacation with a 7 day cruise.

I missed that she was from NY. I agree with you 100% that Bermuda would be the way to go. And, it just might be doable within her budget!

CG

Helllllllo there!

I am in my late 20's, and my boyfriend (31) and I are taking our FIRST trip together in June. :o We were interested in taking a cruise, but CLUELESS as to which cruise line would be the most suitable....

We're looking for a ship that goes to the Caribbean.

Large enough so that we will not be inundated with kiddies.

a) off season, when tykes r in school, Oct, early Nov & 1st 3 weeks of Dec worked out well for us.

b) bit of a surprise to most, yet DCL (although very expensive) has both a child free pool area & their own special adult beach @ Castaway Cay. I know many childless couples who prefer to sail with them. Note: even they have specials now & again

Anywhere from 5-8 days.

Has a great spa. carnival legend has a great gym, huge whirlpool, all looking out upon the sea & it's free:D

Luxurious.check out the ship pics u can easily find posted, grab a copy of berlitz/fodors/frommers; most ships pubic spaces are visually interesting, the postage sized cabins are another matter

Romantic-like.imo, all cruise ships can be romantic, the sea air & all;)

Young, but mature crowd. (NOT girls gone wild/frat boy style!!!!)do you mean young & sophisicated? longer cruise, probably best bet

Great ports of call. With exciting, fun excursions!

Looking to spend around $1200-$1500 US dollars, total for our trip!sign up with the different lines for email specials, u may be pleasantly surprised, especially 3 months or so ahead of time...we got a great deal to Alaska & another amazing rate for cruise booked in Dec.

Thanks guys!!!!

Archived