?'s about Cabin amenities on Silver Shadow

yogagal47

We will be cruising Alaska on Shadow June 7 and have a few ?'s

1. are there binoculars in the cabin and if so, can you take them on excursions and are they strong enough for observing wildlife and scenery from the ship?

2. Is there an ipod dock in the cabin?

3. what is the charge for internet if you want wifi for your own laptop and does the charge apply per cabin(example-we each have our own laptop)?

There are good binocs in the cabin but they are heavy if you want to take them ashore. There is no Ipod dock. Internet charges: 1000 minutes - $250; 250 minutes - $85; 100 minutes - $45; pay as you go - .50/min. You can share them I imagine. We just sign one of us up and we both use the system. I do not know about laptops. Enjoy!

Q: what is the charge for internet if you want wifi for your own laptop and does the charge apply per cabin(example-we each have our own laptop)?

A: The charges are as outlined above per ACCOUNT, i.e. you get an internet account with your name/password and the minutes are charged to this account. You can use your lap-top or an on-board computer to log into this account and then use the minutes you bought (or pay as you go). I don't know for sure, but assume that only one user can be on-line per account at the same time (i.e. you can use the same account AFTER each other from different lap-tops, but both of you can't be on-line at the same time).

You can use a cross-over CAT5 cable to share internet. One of you connects wirelessly, selecting "share this internet connection". Then you hook the two computers together using the cross-over CAT5 cable and the second computer will be able to access the internet through the first computer.

This does slow an already slow internet connection even further.

BTW: we choose a Vista cabin and keep the table set up in front of the window at all times to make room for the second computer. Then again, we don't dine in the room.

thanks to all for your replies. I think that these charges are a rip-off!

DH says he can get email on his blackberry and i think i will buy just enough minutes to check email every other day in the internet cafe/biz ctr.

Binoculars: they're medium size ones of the gray-khaki moulded plastic style.

They're probably 90% as good as you'd wish in that I seem to remember they are 8X50 which means you have to hold them v. steady.

But, then again, I've got a Thing about binoculars. I've never heard anyone else complain about the Ship's.

My experience: I took my own (7X30) the first time and then saw the Ship's on the last day and so the next time out used the Ship's with fairly OK results; but this time (for the Arctic) will be taking my own.

Still on the subject of binoculars, why not buy a pair of Zeiss or Leica 10x25 (foldable) opera glasses. They are so small and light, and so versatile, with great colour and image rendition. Once you have tried Leica or Zeiss, you won't want any other brand. You can carry it on all subsequent voyages/trips.

One of the guest lecturers on the last cruise heartily recommended your solution, Meow!, and so I was heading in that direction.

But, those Zen-Ray's (never heard of the Brand) look just the bee's knees for peering out from a Ship too. And I like the idea of the 8 X 42.

Looks like my old 8 X 30's will be staying home this time and we'll be taking up with one of these two ideas. Thanks.

But, as I said, if you're not really fussy, the ones on board will do all day long. (They say you can buy them from SS if you want. And, I think I am wrong about their size: it may be they are 10 x30.)

We bought two pairs of terrific compact binoculars that fit right into pocket or purse. More often than not though we either forget them at home or if not, forget them in the cabin. I should put a post-it on the door to remind me.

Wripro, we did the same thing and love those portable things, but if I had to stake my life on where they are at this moment, I would be facing my maker.

Regarding taking the SS ones off, you can do so as long as you get them back before debarkation.

I have not bought it yet, but there is a small travel speaker for iPod at Walmart that gets very good reviews. I have a Bose dock/speaker, but it is far too heavy for travel, also too expensive to have something happen to it.

The one at Walmart is the iHome portable speaker for iPod, model IHM3B, for $19.88. It runs on electricity (and maybe on batteries also, don't recall). I spent quite a bit of time researching inexpensive iPod speakers and this seemed to get the best reviews of anything that I found in the cheap and easily portable category.

Archived