Overnight parking at Kahului and Nawiliwili

Mauser girl

We are also just back from our cruise and parked overnight at the airport, it was really painless and legal. The $15 to park was monitored by a ticket that you got when you entered the lot. It was easy. Just took the shuttle back to the airport/car rental area and we were on our way. We had rented cars in all the ports, but missed going to Kona as that is a tender port and the weather service said there was a big storm with heavy rain and high winds, so we didn't get off the ship. We got a sea day instead and got to see the whale wild life refuge area and Molokai island. Just need to make sure if you reserve a car that you won't get charged if something like that happens.

• Like 1

It's understandable to me for rental car agencies to inform cruise ship passengers to not park at the mall. If it was towed that would create issues for them to retrieve it from the impound lot & getting the renter to pay for towing, storage & possibly for a parking citation.

I'm frugal when I need to be but with so many discussions going on about overnight parking, who is to say when they start cracking down. I had read on this forum that you can take any rental car shuttle since they all are next to each other. We tried getting on a Hertz shuttle and he asked us for reservations. So obviously, they have caught on to this trick and are putting a stop to it. We could have lied and said we will reserve when we get there but were embarrassed enough. You are spending in thousands to get there, why cheat for $15 ? Not worth the headache and stress.

• 1 year later...

Be careful with port parking - not all options are legal. Here is what we learned when we cruised earlier this month.

Kahului (Maui): The Maui Mall shopping center is across from the pedestrian exit. You will see signs for Long's Drugs and Whole Foods. However, there are many signs saying that parking is for customers only. You can probably get away with an hour or so, to make a brief return to your cabin. But I would not park there overnight. The legal option is to park at Maui Beach Hotel. It was $5 for the night. The piece of mind is worth the extra walk.

Nawiliwili (Kauai): As you leave the ship, turn right on Waapa Rd and you'll see a few free parking spaces along the road. These fill up quickly. Your next option is to go to the Anchor Cove shopping center. Get an overnight parking pass for $20 from JJ's Broiler, at the far end of the shopping center.

This is correct as of now, but things may change in the future.

Edited by gglockner
  • Thanks 1

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, CHAMPDDS said:

We will be there in March and renting a car in Kahului, Maui....are overnight parking options still the same?

Yes, airport or Maui Beach Hotel, however the price at Maui Beach Hotel has gone up to $10 (according to the NCL groups I am in on FB).  Airport was $15 when we parked there in November.

Edited by Beachiekeen
  • Like 2