Carnival TV

jmom5

We will be going on Carnival for the first time in September 2009. What kind of television stations do they have on the ships? Do they show movies on your stateroom TV's or just out by the pool? We have only been on RCCL and while the movies they show all day are great, the TV stations are lacking, so I am anxious to hear what stations are available on Carnival! BTW, we will be on the Freedom, don't know if that will make a difference.

You will receive the ABC, NBC, CBS and FOX network programming from their local affiliates in Denver. A few cable channels will be available, Cnn Headline, ESPN Deportes, and one or two others. Several other channels will be various ship information and advertising. There will be movies but only a few. Running times will be printed in the Carnival Capers.

They have ABC, NBC, CBS and news stations....I think CNN and a couple of others. But....the ABC, NBC and CBS are out of Denver!

There are 2-3 stations that play movies all day as well as about three pay-per-view.

Then, there are stations that advertize Carnival products, some that show the webcams, weather, etc.

Also, there are stations that show the talks that are held in the lounge...like port info and debark info.

Do the standard (non-suite) rooms have DVD players?

No,

On most ships the suites have VCR's :eek: Only the newest ships have DVD players in the suites. Some people have had success with plugging portable DVD players into the TV but I havn't done it.

No,

On most ships the suites have VCR's :eek: Only the newest ships have DVD players in the suites. Some people have had success with plugging portable DVD players into the TV but I havn't done it.

What's a VCR? :D

Only problem with Denver tv stations is that they are two hours behind eastern timezone. So, if a show starts at 10 pm, you'll see it at midnight on a Caribbean cruise. But I don't know of other cruiselines that even carry network stations. One plus for Princess is US ESPN programming. You can get all of your sports news and many games too. It would be nice if Carnival would pick up that station. Saw Sox-Yanks last Friday, NFL draft first and second rounds, TNT feeds of NBA playoff games, and more. Not bad.

Thanks for the replies! Do you know if you can hook up a dvd player to a standard stateroom television? RCCL has all the hookups disabled so we have never had any success with that on their line.

All I can tell you is that some people have had success hooking up portable DVD players and some have not. Some ships had tv's with audio/video in jacks on the front of the TV's. Other ships had no input jacks except the 75 ohm cable jack in the back.

Good Luck. :)

They have started replacing the VCRS and DVD Players in the suites with the video plates. They have the yellow red and white hookups at the desk so you can hook up your own stuff.

BTW: The ones on the Freedom are combo. So they have both VCR and DVD players. They have these in the suites. They also had them in the weird shaped rooms on deck 6 on the Freedom that are around the stairs at the aft so the balcony is huge.

News stations. They had some regular channels like TNT, TBS and the CW. They have cabin movies that play all day. The moveis & times are in the Carnival capers (the paper w/ the days activies & times). The capers will also tell you what's playing on the big screen tv on the Lido Deck.

I just got off the Freedom, and they had the usuals:

ABC

NBC

CBS

Fox

all from Denver. It was great to hear about the snow there...

They had headline news, TNT international movie station (it only showed movies) a cartoon station, and some other station. It didn't even have regular CNN or CNN international.

In the "sports themed" bar, they had ESPN, but it was ESPN international which kindly advertised all of the regular ESPN and ESPN 2 programming, but showed horse racing and soccer replays.

So, for anyone on the ship that was looking for NBA/NHL playoffs, they were disappointed. (and usually vocal about it)

I understand it is the satellite, but if they get regular ESPN and other stations in the Caribbean, why can't they get them on the ship? Not that you go on ship to watch TV, but it is nice to catch up on scores or watch your regular show before you go to sleep at night.

Every cruise I have been on, it is such a major issue in the sports bar too, I feel bad for the bar tenders who can't explain WHY the ESPN they get isn't what you get at home, or WHY the Denver station is on instead of the Miami one.

You mean that I won't be able to watch my Capitals Hockey in the Sports Bar??? :eek: I cruise next week and they play 4 nights against Pittsburgh.:mad: Oh well, guess I will be finding something else to do with my time.:rolleyes: "any ideas"????

You mean that I won't be able to watch my Capitals Hockey in the Sports Bar??? :eek: I cruise next week and they play 4 nights against Pittsburgh.:mad: Oh well, guess I will be finding something else to do with my time.:rolleyes: "any ideas"????

Oh c'mon .... you didn't know that the NHL's national broadcast contract with with NBC, and they only show Saturday Matinee games? :rolleyes: They won't even pick up the Stanley Cup Finals until games 5, 6, and 7.

(Or am I the only hockey geek who knows who's playing on what Centre Ice/Versus/NHL Network channel on any given night?)

Archived