Denied Boarding

rosh7674

Three people (2 crew and 1 passenger) displayed flu like symptoms onboard the Adventure of the Seas and all 3,000+ passengers were denied entry to two ports.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=3263

That is why when someone may be sick they are not allowed on. One family's ruined vacation is a lot better than 1,000.

I can't believe all the people encouraging others to lie. If you read the latest cruise news and see how two ports of calls have denied Rccl from stopping, I would be pissed to have to missed those stops over three people being sick. I know you are paying a lot of money to cruise, so is everyone else. So don't punish a whole ship for you being in denial of your child or anyone else in your party of being sick.

Also FYI they are now handing out sickness questionairs that every stateroom has to fill out and sign. They are asking questions now that pertain to colds, fevers, sniffles, not just vomitting. So everyone please be honest and keep the entire ship, crew and other guest safe. And remember you are signing this form so if you lie and end up being sick you will be held liable.

It is just common sense, please don't leave home without it!

Just my 2 cents.

A while back wife and I boarded a cruise and within 3 days there was a massive norvo (sp?) virus outbreak. A full 1/3 of the passengers and crew, including my wife and I, were very sick. I lost 10 - 12 lbs over the next 5 days.

Our cruise was ruined, and there was no compensation (over $6,000 lost on our part).

Someone brought it on board.

DDWW

just curious - when i was pg i had morning sickness from week 6 to 4 hours before i delivered dd. after i threw up i was good to go until the next morning.

if i was going on a cruise would i have to tell them i threw up? would i be denied boarding?

just wondering - we're still trying for a second child and wonder what would happen.

you'd think it would be different but unless thing have changed, when my cousin was about 4 or 5 months they went on an Alaskan cruise - can't remember who it was with and she said she had been sick - they almost denied her boarding.

i can't remember everything that happened but it wasn't as easy as just saying it's morning sickness.

that's why i ask if it's different.

Thank you to the nurse that denied the boarding. I just got off the Diamond Princess and had to deal with the ramifications of a norovirus outbreak. Luckily neither my wife or myself got sick, but enough people did that it impacted the cruise quality for everyone and significantly impacted the cruise for at least a couple of hundred people that were quarantined to their rooms. All this because at least one person decided to come on board while sick. Being denied boarding is terrible for this one family, but potentially contaminating hundreds is worse in the overall picture.

Disney has so much money, why not go after them? I'm sure a lawyer will take your case, and you might end up with a lawyer taking up 1/3 of your cabin. Soooo glad you missed the boat! It wasn't the End of the World. All of the passengers, that did not get sick on your missed cruise, really didn't even Miss You, and the potential ptoblems you wanted to bring on-board. Metrowon

Disney has so much money, why not go after them? I'm sure a lawyer will take your case, and you might end up with a lawyer taking up 1/3 of your cabin. Soooo glad you missed the boat! It wasn't the End of the World. All of the passengers, that did not get sick on your missed cruise, really didn't even Miss You, and the potential ptoblems you wanted to bring on-board. Metrowon

Bad Idea.

"<Lawyers are> like nuclear warheads. They have theirs, so I have mine. Once you use them, they <mess> up everything." - Lawrence Garfield, Other Peoples' Money

I think it takes common sense when answering the questionaire. For example, ds and I have nervous stomachs and tend to get upset tummies when we travel. I would never be able to cruise if I had to answer "yes" to a couple of those questions. But we can tell when we are truly sick, or it's just a nervous stomach. And we always travel with Imodium for this reason. And it does clear up the problem quickly. Sorry, I know it's TMI.:(

It is just plain wrong to board a ship knowing that you are contageous with a stomach virus or flu though.

I do have to commend DCL on how well they handle things. I love that they hand out handi wipes all over the ship. It really does remind us how important hand washing is.

It is just plain wrong to board a ship knowing that you are contageous with a stomach virus or flu though.

Exactly. But I believe this report from the OP, if we can take it as completely truthful, encourages people to lie thinking they will not be treated fairly and rationally by DCL or another cruise line. It would be different if the report said b/c I answered yes, by child's temperature was taken, b/c she had a small fever, a doctor did an exam and said there was too good of a chance it could be the flu, so we were denied boarding.

If we saw other reports saying my child had to be examined but they saw it was an ear infection and we got on......... that would be different, then you would have some confidence in the system.

Maybe if another report said we were denied boarding and good thing b/c she spent two days throwing up and then we got it and did too and I was glad to be in a hotel room instead of at see, we had to hit an emergency care center for IV fluids........ that would be different.

If people perceive the process as fair, they will comply and answer truthfully, if they deem it unfair, they will not. How many people disregard rules and smuggle booze onboard other lines b/c they don't think it's fair, other lines allow you to bring it. A more through procedure besides the questionaire would encourage the desired result so to the extend cruiselines are not doing that, they encourage under reporting of symptoms.

OP should have taken the offer.

Cruise line's responsibility MAY have extended to cost of passage, but NOT to such secondary or "consequential" items as familiy transport to FL, meals, hotels, TICKETS TO SEA WORLD (R U KIDING me!). Had the family chartered a private jet to Orlando, should cruise line be charged for that? Give me a break.

Taken in context cruise line acted responsibly. Schools were closing all over U.S., during the period in question. Our school district imposed 3-day ban on any student who simply travelled to an area that had a reported case of swine flu. Nightly news had story after story about impending pandemic.

Suppose for a moment that the OP's daughter really was contagious. Would cruise line be correct to deny boarding? Of course! Would cruise line then be liable for all the preposterous things that the OP demands? Not in my world!

As the old saying goes...when someone says, "it's not about the money." You can be sure that it's about the money.

Some folks are speaking of the swine flu in the past tense. While the media might have become bored with it, it's still out there, infecting and killing people so due diligence is still in order.

From the CDC:

On June 11, 2009, the
(WHO) raised the worldwide pandemic alert level to
in response to the ongoing global spread of the novel influenza A (H1N1) virus. A Phase 6 designation indicates that a global pandemic is underway.

More than 70 countries are now reporting cases of human infection with novel H1N1 flu. This number has been increasing over the past few weeks, but many of the cases reportedly had links to travel or were localized outbreaks without community spread. The WHO designation of a pandemic alert Phase 6 reflects the fact that there are now ongoing community level outbreaks in multiple parts of world.

In the United States, most people who have become ill with the newly declared pandemic virus have recovered without requiring medical treatment, however, CDC anticipates that there will be more cases, more hospitalizations and more deaths associated with this pandemic in the coming days and weeks. In addition, this virus could cause significant illness with associated hospitalizations and deaths in the fall and winter during the U.S. influenza season.

http://www.cdc.gov/h1n1flu/update.htm

So, enjoy your cruise!

This is such an interesting thread. On the one hand, I totally sympathize with OP, we who have cruised Disney know the great anticipation, the kid's excitment stoking our own when arriving at the terminal. Can you imagine her poor daughter's crushing disappointment after receiving the surprise of her life and then being denied it?? It would be enough to push a parent over the edge.

Are the questionaires something new? I don't recall filling one out last year.

The "have you vomited in the last 3 days?" question is too ambiguous. A true illness is only one of many reasons people vomit. As posted earlier, morning sickness, a weak stomach, getting choked, coughing too hard, motion sickness etc. are all valid causes that are no threat to other passengers. My nephew throws up every time something grosses him out. So does that make it right to disguise the truth? Of course not. But worded differently, the questionaire could gather more accurate information, avoid confusion, and not tempt passengers to stretch the truth.

On the other hand, I imagine myself and my kids on our Disney cruise. What if someone lied on their questionaire and brought something contagious onboard and ruined our vacation? What if there are otherwise healthy children onboard that this illness had life threatening affects on? It is proven that illness spreads quickly on cruise ships, much differently than in resort and other environments.

The cruise line will always err on the side of safety, even if it means angering or disappointing passengers. Their ultimate goal has to be passenger safety, and if that comes at the expense of a few angry/disappointed passengers then it is a sacrifice that has to be made for the good of the majority.

Has the OP been back to answer any of the recent questions or even comment?

I have to say that I commend the nurse to deny boarding as I wouldn't want to get sick due to someone else. I would be pissed. However, I do think you should get some kind of refund since you did not take the cruise......

To the OP: Have you accepted any type of refund from them? Is it still valid today?

We are taking my cystic fibrosis child on a disney cruise in December. He also has gastric reflux. He vomits often over nothing!!!!

I won't be telling them he vomited....that would mean he would never get on a Disney cruise!!!!:eek:

I'd be kickin and screaming too, if they put him in isolation because of it.....it is not a contagious condition and sure hope thye ask questions first:eek:!

My DD has Grade IV Reflux with a paralytic sphincter. She pukes if she laughs too hard. She pukes if she breaths too hard. LOL.....;) I fill out our medical form and have her MD sign it just for that reason. If she does not have a fever and pukes, the CM will know it is her reflux. With the CF, you should be filling out a form anyway due to the need for limited activity in the humid weather; so just add that to your form. (The reflux)...

just curious - when i was pg i had morning sickness from week 6 to 4 hours before i delivered dd. after i threw up i was good to go until the next morning.

if i was going on a cruise would i have to tell them i threw up? would i be denied boarding?

just wondering - we're still trying for a second child and wonder what would happen.

Okay, totally different. If you are pregnant, then you have to have a form signed by your OB/Gyn or CNM saying that you are 23 weeks pregnant or less at the time of cruise. You are not allowed to cruise at 24 weeks, so the cruiseline is very aware you are pregnant and this related illness would not count!

Archived