The Story of our trip to Rio, Iguazu, and the Antarctica with the MV FRAM, Feb. 09

caramelo

The following day, Sunday, 22nd of February, 2009, a different guide, Ivan, came to collect us to bring us from Foz do Iguazu, Brazil over to the Argentinian side, to Puerto de Iguazú, passing on our way the “Triple Frontier Landmark”.

dsc03895.jpg

Reaching the frontier ……. They had the colour from the flags of the two countries painted on the sides of the main road, yellow and green for Brazil and blue and white for Argentina.

dsc03900nnz.jpg

dsc03911l.jpg

We stopped the car off the road to take some photos and Ivan asked us not to take long and when we saw some people from the nearby fields approaching we understood why. When we returned to the car Ivan explained that the area is not very safe but normally there are no problems, but that on one occasion a woman tourist was killed here, they wanted to rob her camera and she wouldn´t give it to them and they killed her, exactly at the same point where we had got out to take photos.

dsc03914o.jpg

At the frontier it was necessary to hand over the white piece of paper which was our temporary visa slip of paper as we were now leaving Brazil and we realized the importance of having insisted that we were given back this paper when the staff member at Sao Paolo airport wanted to keep it!

We arrived at Puerto Iguazu

dsc03921v.jpg

This is one of the typical streets of the village:

dsc03926y.jpg

And these are the 2 oldest houses in Puerto Iguazu:

dsc03933p.jpg

dsc03934ziu.jpg

From there we went to the “Triple Frontier” which was very interesting. You are standing on the Argentinian side and just a few meters to your left is Paraguay and the same distance to your right hand side is Brazil.

The following photo, which is not one of mine, helps to explain this better. In this photo Argentina is on the left, Brazil is on the right, and Paraguay is in front. We were in Argentina and the point with the landmark is known as the Triple Frontier:

izqargdchbrasilfrentepa.jpg

It is a very small distance between the 3 countries but I couldn´t fit it into one photo and unfortunately they didn´t have a postcard of this either…… they were at the printers being printed. We really enjoyed seeing this place.

These are the photos which I took from the “Triple Frontier”:

dsc03963j.jpg

Argentina:

dsc03948p.jpg

This symbol painted blue and white marks the land in Argentina. If you stand beside this symbol and you look towards the water, this is the view, towards the left you can see another symbol (small) with the colours of Paraguay:

dsc03944j.jpg

Here it is a bit bigger with the zoom....

dsc03939l.jpg

And from the same place, to the right you can see the symbol with the green and yellow colours for Brazil:

dsc03949o.jpg

Ivan stopped in a place where we could change currency because in order to reach our hotel we had to pass through and pay for the entrance to the National Park which costs 60 pesos per person and they only accept the local money. It was a distance of 18 km away so if you don´t have the local money then you would have to come back the 18km to change money.

When the car was stopped we were amazed to see that the counter marking the kilometres on the car read more than 800.000 km....... but the car was running perfectly and it didn´t seem very old, and a proud Ivan explained that the car was 8 years old and did an average of 100.000 km each year and that he looked alter it very well, and that he hoped to still manage to do about 500.000 km more!!!! And with the first motor!!!

dsc03922.jpg

We arrived at the National Park.

dsc03969.jpg

dsc03970.jpg

dsc03972z.jpg

The location of our hotel was excellent as it was situated directly at the Waterfalls.

dsc03994q.jpg

This was our first image taken from the reception of the hotel.

dsc03973e.jpg

Our room was very good and with views as nice as those from the reception.

dsc03978e.jpg

It was 12 o´clock, and the Argentinian side is one tour ahead of the Brazilian side, which we found out just by chance.

So as not to lose time, we just left our cases in the hotel and headed directly to the Falls.

dsc03185c.jpg

I found the following sign very interesting:

dsc03995c.jpg

This time we went on our own without any guide with our map and everything was very well indicated.

mapacataratasycircuitos.jpg

The first that we saw was this group of butterflys:

dsc03057w.jpg

We took the ecological train from the central station, which was situated, at approx. 500m walking distance from the hotel.

dsc03175s.jpg

We went to the Waterfalls Station and from there we walked the route to the Devil´s Throat.

dsc03060.jpg

On the way we saw a lot of rivers and vegetation, etc.

dsc03064j.jpg

dsc03067n.jpg

And we could see our hotel in the middle:

dsc03085g.jpg

We carried on our route……

dsc03109z.jpg

dsc03118.jpg

Alter we had seen everything so wonderful the day before from the Brazilian side, I had doubts as to whether 2 days at the falls would be too much, or that perhaps the Argentinian side would be disappointing when comparing it to the Brazil side, but this was not in the least so, the Argentinian side was just as beautiful and it turned out to be just as wonderful and an unforgettable day like the previous one…… Both sides are incredible, probably the most beautiful thing we have seen where nature goes up to now. The 2 sides are just totally different, they say that Brazil is great for the photos and the views and Argentina for the closeness and the sensation of nearly being able to touch the water, but each side is beautiful.

dsc03122v.jpg

dsc03160u.jpg

dsc03156.jpg

dsc03148q.jpg

After the Devil´s Throat, we did the “lower circuit”. It is a very nice route and we were very lucky as on the way we saw many Coatis both adults and babys.

dsc03184.jpg

dsc03193x.jpg

dsc03195.jpg

dsc03210w.jpg

You have to be careful when eating on the terrace of the restaurant as the coatis come and take your food!!! Here they were at somebody´s bag:

dsc03205.jpg

And this was one of the coati babies:

dsc03321d.jpg

The lower trail is really lovely and just when you think you have seen the best, you come across something even nicer. We saw the main Falls such as the “Alvar Núñez”:

dsc03231.jpg

The “Two Sisters” Falls:

dsc03311k.jpg

“Bossetti”:

dsc03284.jpg

And with a rainbow:

dsc03301d.jpg

You can see the excursion boat approaching:

dsc03265.jpg

Closer, you can hardly see the boat there:

dsc03273.jpg

And they get soaked…..!!!

dsc03269.jpg

We also saw some lizards…..

dsc03223.jpg

And a group of 3 of them ……..

dsc03255.jpg

When we finished we were totally exhausted and very hot and we arrived back at the hotel at about 5pm. We went urgently for a swim in the pool which was absolutely great.

dsc04002.jpg

There were some exotic and elegant birds walking around the pool.

dsc04011.jpg

dsc04009.jpg

Later we had dinner at the hotel restaurant which was very good, the well known meat in Argentina:

dsc04025.jpg

After dinner we went to our hotel room where we sat having a drink on our terrace watching the sun going down.

dsc04032b.jpg

It was a magical night with the nice views, the sound of pure nature and the birds singing………

TO BE CONTINUED……………… WITH OUR ARRIVAL IN BUENOS AIRES…………. WHERE WE WOULD MEET UP WITH THE GOUP FOR OUR ANTARCTICA TRIP…………

We also saw some other animals, like this bird for example:

dsc03107.jpg

And this Iguana:

dsc03097c.jpg

dsc03098.jpg

And another butterfly whose colours I liked:

dsc03084.jpg

And more birds:

dsc03164l.jpg

dsc03166.jpg

Thanks for all the beautiful photos of the falls and the interesting wildlife.

Does anyone know the name of that beautiful bird with the bright yellow underbelly and eye, with blue eyelid? Mother Nature at its best!

I´ve no idea of the name of this bird, hopefully somebody here might be able to help us identify it??????

Snowboard1, I was delighted with the Fram and can only say good about it...... I will cover it soooooooon here with photos. The Expedition team were really professional and the ship is built for this type of trip.

I´ll continue with more in the next day or so....... :)

We also saw some other animals, like this bird for example:

And this Iguana:

dsc03097c.jpg

dsc03098.jpg

Hi, this is not an Iguana. FYI, it is an Argentinean Giant Black & White Tegu. I know because we have one as a pet. They are very intelligent.

Btw, this one is a young female. I can tell by the slim head. They eat mostly live prey. Congrats if you saw this one in Argentina. We only saw them on the Brazil side on our way down to the falls.

Thanks Jade13 for explaining that it is actually an Argentinean Giant Black & White Tegu...... I´d never heard the name before!!! That was interesting.

I will carry on with the story:

Monday, 23rd of February, 2.009.

We set the alarm clock for 6 am……. I normally hate to get up so early especially on holidays, this time it wasn´t necessary but we wanted to see our last image of the Falls at Sunrise. Unfortunately we set the clock too early as the sun didn´t rise until 6:45am!

dsc04079.jpg

We had breakfast and we had to reorganize our suitcases as this particular flight today has a weight limit of 15 kilos per suitcase per person. We put items that weighed a lot in our hand luggage but even then we were still over the limit but in the end nobody controlled the weight of the suitcases or said anything about being over weight.

Iguazu Airport:

dsc04083y.jpg

image.php?v=Pq2d8Eh0

dsc04085.jpg

We took the flight with “Aerolíneas Argentina” with the company “Austral” which lasted 1 hour and 50 minutes.

dsc04092t.jpg

As soon as the plane took off we saw again the Falls. It was very funny as my husband asked me why had we paid for a helicopter trip when one got such a good view now from the aeroplane!!!

dsc04102h.jpg

dsc04103.jpg

And these were our first views of Buenos Aires:

dsc04142.jpg

dsc04138c.jpg

dsc04153z.jpg

A representative of the Hurtigruten company, the company organizing the Antarctic Expedtion, was waiting to collect us at Buenos Aires airport when we arrived.

dsc04489v.jpg

We were taken to our hotel, the NH City Hotel in the Bolivar street.

dsc05858p.jpg

The hotel was very central, situated right reside the Plaza de Mayo square. The hotel is quite old and was totally different to the images published in their brochure and was quite inferior comparing it to other hotels that we have known from the NH group

We went out for a walk in the area close to the hotel. It was very hot.

We saw quite quickly the Plaza de Mayo Squire with the National Government House (The Pink House):

dsc04207f.jpg

dsc04210x.jpg

dsc04264a.jpg

The 9th of July Avenue is the widest avenue in the World, approximately 130 meters wide and as far as I can remember about 14 different lanes. You can not see this clearly in my photos as it is impossible to fit in the total width:

dsc04240v.jpg

However, I bought this postcard and with the view from above, you can get a better idea of the width and the different traffic lanes:

escanear0001m.jpg

The Obelisk:

dsc04226c.jpg

dsc04287vej.jpg

dsc04298b.jpg

The Cathedral:

dsc04217b.jpg

And this is again the area where our hotel was located:

dsc04225h.jpg

We only saw everything very briefly considering that we had reserved a city tour excursion to see Buenos Aires on our return back on the 4th of March, 2.009.

We returned to the hotel, had a shower and got ready to go to see the Dinner and Tango Show “Esquina de Carlos Gardel”. We were collected by a minibus which held about 20 people and we spent approximately half an hour collecting all the other clients from the different hotels. This half hour for us was like a “mini city tour” as we saw a lot of the streets and buildings while driving around.

We arrived at the theater where the Tango Show was going to be held:

dsc04304d.jpg

This is the publicity for the Show, although it comes out rather dark:

tango2.jpg

carlosgardel2.jpg

It was really great and we were lucky that our table was in a very good position. We sat between a young couple from Rio de Janeiro and we had a Spanish couple on the other side, all who were very nice and we were chatting together for a long time.

dsc04307b.jpg

The dinner started at about 9pm and each dish of the menu had as a title the name of one of Carlos Gardel´s songs.

dsc04313z.jpg

I can not remember the name of my starter which were the pastry pies typical of Argentina and which were very Nasty, and my main course called “Mi Buenos Aires Querido” which was a sirloin steak ….which was not as good as I expected, maybe because I didn´t have an adequate knife to cut it properly and it was not sufficiently done and had quite a lot of fat. I had read in the forum before going that the dinners at the shows are not always the best and some people advised to have dinner in a different restaurant and then go and to the show at the theatre later without having the dinner there, but for us it was more convenient to have the dinner and the show together

The show was really excellent. It lasted from approx. 9:30pm until 00:15am. The dancers were fantastic. They started as if it were back in the years 1930. To me, the tango is not just like any dance as it is far more, I would say it is an art. There is nothing nicer than to watch a couple who can dance the tango properly.

dsc04363.jpg

dsc04364o.jpg

dsc04392.jpg

dsc04427n.jpg

dsc04435j.jpg

dsc04467.jpg

We arrived back at the hotel at about 01:00am, and then we had to leave our suitcases outside our hotel door (they would be collected and delivered to the airport, and then to the ship for us). We had to get up the next morning at 5am to give us time to get ready and have breakfast and to meet our group at 6am in the hotel reception to be transferred to the airport.

TO BE CONTINUED........ with Ushuaia.

Tuesday, the 24th of February, 2009.

dsc04490a.jpg

Leaving Buenos Aires:

dsc04493.jpg

dsc04496f.jpg

The flight took 3 hours and 40 minutes.

ushuaia.jpg

The following image is not one of my photos but I found it on Internet, but it shows well the size of the runway at Ushuaia which we could say is very small:

ushuaiaaeropuerto.jpg

This following one is my photo where you can see the runway:

dsc04526a.jpg

The landscape arriving at Ushuaia seen from the plane is lovely:

dsc04539.jpg

dsc04543axk.jpg

dsc04548.jpg

We put on the brakes hard ........ as there is no more runway, hihihi:

dsc04556.jpg

We arrived at Ushuaia airport at approximately 11am but we wouldn´t have access to the ship until 5pm.

The airport:

dsc04572q.jpg

dsc04578b.jpg

There were 2 options: do the organised excursion offered by Hurtigruten to the National Park or the 2nd option was to do an “orientation tour” free of cost to see Ushuaia very briefly and then have free time from 12 o´clock midday until 5pm to do whatever we want. We took the 2nd option, as we had already seen and done a lot between Rio de Janeiro and Iguazu and we were quite tired.

This 2nd option was very good and was convenient for us, as we didn´t have to worry about our suitcases and we could leave our hand luggage on the bus until we met back with the group at 5pm.

These were the first images which we had of Ushuaia, its streets and typical houses:

dsc04588q.jpg

dsc04590i.jpg

dsc04624f.jpg

dsc04607.jpg

dsc04611p.jpg

And the first image ……. That we were getting closer to seeing the penguins!:

dsc04618w.jpg

Archived