The Story of our trip to Rio, Iguazu, and the Antarctica with the MV FRAM, Feb. 09

caramelo

Do you mind clarifying whether the cost is a lot higher on the Fram or on others, as I haven't gone into the cost comparisons yet.

Please let me say that I am not the expert on pricing just yet but from what I have seen (some tours on the Fram for singles) appear to be cheaper than some of the other other as noted they may not go to the same places for example Georgia Island.

I noticed the prices on the National Geographic cruise seem to be quite high but it sure looked like a nice cruise. Hope there are others who are experts on the pricing that can comment.

Friday, the 27th of February.

escanear0002y.jpg

27thfeb.jpg

We were warned the evening before about the possibility of seeing whales between 6:30 and 7am but that this wasn´t guaranteed, but just in case….. we set our alarm clock for 6:30am. We didn´t see any whales but some of the other passengers did see one but just very briefly.

However we were not sorry that we had got up so early as the scenery at this time of the morning was fascinating and we were very lucky with the good weather and the sea was so calm that it was like a mirror.

See these images:

dsc03978.jpg

dsc03980.jpg

dsc03997p.jpg

We saw a group pf penguins jumping in the water very near our ship:

dsc04020.jpg

dsc03999.jpg

And more scenery:

dsc04022.jpg

dsc04029.jpg

dsc04038.jpg

We anchored before the Cuverville Islands at 8:30am and the first group went ashore.

Today they started with group number two, they call the groups on a rotating system which is fair as then it is not always the same groups who go first or last.

When we arrived ashore….. the penguins were already waiting for us .. you can see how close the come to our boat:

dsc04056.jpg

The penguins in Cuverville are the “Gentoo” type with the orange coloured beaks and feet.

dsc04050t.jpg

We got to go on land at about 10:40am and I calculate that this time we were there for quite a bit longer than an hour. Everything was so beautiful!

dsc04084.jpg

dsc04066.jpg

dsc04068.jpg

There were loads of penguins everywhere but they were totally different to the ones we had seen the day before.

dsc04071.jpg

dsc04072.jpg

They were very active and there were a lot of baby penguins. The babies were as tall as the adults but they were easy to recognise first because of their fluffy hair which they are now losing so they have patches with fluff and other patches without, and you could also recognise them by their infantile way of playing, runny around and crying with their mouths open running after their mother looking for her to give them food, etc.

dsc04091.jpg

And we saw other penguins jumping in the water:

dsc04213j.jpg

dsc04215.jpg

It had been a total dream and today we had the lottery with the weather. On the way back to the ship we were taken first on the “polar circle” boat for a drive around the different icebergs:

dsc04722.jpg

dsc04721l.jpg

dsc04734p.jpg

dsc04736c.jpg

dsc04744p.jpg

Our slip lifted up the anchor at about 1pm and we spent around 2 hours navigating through the Errera Channel, where we were able to enjoy some magnificent scenery and views. It all seemed so unreal and you can not believe that you are seeing this you’re your own eyes.

We saw some seals enjoying the sunshine lying on the top of an iceberg:

dsc04240.jpg

dsc04263.jpg

dsc04264.jpg

More scenery:

dsc04260.jpg

dsc04744p.jpg

dsc04302.jpg

And we saw more penguins jumping in the water, and the water was so calm that you could even see the penguin underneath the water…..:

dsc04272.jpg

And ……… I even managed to get this image of one penguin jumping out of the water and his reflection below making it look like a second penguin! I was very proud of this photo but it was just luck that it came out so clear and well:

dsc04277.jpg

Later we saw two whales but when we got closer they hid away and it was imposible to photograph them, I could only get this image:

dsc04329.jpg

And some icebergs with their blue colour:

dsc04284.jpg

dsc04285.jpg

dsc04233.jpg

dsc04873r.jpg

These are more images of the way between Cuverville and Neko Harbour, with the reflections in the water so you see everything double:

dsc04814c.jpg

dsc04815.jpg

At about 14:45pm we anchored again, this time at Neko Harbour.

escanear0002y.jpg

Our group went ashore from 5 until 6pm. We were welcomed by hundreds of penguins who were waiting for us as our boat arrived. We could see them from a distance before we arrived:

copiadedsc04845.jpg

This time the penguins were more curious and very active and the came up close to the people. You can see from the following photo how close they were to the people:

img0411t.jpg

dsc04357.jpg

dsc04378j.jpg

And some general images:

dsc04378.jpg

dsc04339.jpg

dsc04353p.jpg

dsc04359t.jpg

dsc04376u.jpg

And with the ship in the distance:

dsc04395j.jpg

dsc04383.jpg

There seemingly had been a refuge, a wooden type of hut, with the Argentinian flag which was here since 1949 called “Captain Fleiss” but it was totally destroyed by storms only about 10 days before we arrived here.

dsc04381j.jpg

There was a high hill where the people climbed up to see some panoramic views and some slid down again on their bottoms, the say that it takes 20 minutes to get up and 3 to come down!

img0480z.jpg

dsc04426.jpg

img0495i.jpg

We saw amazing sights, again the mothers feeding their young, surrounded by their enemies the Skuas who were awaiting their opportunity:

dsc04473.jpg

dsc04469.jpg

dsc04460.jpg

The young penguins running and falling in the snow, others playing in the water and some more dirty than others, hihihi :

dsc04491.jpg

dsc04385.jpg

dsc04386.jpg

dsc04451.jpg

And eating the snow:

dsc04416.jpg

In the morning, this image made me laugh, as it wasn´t a seal, but somebody even said that it was the ship´s doctor:

dsc04840.jpg

On the way back to the slip again we were brought amongst the many different icebergs and I was amazed by the blue colour they had. This day alone, I think I went toooooooo far…… I seeming took nearly 800 photos but although it seems a lot there was so much wonderful sceenery on the way and we also had two different landings. Also we were so lucky with the weather. Even one of the Expedition team told us that he has worked for many years in the Antarctica and this was only the second day he had experienced such good weather as we had today.

TO BE CONTINUED…………..

Saturday, the 28th of February.

28thfebt.jpg

We got up at 6:30am to see the passage through the “Lemaire Channel” which is 11 km long and 1,6km wide, although it seems a lot narrower.

dsc04503.jpg

dsc04499.jpg

dsc04509.jpg

dsc04510.jpg

With the following image you can calculate how narrow the area is, with the closeness of the ship and the rocks:

dsc04523.jpg

It was funny to see how the ship had to do some complicated manoeuvres to avoid the blocks of ice in its path.

dsc04519.jpg

dsc04520v.jpg

We saw a whale but it hid away quickly before I could take a photo, and then we saw some seals sleeping on some icebergs.

dsc04513.jpg

dsc04517.jpg

dsc04526.jpg

dsc04529.jpg

On the way we saw the HANSEATIC ship which stopped and gave way to our ship first:

dsc04533e.jpg

dsc04534z.jpg

Today we went ashore in “Petermann Island” from 10:30am to 11:30am.

escanear0004.jpg

These were our first images arriving at the island:

dsc04911q.jpg

dsc04914.jpg

The access was a little more difficult because of the different levels, rocks and ice, but it was also a very nice landing and again with very good weather.

The difference between today and the previous landings is that on “Petermann Island” we saw the penguins playing a lot more in the water.

dsc04547.jpg

dsc04542f.jpg

They were very funny, trying to climb onto pieces of ice and falling off again. I was laughing all the time just watching them. In the following image you can see a Penguin with his stomach over a piece of ice ........ well the Penguin finished up by falling over the other side into the water again!

dsc04546.jpg

General Images:

dsc04549.jpg

dsc04564.jpg

dsc04573y.jpg

and with the ship:

dsc04570.jpg

dsc04578.jpg

There was a hill where we went up for some nice panoramic views.

dsc04587.jpg

dsc04584.jpg

In Petermann Island there were mainly the Gentoo type of penguins, but we also saw some Adelie type of penguins which we saw for the first time. You can tell the difference as their faces are totally black without the orange of the Gentoo.

This is a Gentoo penguin:

dsc04552.jpg

And this is an Adelie penguin:

dsc04594m.jpg

The Gentoo penguins at todays landing were very curious and came close to the people. I just sat on the ground and did nothing.....just waited, and it only took a couple of minutes until I had 2 of them picking at my boots, my bag and my arm! They we very cute and I laughed a lot with them. In the next 3 photos the blue material which you can see is my trousers, my knee! :

dsc04600.jpg

dsc04601a.jpg

dsc04602.jpg

and even one Penguin wanted to help us with our video, hihihi:

dsc04634.jpg

There was a wooden hut which was an Argentine refuge from the year 1950 and beside it, to the right of the photo you can see (not very clearly) a cross in memory of three men who didn´t survive their expedition in the year 1982.

dsc04651.jpg

When all the passengers were back on the boat, we went back in the direction where we had come from, for the Lemaire Channel. Again we saw more seals on top of ice.

dsc04696v.jpg

dsc04693t.jpg

dsc04700i.jpg

After lunch, we arrived at Port Lockroy.

portlockroy.jpg

You can see from the map above that there are two places marked: Jougla Point & Port Lockroy. These 2 places are nearly together, so first we went to Jougla Point, this time just for 30 minutes, and then we went again in the “polar cirkle” boat to Port Lockroy again for 30 minutes.

When we arrived at Jougla Point our first image was that of a load of old whale bones:

dsc04719.jpg

It was here that we saw the smallest baby penguins which we had seen up until now.:

dsc04730.jpg

dsc04739.jpg

dsc04738.jpg

dsc04735.jpg

We even saw 3 recently born ones:

dsc04723.jpg

dsc04726.jpg

We were not sure as to whether these penguins being so young would survive or not being so late in the season, but one of the expedition team told us that they had a good chance....... it would all depend on how soon the extreme winter conditions would start.

The following image is not a penguin but a comoran bird, we saw a lot of them at the stop:

dsc04761.jpg

dsc04764r.jpg

And some general images of Jougla Point:

dsc04771.jpg

dsc04736h.jpg

dsc04758g.jpg

The penguins together with the comorans……. It is difficult to distinguish between them!!!

dsc04753ynt.jpg

One, two, three, and jump………….:

dsc04749y.jpg

Splash…., hihihi:

dsc04751g.jpg

And again a mother feeding her young:

dsc04778c.jpg

dsc04777b.jpg

When we finished at Jougla Point we took our boat and within a few minutes we were at Port Lockroy.

The first image arriving:

dsc04937y.jpg

dsc04824d.jpg

dsc04821a.jpg

dsc04786n.jpg

Port Lockroy is a British base which was set up in 1941 to control ships of the enemies and to destroy old fuel stored there.

dsc04943.jpg

Archived