Best Place to Eat

jkbecker4

I have been searching and researching reviews to find the best spot to eat lunch in St. Thomas. I have a few "requirements" that I need:p to make it the best spot.

We will be in St. Thomas on 6/09/09.

Here are my needs:

1) I would love it to have a view.

2) Have a Caribbean/west Indian menu or at least have a few choices.

3) It needs to have some authentic foo foo drinks:D. ie. bushwacker, banana daiquiri

4) Decent prices would be great.

Hi fellow St. Louisan! If it were for dinner I'd have alot of choices but for lunch I can think of 2- Fungi's is right on the water, with drinks and decent prices but not 100% on what they serve. Always liked what we had there. Blue Moon Cafe at Secret Harbor is on the beach and I can't remember their menu but I know they have a website-bluemooncafe.com? Good snorkeling there if that was in your plans.

A new place opened up that might meet your requirements, but I haven't been there yet. I'll check it out and report back. Another new places should be opening soon, so hopefully that'll be another option when you come. Stay tuned.

Wikked at Yacht Haven Grande near Havensight has jerk tacos and some other Caribbean dishes. Fat Turtle at Yacht Haven Grande has red snapper sandwiches. They both also have full-service bars and nice views. Prices are somewhat reasonable, but not bargains.

Havensight Cafe at the Havensight dock has Caribbean lunch specials and offers a view of your cruise ship - sorry, no water views! Very reasonable prices and a full bar.

Unfortunately, very few of the places serving local food can afford the locations with views.

A new place opened up that might meet your requirements, but I haven't been there yet. I'll check it out and report back. Another new places should be opening soon, so hopefully that'll be another option when you come. Stay tuned.

Wikked at Yacht Haven Grande near Havensight has jerk tacos and some other Caribbean dishes. Fat Turtle at Yacht Haven Grande has red snapper sandwiches. They both also have full-service bars and nice views. Prices are somewhat reasonable, but not bargains.

Havensight Cafe at the Havensight dock has Caribbean lunch specials and offers a view of your cruise ship - sorry, no water views! Very reasonable prices and a full bar.

Unfortunately, very few of the places serving local food can afford the locations with views.

When will you be there?

Ms411, Hope u don't mind my asking you, but I will be on a cruise departing Port Canaveral May 23, 2009 and St Thomas will be 1 of my ports of call. I have been to St Thomas 5 times already-all on cruises-and wonder which beach/perhaps 2 beaches you might recommend I visit. I will have my camera and snorkel gear with me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If I have the time, am also thinking about taking the cable car up to Paradise Point for the views.

Thanks,

Rob

rob51, you might want to consider taking Homer's 3 Beach Snorkel tour. That way you don't have to arrange separate transportation, and you'll get a chance to see Hull Bay, which is on the north side, and is seldom visited by tourists, plus two other beachs (I think Coki and something else). You can find out at nightsnorkel dot com.

Smith Bay Park (formerly Lindquist Beach) would be another option combined with Sapphire Beach. But, I know Lindquist was staffed during season, but not sure if they're still maintaining security there now. If not, it's best to go there with a group, and you'll need transportation.

Ms411, Just read your reply. Thankyou so much for your input. Its always better to get input from somone who lives where one is gong to visit. Now I just need to email the outfit later today and see what their departure time for the excursion....am sure I will have a great time.

Thanks again,

Rob:D

Ms411....Just got off the phone with Homer. At this point I am the only person who has inquired with him about an excursion on May 26. From what he said it seems as though I should be able to get out with him that day. Will let u know what happens.

Thanks again, Rob

rob51, it's still early, and from what I've been hearing, most people aren't making reservations too far in advance. Thanks for letting me know this is something you'd like to consider. I just love it when people do what I say. :) I think it's a great tour, because of the diversity of beaches. I'm sure you'll have a great time even if it's just you and Homer.

Ms411, Hi again. I have inquired with 2 other excursion companies in St Thomas and they also told me that at that time-within the past couple of weeks-that I also had been the only person who at that time inquired. So, today I gave Homer my name, fone# and email address. He told me that about 1 week before the date I will arrive in St Thomas he will contact me about whether or not his excursion will take place. He told me he takes as many as 6 people and no less than 2....so now all I can do is wait, but only for a couple of weeks. Hey, thats not very long u know!

Rob

I was just there on Saturday! But I only had a burger and fries which really doesn't count, because you can get that anywhere. My goal is to eventually make my way through their menu, because they have one of the most diverse without being too complicated menus for new restaurants that have opened. I tried their shrimp and grits for brunch, and it was beautiful, but too much butter for my taste. Another friend thought the portions were small, but I'm not a big eater (more of a taster), so I appreciate small servings. I'm dying to try the tuna w/rum coconut and some of the other dishes, but it's hard, because I get full very easily. I've also had their tacos, which were very meaty with jerk seasoned fillings, which though good, didn't satisfy my craving for Mexican tacos. I had them during happy hour when they were only $2.

Lots of people who live here go there, because the price is right, the food is generally good, and the yachts are beautiful. If I get a chance to go there again on Sunday, I'll try something else and report back.

Fungi's is right on the water - you can even see fish in the water from your table. It's in a cove, so you don't have a very wide view, but it's not on a beach, so you can't get in the water.

Their menu is a bit more basic Caribbean than Wikked unless it's changed. Roti. Roast pork (which someone said seemed more like regular pork chops to him!). I think stewed chicken. Fish. I think Wikked is a bit more expensive, but it's within walking distance of the cruise ships.

The view is prettier at Fungi's, but if you like luxury yachts, you'll think the view at Wikked is better. Wikked's menu is more interesting, I think.

We like Cuzzins in town. Sorry not much of a view but has local food along with typical American food. They will make any drink you want and they are stiff. They seem to be happy to be asked to recommend local food and the price is reasonable.

UK Crusier2 - Havensight to W!kked is a short walk, along the dock or shopping area and around the corner to the marina/shops at Yacht Haven Grande (where W!kked is located).

--Islander

Islander,

Thanks for that.It's sounds perfect,just what we want.:)

Fungi's is right on the water - you can even see fish in the water from your table. It's in a cove, so you don't have a very wide view, but it's not on a beach, so you can't get in the water.

Their menu is a bit more basic Caribbean than Wikked unless it's changed. Roti. Roast pork (which someone said seemed more like regular pork chops to him!). I think stewed chicken. Fish. I think Wikked is a bit more expensive, but it's within walking distance of the cruise ships.

The view is prettier at Fungi's, but if you like luxury yachts, you'll think the view at Wikked is better. Wikked's menu is more interesting, I think.

Ok so I also found a place called "Mountain Top" It is supposed to have great banana daiquiris and a beautiful view. I can't find anything about this place and even if it's still open. I also would like to know the menu.

At this point I am thinking either Wikkid or Fungi's. But would consider Mountain Top for the view if they had the right menu.

Sorry for all the questions but we are considering renting a car and touring the island ourselves. I am in charge of the tour;)

Hi, Yes, Mountain Top does exist, and from everything I have read about it, from those who have listed posting's to looking it up on Google. I have not been there, but just check into Google and am sure they will have more than enough info about it to allow you to make a decision as to whether or not u might want to visit it. Oh, I am booked on the Carnival Glory for May 23, 2009....Eastern Caribbean, so yes, I have also been considering a visit. They do have what is supposed to be a great drink there, at least thats what I have read about it. Have read that on really clear days can see Tortola.

Have a great cruise.

Moutaintop does have a great view but I don't think they serve any food there. Another place you could go if you are wanting to drink is Duffy's Love Shack that has good food and lots of fun, no view though. Also right across the street from Duffy's is Caribbean Saloon which has a big menu and depending on where you sit there might be a little bit of a view. Another place with a big menu is Greenhouse, downtown along the waterfront.

Hi, Yes, Mountain Top does exist, and from everything I have read about it, from those who have listed posting's to looking it up on Google. I have not been there, but just check into Google and am sure they will have more than enough info about it to allow you to make a decision as to whether or not u might want to visit it. Oh, I am booked on the Carnival Glory for May 23, 2009....Eastern Caribbean, so yes, I have also been considering a visit. They do have what is supposed to be a great drink there, at least thats what I have read about it. Have read that on really clear days can see Tortola.

Have a great cruise.

Hi Rob, you'll get a great view of beautiful Megan's Bay and after staring at it you'll probably get the itch to go down there and lay on that beach. They also have a few shops up there.

There is no food at Mt Top. There are plenty of places with great views. Maybe you should consider one of the restaurants at Marriott's Frenchman's Reef? They have gorgeous views, though they don't specialize in Caribbean food. They have a Latin restaurant, Havana Blue, but I'm not sure if it's open for lunch. Google for more info.

Oceana in Frenchtown has an awesome view, and it gets good reviews, though again, not necessarily Caribbean food.

Herve in town has a great harbor view.

If you're not limiting yourself to Caribbean food, there are lots of options.

OK so it looks like we will have Banana Daiquiris on Mountain Top and lunch at either Wikkid or Fungi's.

Ms411 let me know if you have anything more at Wikkid's. I emailed the Fungi web site and asked them some questions but they never emailed me back.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Archived