Norovirus the liberty

mij

We cruised Carnival Liberty 04/26/09 my aunt got the norovirus while on board the ship. A carnival employee told us that for the past three weeks around 100 people each sailing came down with the norovirus. :mad:

People get this on land everyday. It's not called Noro when on land and goes largely unreported.

Wash your hands thoroughly, stick to the basics we all learned in kindergarten.

Noro isn't ON the ship... it's brought on board.

The ships are scrupulously cleaned with a bleach mixture that kills such viruses but when someone comes on board with it all the cleaning in the world won't prevent folks from becoming infected...

By the way, ANY instances of Noro or a noro-like disease are reported to the CDC by law... The crew of the Liberty reported that 208 (6.39%) had been infected with Noro on the April 29th cruise... none prior for this year...

WE ALL have had the NOROVIRUS sometime in our lives. On land it is commonly called "stomach flu!"

At least HALF the people on a cruise, FLY, to the port. In the 2 to 6 hours they are on the plane with 200 to 400 other people. They are breathing the same RECIRCULATED air that everyone aboard is breathing. then the NORO takes 24 to 72 to hours to show itself. By then they have been on the ship at least a full day, therefore the ship gets the blame!

A CLASSIC case was about 4 years ago. 300 or so people came down with NORO on a sailing. Only one reporter mentioned that 190 Brits flew to the cruise on a charter flight. Of the 300 that got sick, 180 were from that charter flight. All the other reporters probably "thought" that was just a coincidence!

I came down with "something" the day we got to St Thomas. fever, vomiting, body aches,headache. I was so sick so fast that I almost didn;t make it back to the ship. We went to the beach in St Thomas and on the way there I started feeling back. Didn't eat or drink anything either..Bu the time -2hrws later- I went back to the ship I could barely walk I was so weak. It was crazy. Haven't been that sick in many many years. I had been washing my hands constantly too.. Not sure if it was Noro or not but I was very sick..lasted until the next afternoon..

Carla

The Noro Virus was frst found in Norwolk,Ohio in the 70's. It is a very nasty Virus. I operate a nursing home and believe me it's real. I had to quarantine my building for three weeks and report evry day to the local health department. It is extremely contagious. The only things that will kill it are products with Bleach in it. Clorox wipes won't kill it, they don't have bleach. If it's on the ship, a lot of people will get it. You can get very dehydrated because you will be throwing up and on the toilet for 24-48 hours. Yes, use universal precautions, wash hands, etc..

We were on the sailing the week before (4/18/09) and it did go around then. Approx 200 passengers/crew had it but fortunately my husband and I did not. An announcement was made on the Friday morining before the sailing ended that there was a stomach flu on board and people needed to wash hands carefully. It is the first time in 8 cruises that we have been on a ship with noro and most people thankfully were not ill. So the odds are in your favor to stay healthy. I do stay away from the public restrooms and try not to touch railings. Thats just common sense I think.

I was on this cruise as well. We heard the reason for the delayed boarding was that the ship was being cleaned because on the previous cruise, there were quite a few people sick with noro.

On a side note, what confused me is that Carnival at check in, didn't hand out the medical questionaire asking if you've been sick or the noro advisory.

I knew several people who became sick during the cruise however, this ship was being cleaned constantly. There were hand sanitizers at all the food venues and the food was served to us at the buffet. I'm not sure what else Carnival could have done.

looks like the 4/18 sailing figures.

http://www.cdc.gov/nceh/vsp/surv/outbreak/2009/april25cliberty.htm

it hasn't been confirmed as noro, but CDC is investigating and has inspected the ship.

A certain number of cases are normal in any general population, whether on a cruise ship or on land.

It would be interesting to know which departments the sick staff were in...

Archived