Pearl to alaska in may - juneau advice

OHCRUZERS

I have been searching for the past couple of hours on the boards for what to do while in Juneau and haven't come up with anything. We're going on the Pearl in just a couple of weeks. Any suggestions for "must do or see?" Looking for something outdoors/nature at reasonable cost.

As ever, CC folks are the best - thanks for your help!!!:)

I have been searching for the past couple of hours on the boards for what to do while in Juneau and haven't come up with anything. We're going on the Pearl in just a couple of weeks. Any suggestions for "must do or see?" Looking for something outdoors/nature at reasonable cost.

Hike up Mt. Roberts and take the tram back down to town. It is an easy hike up - I did it in late May of 2007. There should be some specific information if you search the internet. I was able to ride down for free, but, I've heard that they started officially charging last year for the trip down. Have fun & a fantastic cruise. :)

We went in August and had pretty miserable weather, which we expected. We could see the tram disappear into the fog on its way up, so I have no idea if those that did go up got to see stuff above the fog, or if it was solid-pack. Just be prepared not to see much from there if the weather is bad. In May, you might be lucky.

In my research, I learned that Juneau had the best whale watching of all the ports. We took a tour with Orca and it was fantastic! We saw a pod of whales doing bubble netting three times! Too cool. I highly recommend it (if the whales are there in May).

DH and I were on the Pearl last year early June. We rented a car in Juneau and drove around sightseeing. We visisted Mendenhall Glacier, Shrine of St. Therese and the Macauley Salmon Hatchery. They were all wonderful and just to be able to drive around and just see the beautiful scenery was mind blowing. Another possibility is the Goldbelt Mount Roberts Tramway and the Alaska State Museum. Also before you leave check out http://www.juneau.com for other information.

We just got off the Star on Saturday and we rented a car in Juneau. We used rent-a-wreck. They picked you up at the pier and shuttled you back for free. The drive to the end of the road was delightful. We went to the Shrine of Therese and saw whales in the bay. We went to Mendenhall Glacier and missed all the crowds who were on the tours. We even stopped by Walmart and McDonalds:D We were back to the pier in plenty of time for shopping too.

I'm afraid I'm in a rut when it comes to Juneau. After our wonderful whale watching tour with Harv & Marv's, it's the one "must do" that will be on my schedule every time we return to Alaska (which hopefully will be often....)

Juneau on a cloudy day from Mt. Roberts

Image-A76C3CFEE37711D8.jpg

Juneau on a clear day from Mt. Roberts

Juneau_tram_view.jpg

The views from Mt. Roberts can be breathtaking on a clear day!

Yes, Mt. Roberts can be iffy due to bad weather...if so, the Mendenhall Glacier, Alaska State Museum, and shopping is great in Juneau.

DT

I too, have been trying to find something to do that does not cost much in Juneau.....trying to stay away from the tours this time, I think...and just go on our own in most of the ports. Those pix of Mt Roberts look great, about how much is the tram ride and where do you catch it?? Is it walkable from the pier. ....I've also heard great things on Mendenhall Glaciers.....anyone have pix of them??? We're debating between the two.

I too, have been trying to find something to do that does not cost much in Juneau.....trying to stay away from the tours this time, I think...and just go on our own in most of the ports. Those pix of Mt Roberts look great, about how much is the tram ride and where do you catch it?? Is it walkable from the pier. ....I've also heard great things on Mendenhall Glaciers.....anyone have pix of them??? We're debating between the two.

I just saw where the tickets cost 27.00 for the tram but their web site does not say if it is free for just the ride down.

One more quick comment about whales. Yes -- they're there in May. We sailed the week before Memorial Day in 2008 and saw a lot of them.

We've been to Alaska twice, and saw more whales in May from the cruise ship than we did in June. If you're intereted, spend time on the decks looking for them, as some stragglers will still be migrating.

Have a great time. It sounds like you'll be there pretty close to the same time we were on the Pearl. We had great weather (except in Seattle), and saw lots of wildlife. That, combined with the snow still on the mountains, made for a wonderful cruise.

I'm afraid I'm in a rut when it comes to Juneau. After our wonderful whale watching tour with Harv & Marv's, it's the one "must do" that will be on my schedule every time we return to Alaska (which hopefully will be often....)

This is what we do, and they even stopped at Mendenhall Glacier before taking us back to town. But if the cruise is in a couple of weeks, chances are very good that Harv & Marv's is completely booked. But at least check out their website www.harvandmarvs.com and look at Jay's photos! They are amazing.

So glad to read that....we are booked with Harv & Marv's in August on our first Alaskan Cruise on the Pearl. I first learned about them on the Alaskan boards and have wonderful reviews ever since.

Here's a link to my Webshots page showing the Sun sitting right next to the Mt. Roberts Tram building: NCL Sun in Juneau. The Sun looked naked before her hull art was added!

Then another one from the top of Mt. Roberts: Up on Mt. Roberts

You can catch a little bus right on the pier that will take you out to Mendenhall Glacier.

We did more in Juneau than in any other port -- Mt. Roberts (we hiked in the snow and visited the little gift shop); Mendenhall Glacier; Tracy Arm Glacier catamaran (the NCL excursion :D:D).

There are a ton of fun outdoorsey things to do in Juneau. If you aren't wanting to do an organized tour or spend much money, you may wait to see what the weather is like. Mt. Roberts tram is fantastic and fun. Mendenhall glacier is a short bus ride (I think I read $14 round trip) from the dock area. There are multiple hiking trails from the visitor's center.

Also, most importantly, check out the Alaska ports board for more ideas and suggesstions. Several locals and frequent Alaska visitors routinely post and can answer very specific questions:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=55

Thanks everyone for the great suggestions! I think we'll do the tram, and possibly the Mendenhall glacier pending weather conditions. We just need to keep our fingers crossed about the weather, for Alaska as well as Seattle and the flights. Hmmm, that might be pushing it to have great weather for all those!

i will go with a whale watching tour everytime i go to juneau. the whales are aresome and it is a great tour. there is capt.larry with orcaenterprises.com or harv and marv. the tram is another great idea that is given or take the bus to mendanhall glacier. i think it is about $14 round trip. that is what i am going to do this time. and also get a good alaskan beer at the red dog saloon. have a good time.

we are booked on the harv and marv tour in late june. i have heard wonderful things. hoping to see lots of wildlife and hope we are not too late for whales.

Humpbacks will be there but there may not be any orcas.

Below is the info for the tour we have booked for our upcoming Alaska cruise. It was $45 pp, which didn't seem too bad. If you are interested, the email address to contact this person is mmcummings1@aol.com

Thank you for your interest in our tour here in Juneau. You will fall in love with our beautiful little city. Let me know if it sounds like what you are looking for. We use newer model 15 passenger vans but try to only book 10-12 in each for passenger comfort. With the smaller vehicles we are able to go into areas the larger busses cannot and it is much more personal. This tour is truly the only one of its kind here in Juneau.

We start out with the Historic Downtown Juneau District where our knowledgeable guides will tell you about the capitol, the museums, the old saloons, historic hotels and churches that are on the national historic registry and much more.

We then continue on to the Mendenhall glacier where we take our guest to a local viewing area on Mendenhall Lake where you can walk right up to the waters edge and get photos of the glacier and ice burgs that have calved off of it. This is not where the large tour busses go. We try to get you away from the crowds. We also go to Brotherhood Park for further glacier viewing. This is where the gallery photos and postcard pictures are taken from.

After Brotherhood we drive through the campus of the University of Alaska Southeast. It is a lovely drive and we also go by the famous Chapel by the lake, which is a log, church on the edge of Auke Lake. On a clear day we can see the glacier once again from across the lake.

Then it is off to the Shrine of Saint Therese, which is the focal point of this tour. It has been said, “ If you haven’t been to the Shrine, you haven’t been to Juneau”. The lushly landscaped grounds with the log cabins, labyrinth, columbarium, and the stone chapel sit on the Lynne Canal, which is the largest fjord in North America. The depth reaches 2000 feet. We frequently see humpback and killer whales, otter and harbor seals. The drive out to the Shrine is a great area for bear watching. We have had to stop to let them cross the road and cameras are clicking! You just never know what you might see! This is the most awesome spot in Juneau. If you would like more info on the Shrine you can go to their web sight at http://www.shrineofsttherese.com

It is 2 ½ to 3 hours and the time just flies by. This is truly the best land tour in Juneau! The cost is $45 per person and includes the tax but not the gratuity for your guide.

If this sounds like what you are looking for please let me know. We do fill rapidly.

Regards

Mariann Cummings

M&M TOURS OF JUNEAU

907-523-1999

907-209-1975

We just got off the Star on Saturday. I do not like booking anything thru the ship, so I did lots of research on here and had a wonderful trip. In Juneau we got off the ship and stopped at one of the stands that are set up right of the gangway. We paid $7 each way for a ride to Mendenhall. We were told what time they would pick us up, we were on the first bus. They drop you off right by the walkway up to the visitors center. We walked around there are were lucky enough to see a young bear up in a tree right close to the visitors center. The bus did a pick up every 30 minutes on the hour and half hour. The drivers spoke about the area the whole way there and back. Once we returned to town, they offered to drop us off at the end of town opposite our ship if we wanted to walk back to see town and shop. There were a few stands, but I think they were all the same price for the ride. You can pay more and get more of a tour if you want, but we simply wanted a ride and could not have been more pleased.

Have fun!

Christine

We just got back from an Alaskan cruise on NCL this Saturday. You should really see the Mendenhall Glacier. Don't book it through NCL though or it will be 50.00! When you first get off the cruise ship there are booths set up on the dock that will take you there and back by bus for 7.00!! We did some walking and hiking, we even saw a bear, and the glacier sight seeing is free!! It's a MUST DO!

We did Mendenhall Glacier as well, it was magnificient! We also liked strolling though the town. The view is beautiful. We were there in May of last year; no rain, sunshine. I hope you enjoy your cruise as much as we did ours. We were on the Pearl as well. We still keep in touch with some of the CC group we met, and here it is over a year later.:)

Archived