Poll: D-day Beaches Tour Options

wesp

What did you do for touring the D-Day beaches?  

25 members have voted

1. 1. What did you do for touring the D-Day beaches?

• Ships's tour
    • Private guide
    • Rental car
    • None - I went to Paris, Giverney or elsewhere.....

Can't tell you what I "did"...We're not going until July 16...

But, having been to Paris a few times before, I'm not going back...especially not to ride in a bus for three hours each way and then get a highlights bus tour...

My parents went last June and we signed them up for the Chateaux shore excursion...but Celebrity cancelled it--not enough takers...So, they took the DDay beaches and Bayeux Tapestry tour instead...

I'm leaning toward Giverny and Rouen...

Obviously, I said Paris was out...and the D-Day beaches may be quite interesting...but I think more to that older generation who might be returning 60 years later...or even if you had a father who fought there (My dad was in the Army Air Corps in the Pacific...he had a cousing who died at Omaha Beach...but the family connection for us is more tenuous)...

I like small towns and villages of the French Countryside and am more interested in culture and art than in WWII history...

So, I'm open to suggestions as well...

I am so glad that I went to Caen, and Bayeaux.

At Caen, there are two very worthwhile monuments. There is the memorial to D Day and the Nobel Peace Prize memorial. I didn't know about the Nobel memorial. It was a surprise. It wasn't on the listed itinerary, but when I saw it there, I hurried through the lunch, and went by myself. It is just a minute's walk through the back of the D Day memorial.

The memorial at Caen is a work of art; art used to interpret the events and emotions of the allies. One shouldn't hurry through it. The displays and architecture deserve at least 2 hours. Plan on 45 minutes at least for the Nobel Peace Memorial.

Bayeaux is of course the site of the Bayeaux Tapestry, one of history's most important documents. The interpretive center there is well planned. Before a visitor ever enters the actual display, there is an extensive diorama of the whole thing. I think a video theater display as well, but I saw so many museums on that cruise that I won't commit to that. It doesn't matter because the diorama is what makes understanding the tapestry so easy. The curators really did an excellent job of this.

Both Caen and Bayeaux are lovely little towns to wander in as well.

If you go with a ship's tour, try to pick one that will allow enough time in Caen to visit both memorials. Bayeaux is a short (hour?) bus ride from Caen. On HAL's tour, no visit to the actual beaches or battlefield was included but I've read (on Fodor's I think) that some private tour guides do an excellent commentary with their tours of beaches and battlefields. I'd need that having (Thank God!) never had to be a soldier.

Since Bayeaux is so close, I'd combine the two in a one day tour.

However, Mt. St Michele (sp.?) is near there as well. I had to choose between the two tours. I'm happy with my choice as Bayeaux has been on my 'want to see' list for a long time. If I went back I'd do St. Michele.

Hope this helps.

I had a wonderful tour with John Flaherty of Hand Maid Tours a few months ago. ( http://www.handmaidtours.com ) I have booked with him again for our next visit in August, 2005. John is from England, now living in France and is a historian with very detailed knowledge of WWII events in and around Normandy. When split up among 4 passengers, the cost worked out to just about what Princess was charging. Though the cost may have been the same, I definitely feel we had the superior tour.

Last trip we went to the American National Cemetary, Bayeux British Cemetery, Pointe Du Hoc, Omaha Beach, Gun Emplacement WN62 (Omaha), Pegasus Bridge, and Port en Bessin.

Next visit, I'd definitely like to spend some time at Longues Sur Mer Battery, and would be interested in seeing what's left of the flak tower at Ouistreham. Also on my "wish list" would be to inspect the replica Horsa glider (these were the 6 gliders used by the Oxford & Buckinghamshire Lt Inf Troops to penetrate to Pegasus Bridge & the bridge at Caen Canal.) I'd love to get to both Sword & Juno Beaches (spend time, not just drive by), but I'll probably be lucky just to fit one into my hectic one day schedule. There's lots more to see, but just not enough time.

We were there this summer and took the ship's Beaches of Normandy tour. We wanted to use a private guide and/or rent a car, but it was a Sunday near the 60th anniversary of D-Day. All tours were booked, and rental cars are difficult to find on Sunday. My husband hates ship tours as a rule, but he was pleasantly surprised with how good this one was. We went to the museum and saw an incredible movie before going to the beaches. It was such a memorable experience that my daughter is writing about the visit in her college admission essays.

Was there in June and did the ship's tour: D-Day beaches and Bayeux. Although I usually dislike large group tours, this one was excellent. We visited the American Cemetery, Omaha Beach, Arromanches (remains of artificial harbor), Longues sur mer (only remaining Nazi bunkers with large guns still intact), and Bayeux. The town of Bayeux is wonderful to stroll through. We did a quick tour of the tapestry (no big deal for me, but others may be fascinated by it) and then did some sightseeing in the town. Beautiful huge gothic cathedral there. Had a delicious lunch at an old fortified farmhouse, included in the tour.

I highly recommend this tour as it provides a nice mix of WWII history as well as a lot of sightseeing as you travel through several small villages in Normandy.

The French people in the Normandy region seemed to be very friendly to Americans. We were there right after the 60th anniversary celebration of the D-Day invasion in June. It was quite festive with signs all over the area thanking the Americans and the Allies.

We always prefer to hire our own driver and do as we want.. take us to what we want to see and where we want to go without the 50 plus people on the Bus deal..

There are many companies that you can hire for private touring for D Day beaches .

We use Barons limo, you can make your own tour or they can suggest, but they are great!

http://www.barons-limousines.com/

• 2 weeks later...

We went with John Flaherty in May 2004. This is undoubtedly the very best tour we have ever been on anywhere in the world. He knows so much about what happened and what is left for us to view. It was extremely moving to be at the American cemetery when the french school children were there putting decorations on graves they had "adopted" to honor for their service. They were placing wreaths with hand made paper poppies. They also had worksheets that John had them explain to us. He is fluent in French so could translate for us. I highly recommend his tours.

• 1 month later...
Guest KateKathy
We went with John Flaherty in May 2004. This is undoubtedly the very best tour we have ever been on anywhere in the world. He knows so much about what happened and what is left for us to view. It was extremely moving to be at the American cemetery when the french school children were there putting decorations on graves they had "adopted" to honor for their service. They were placing wreaths with hand made paper poppies. They also had worksheets that John had them explain to us. He is fluent in French so could translate for us. I highly recommend his tours.

Can you provide a link to John? Can you email it to me directly? kate@cruisewoman.biz

Thanks.

Archived