Shore Excursion help

cruisecat63076

I would like help on trying to save money on booking shore Excursions and have read that it can be cheaper to reserve them on your own instead of taking the ships. What I have done is chose the one that most interested me in the ships book and would like your help trying to find independent companies that offer the same or similar tours

KETCHIKAN TOTEMS AND LUMBERJACK COMBO

JUNEAU DOG SLED SUMMER CAMP

SKAGWAY YUKON & WHITEPASS RAILWAY

I would like help on trying to save money on booking shore Excursions and have read that it can be cheaper to reserve them on your own instead of taking the ships. What I have done is chose the one that most interested me in the ships book and would like your help trying to find independent companies that offer the same or similar tours

KETCHIKAN TOTEMS AND LUMBERJACK COMBO

JUNEAU DOG SLED SUMMER CAMP

SKAGWAY YUKON & WHITEPASS RAILWAY

"Search or Google" every one of those names or just search the cities, you might find tours the ship doesn't offer that you'd like. Their livelyhood depends on these summer months, so there is plenty of info out there. I know the ship docks right in downtown Ketchikan, and you can WALK the 2 blocks to the lumberjack show, and many other tourist stops, Ketchikan has a couple sites that have walking tours to Creek St, and also a horsedrawn shuttle that goes to the Totem Park. Can de done cheaply!

Many places do the dog sleds, again do a search to see what city you'd get the one you'd best like at best price. This Can be an expensive tour, doing dog sledding, even privately. We're doing the one in Seward, but thats just a 3 hr tour & ride on a "Sled". Others up in Yukon.

The Yukon train leaves, I believe, from right near the dock and is also online to sell you tickets privately . Others are planning to drive up the pass in a rental car. Some train tours end up in a return bus ride to see places not seen on the train. Do a Search for Skagway and private tours are all available to look over. I have never been to Skagway so can offer no advice on the relative merits of tour providers...but it's easy to find them online!:)

On my last trip to Alaska, the vendors were set up right off the boat and I went whale watching for $95 instead of the $149 the cruise ship offered the tour for. The trip was actually $119, but he said to make him a cash offer so he could fill up his boat. Those are risky strategies because you never know if they will have extra room. There were plenty of people on the jet boat that booked through NCL, so I had their guarantee to get back on time. These folks are all pros on getting you back in plenty of time. It has never been an issue for me on any privately booked tour.

Archived