Helicopter companies, Juneau

ErinPhotoBug

The husband and I have decided that we want to do a helicopter tour in Juneau, but there are so many to choose from!

We're on the Regents Mariner, 7/22, and thus far I've figured out that Regents offers excursions from North Star trekking (they do the Walkabout, plus both the Trek and the Extended Trek), TEMSCO (Pilot's Choice, which we can't make due to Tracy Arm excursion, plus shorter Mendenhall Glacier), and some unknown company that does the "Four Glacier" flight. I *think* that might be Coastal Helicopters, but I can't tell.

I like the emphasis that North Star puts on the walking around bit ... but isn't the point of a helicopter excursion the awesome heli ride?! Does anyone have insight into how extensive the actual helicopter ride is on the North Star excursions? Do they fly you over all of the "cool" stuff that Coastal and TEMSCO emphasize on their website? Do the pilots narrate for you?

Dropping this kind of cash, I just want to make as informed a decision as possible ...

Thanks!

For clairfication, Coastal is NOT a ship contractor, your "other" company would be ERA, which also may be the trekking contractor.

As for the trekking, I only recommend the longest. And the flight seeing is essentially similar, it's the TIME trekking, guide and equiptment which add to the cost. Flying isn't a lot different.

Do not look for a big amount of narration.

Thanks for the info. You're right, it's ERA that does the other flight - took me a while to find it, but that's definitely it.

I did some more research on North Star, and I think that's who we're going through. Saw a YouTube video of theirs and it made me want to be out on the glacier, trekking - immediately! Seems that it's not as strenuous as they make it out to be, but I suppose that's a good thing (weed out the less-than-sure).

The longest we can do (timing with our other excursion) is the standard Trek, which is 2 hours up on the glacier. With Regent's super-discounted excursions this summer, we're only shelling out $200 a person ... not a bad price to pay for a once-in-a-lifetime kinda thing!

Thanks again!

We took Coastal Helicopters last week and they were wonderful. They flew us to Herbert Glacier and we were the only ones there. We had the glacier to ourselves, unlike Mendenhall. We stayed on top of the glacier for about 20 min and flew each direction for about 20 min. It was perfect.

Reba

I know the people who own Coastal, and I can tell you that they are EXTREMELY careful of the pilots that they hire....They are not part of a ships excursion for other reasons...I can heartily recommend them.....and the dog sledding trip that they do to the Glacier is wonderful.....You meet Iditarod and Yukon Quest mushers.....and there dogs, and ride a sled....not a wheeled cart...My husband is a pilot, and I am very careful of who I fly with in Alaska...I want someone with lots of bush hours. Flying here is not like flhing elsewhere....especially on glaciers which have their own micro climate...I definitely would go with Coastal. NorthStar may be just as good....I don't know. Ask.....

Thanks for the info. You're right, it's ERA that does the other flight - took me a while to find it, but that's definitely it.

I did some more research on North Star, and I think that's who we're going through. Saw a YouTube video of theirs and it made me want to be out on the glacier, trekking - immediately! Seems that it's not as strenuous as they make it out to be, but I suppose that's a good thing (weed out the less-than-sure).

The longest we can do (timing with our other excursion) is the standard Trek, which is 2 hours up on the glacier. With Regent's super-discounted excursions this summer, we're only shelling out $200 a person ... not a bad price to pay for a once-in-a-lifetime kinda thing!

Thanks again!

In my opinion, this short trek is definately lacking, if at all possible, it would be very worthwhile to you, to upgrade and get on the longest. The problem with the short one, is, again, only goes as far/fast as the slowest person, and even with that, the time is way too limited. You are barely going to get going before it's over. The extra hour is significant.

Everyone visitor here that I have talked to that did the Dog Sled with Coastal says its the trip of a lifetime. Haven't heard much about the other dog sled ones either way. It does seem that a lot of people go with Coastal for that.

Definately NorthStar if you're interesting in the trek part.

Archived