Port Canaveral

We've always cruised out of Miami, but my wife wants me to consider a cruise leaving from Port Canaveral. Can anyone offer a comparison of the two? Hotel suggestions? Transportation? How is the embarkation and debarkation process? Will I miss being able to see the skyline of Miami disappearing into the horizon?

We've sailed from both and my opinion is: If I never see Miami again, I'll be just fine. ;) (We've sailed from Miami 4 times, I believe...could be 3)

Port Canaveral is much cleaner and, in our experience, MUCH more efficient than Miami. You're on the ship in record time. We typically arrive around 11 and are on the ship no later than 11:30 or so, no matter how long the line. It's been great and we've gone out of there 3 times and are heading out from there again in less than 2 weeks.

Most of the hotels allow you to leave your car for the duration of the cruise. When you compare the cost of parking at the port this is a big plus. We have stayed at the Residence Inn,they have free parking but a nominal fee for the shuttle to the port. Nearly all hotels offer the same service.The shuttle picks you up after the cruise.We love to start our vacation a day early with this. Port Canaveral is great.Forgot to mention they have a very good hot breakfast.

PC is a pleasure to go out of.....couldn't be an easier port;)

Another vote for PC. It's a pleasure to cruise out of PC. No crowds, no traffic, great reasonably priced restaurants right on the channel, good hotel availability, several rental car locations near the port that are open on Sunday with free transfers to the terminal.

We have ALWAYS cruised out of Port Canaveral, except this coming cruise because for the itinerary we want we have to go out of Puerto Rico. It is an easy drive for 45 minutes from the Orlando Airport. We always stayed at the Raddisson which is near the port and did a one-way car rental form AVIS which is not far from the port, they have a shuttle to take to you to the port. They also pick you up at the port after your cruise so you can pick-up your rental to get back to the airport.

I've only sailed out of PC once, and NYC many times (Manhattan) as well as other ports. I found the port to be great, the terminal clean and efficiently run. There are many hotels within 5 minutes of the port at great rates and offer complementary breakfast, shuttle service (fee) to the port and return service, as well as free parking. Port parking when I was there in December was $15/day.

I'd sail out of PC again. I stayed at the Residence Inn on Marriott Points and had a great stay. The hotel has a nice pool/hot tub and a bar right next to it.

PC is a fun port to sail from. Fly in to Orlando airport. RCCL has large tour bus type set up to transport you down to PC or you can do the one way car rental. We did the bus last year and had no problems. Its about 45min-1hr. ride. The sailaway was pretty awesome to. Theres a nice long channel leaving the port and all along the sides theres bars and stuff that people gather to drink and watch the ships sail out. Try and make it up on the helipad/bow of the Freedom when you go. We did this on Marirner last year and it was an wesome sailaway.

The Carnival tub usually leaves right before the RCCL ship but you'll quickly fly past them once in open ocean. Make sure you take some binoculars so you can check out the Carnival passengers in the distance drooling over your ship as you sail by.

I could not agree more. I have left from Miami and PC and don't forsee ever leaving from Miami again. If you leave from PC and decide to come a day early you will actually be staying in Coccoa Beach. This is a great beach and there are a lot of places to eat, hotels are cheap and if you do come eary the free hotel parking is awesome. I did not like Miami at all but PC makes for a great start of your vacation,IMHO. I'm leaving out of PC twice in 2010 and can't wait. :D

Another vote for PC and the Raddison. Flying into Orlando is a breeze and the 45 min. ride to PC is not bad at all. There are plenty of cabs/vans to get you there. The Radisson has a nice breakfast buffet and transfers to the pier which is less than a mile away. There are also plenty of restaurants around the port area that are very interesting. Get there before 5:00 pm and you may catch a cruise ship leaving. Not as cool as being on a cruise ship leaving port, but knowing that you will be going out the next day is is fun to watch those leaving. :D

-----------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

Previous Cruises

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2001

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

Something in 2009 - just have not decided yet

RCCL Oasis of the Seas - April 17, 2010

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day - 2011

Definitely Port Canaveral. I doubt we will ever cruise out of Miami again. We just returned from a cruise on the Freedom of the Seas a couple days ago and once again, it was a breeze. We've done the rental car route (which I know, a lot of people prefer), but we much prefer having a shuttle take us to our hotel. We used Travelynx this last time and it's $25pp to Port Canaveral. We stayed at the Best Western this time around, in Cocoa Beach. We didn't have a car to drive around since we didn't rent one, but we were in walking distance of anything we needed. We were right next door to the pier and went there in the evening to watch the ships leaving that day and then had a couple drinks on the pier. We had a great dinner at Durango Steak house and then the next morning the hotel has a shuttle to take you to the pier for $4. Got on the ship w/very little wait. Everything was a breeze. Leaving the ship was the same, no lines and off and on our way. We had Travelynx pick us up to return to the airport. Either way you choose, renting a car or getting picked up w/a shuttle, you will find the process of getting on and off the ship, much better at Port Canaveral (in my opinion). Have a great cruise!

We have done both many times and like the fact that PC is closer & we can drive. Flying has become such a hassle that I actually do not mind the drive in comparison.

As to the comparison, we have found Miami staff do be a little friendlier (strange, huh?) but PC staff is coming around. We think maybe they were not accustomed to the crowds when RCI first put the big ship in there. We do love the Radisson at the port. There are some new options now as well that we hear are nice.

We do miss the Miami sail away. Kind of like watching the intro to CSI Miami... It is a beautiful sight in the evening.

Port Canaveral has it's own version of the sail away experience that has it's on charm. While Miami pretty much ignores the ships, PC has a loyal band of locals that line the causeway and celebrate the sail away with you. Go to Grills on the causeway the evening before and watch the Carnival ship sail away. Good food, good music, and good times! The next day you can look down at the Grills crowd and wave back!

Our opinion: PC is not better or worse than Miami, only different. It is like choosing between Chops or Portofino. Try both!

We have been out of Miami twice and PC 5 times. We drive when cruising out of PC and have to flight if Miami. I hate Miami airport. It is so disorganized. I think the terminal at PC is much more efficent as well.

If we are able to leave early by at least a day we drive all the way to PC and stay at the Radisson. We have never stayed at another place in PC. My IL's did stay at the Hilton once.

If you stay at the Radisson you do not have to pay for the park and stay option in order to use their parking or their free shuttle to the port. Now some may say you do but you do not. It is not cheating them at all. The park and stay option is not only for the parking and shuttle it is also for free breakfast. A person working reservations actually helped me with this the first time we stayed there. She told me if I did not want a huge breakfast not to book that package. You also can call before your stay and book your shuttle times. They fill up early and if you like to get to the port early you will need to pre-book the shuttle time. You should receive directions of where to park when you check in and they will give you a paper to put in your car so that it will not be towed.

>>Port Canaveral has it's own version of the sail away experience that has it's on charm. While Miami pretty much ignores the ships, PC has a loyal band of locals that line the causeway and celebrate the sail away with you. Go to Grills on the causeway the evening before and watch the Carnival ship sail away. Good food, good music, and good times! The next day you can look down at the Grills crowd and wave back!<<

Indeed, PC is better than Port Everglades.

Port C is our favorite port -- easy in; easy out; fast boarding and only 4 1/2 hours from our house. Three nice hotels very near the port -- Radisson; Marriott Residence Inn and Country Inn and Suites. Many other hotels in Cocoa Beach. Fun sailaway being saluted by the folks at the bars lining the waterway and more folks at the jetty area as you sail into the ocean.

That being said, we did not find Miami that bad although it is a longer drive. We parked, were checked in quickly and on the ship. Leaving was very easy but that may have been because we had priority disembarkation. The sailaway is neat with beautiful mansions and South Beach on one side of the ship and Fisher Island on the other side.

We actually had a worse time sailing on a large ship (IOS) out of Fort Lauderdale in Jan. as the terminal was inadequate and outmoded for such a large ship. Works fine for Enchantment. This will probably be rectified by the new terminal being built for Oasis class ships.

We enjoyed cruising out of PC. Like previous posters, we flew into Orlando, took a shuttle to PC. We stayed at the Country Inn & Suites. They had a shuttle that took their guests to area restaurants & shopping and in the morning their shuttles took us to the pier for I think about $3 per person. They also had a complimentary breakfast. We could see the ship from our hotel room which was very exciting! I would not hesitate to cruise out of PC again.

PC is a fun port to sail from. Fly in to Orlando airport. RCCL has large tour bus type set up to transport you down to PC or you can do the one way car rental. We did the bus last year and had no problems. Its about 45min-1hr. ride. The sailaway was pretty awesome to. Theres a nice long channel leaving the port and all along the sides theres bars and stuff that people gather to drink and watch the ships sail out. Try and make it up on the helipad/bow of the Freedom when you go. We did this on Marirner last year and it was an wesome sailaway.

The Carnival tub usually leaves right before the RCCL ship but you'll quickly fly past them once in open ocean. Make sure you take some binoculars so you can check out the Carnival passengers in the distance drooling over your ship as you sail by.

ROTFLMAO...that is pretty funny:D

Port C is our favorite port -- easy in; easy out; fast boarding and only 4 1/2 hours from our house. Three nice hotels very near the port -- Radisson; Marriott Residence Inn and Country Inn and Suites. Many other hotels in Cocoa Beach. Fun sailaway being saluted by the folks at the bars lining the waterway and more folks at the jetty area as you sail into the ocean.

That being said, we did not find Miami that bad although it is a longer drive. We parked, were checked in quickly and on the ship. Leaving was very easy but that may have been because we had priority disembarkation. The sailaway is neat with beautiful mansions and South Beach on one side of the ship and Fisher Island on the other side.

We actually had a worse time sailing on a large ship (IOS) out of Fort Lauderdale in Jan. as the terminal was inadequate and outmoded for such a large ship. Works fine for Enchantment. This will probably be rectified by the new terminal being built for Oasis class ships.

Does anyone know when and if anything has started yet with that...when i was just there last month we saw no construction and anyone i asked had no idea.

Does anyone know when and if anything has started yet with that...when i was just there last month we saw no construction and anyone i asked had no idea.
Last month I read where they had lowed the whole front of the terminal. It was a pretty big modular piece I think.

Leaving Port Canaveral is sooo easy! It's also fun because the locals (like me!) line up to watch and wave at you from the bars and restaurants. They share in your sailaway celebration. You will not miss the Miami skyline. ;)

Leaving Port Canaveral is sooo easy! It's also fun because the locals (like me!) line up to watch and wave at you from the bars and restaurants. They share in your sailaway celebration. You will not miss the Miami skyline. ;)
You can wave at us on Aug. 30 -- we have a starboard balcony facing all the restaurants!!!

We have been out of Miami twice and PC 5 times. We drive when cruising out of PC and have to flight if Miami. I hate Miami airport. It is so disorganized. I think the terminal at PC is much more efficent as well.

If we are able to leave early by at least a day we drive all the way to PC and stay at the Radisson. We have never stayed at another place in PC. My IL's did stay at the Hilton once.

If you stay at the Radisson you do not have to pay for the park and stay option in order to use their parking or their free shuttle to the port. Now some may say you do but you do not. It is not cheating them at all. The park and stay option is not only for the parking and shuttle it is also for free breakfast. A person working reservations actually helped me with this the first time we stayed there. She told me if I did not want a huge breakfast not to book that package. You also can call before your stay and book your shuttle times. They fill up early and if you like to get to the port early you will need to pre-book the shuttle time. You should receive directions of where to park when you check in and they will give you a paper to put in your car so that it will not be towed.

we did the Raddison last fall. i did not read the e-mail confirmation and did not reserve a spot on the shuttle the next day. after finding out we could not leave until 2;30 i drove our luggage to the pier in hopes of jumping on teh shuttle last minute. we were able to do that as soon as i returned. however i also did not know we were supposed to leave our car in a designated area and i did not have enough time to move it. luckily it was still there when we got back. the drawback to the shuttle is the return trip. the boarding area is not marked and there is a very informal que. porters will place their 'customers" in teh prime spots and then there is a frenzy to claim the limited spots available. my suggestion is to make sure you get your bags on as well as your spouse and you are off to the hotel. all in all it is a nice hotel, a bargain for free parking, rooms are great. we are going back in August

Darn!! We were standing on the wrong side! We sailed on the Disney Magic out of PC in April. My DD and I were on the port side promenade (Deck 4) where all the industry is. No wonder it was so quiet over there. Still enjoyed it though.

Archived