Ultimate Packing List for the Newbies....

Janet Foster

I've enjoyed reading through this thread and getting some ideas for cruising. Like most everything in life, everyone has their opinions on this topic for sure! My husband and I are experienced travelers, but this will be our first cruise, so I've gotten some great ideas for our trip. I like the idea of the over the door hanger, not only for cruising, I could see this coming in handy for other trips as well as in my laundry room! :) I will say I have always packed a tiny roll of duct tape and it has come in handy for things like taping up a sheet to block out light in a too-bright hotel room and creating a makeshift diaper. Happy travels!

• 2 weeks later...
I've enjoyed reading through this thread and getting some ideas for cruising. Like most everything in life, everyone has their opinions on this topic for sure! My husband and I are experienced travelers, but this will be our first cruise, so I've gotten some great ideas for our trip. I like the idea of the over the door hanger, not only for cruising, I could see this coming in handy for other trips as well as in my laundry room! :) I will say I have always packed a tiny roll of duct tape and it has come in handy for things like taping up a sheet to block out light in a too-bright hotel room and creating a makeshift diaper. Happy travels!

It's good to know some traveling tips.

------------------------

Dolomite Jazz Rollator | Rollators

• 4 weeks later...

Wow, awesome list and ideas! As a first time cruiser I appreciate all the ideas. I am new to cruising but not to traveling. One thing I wanted to add that has proved invaluable to me and my husband is Apple Cider Vinegar. You can drink straight or you can buy it in pill form. Apple cider will kill the virus that causes food poising. My husband seems to be plauged by this and it works everytime and has worked for me once (only got sick once). You take is as soon as you start feeling sick or take it everyday on your trip to avoid never getting sick. It does not hurt you to take everyday. Its actually really good for you. Google it if you wish! :) My husband has started doing this on every trip and has not been sick in a few years. It use to be every other trip he would get sick. Just thought I would mention it. We are going to Mexcio for our first cruise and I know this will be very helpful for us. Hope this will help someone out there. It's a trip saver for us.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Great list!

Another idea...we packed balloons to blow up and tape to our door. :) It was SO much easier to find our rooms when walking down really long hallways.

Here are a couple of my lists if you want to read them:

Packing Light For A Seven Day Cruise

15 Strange Items to Pack For a Cruise

I do not understand why people need balloons to find their rooms on a ship even though there are numbers on the door but they do not have a need for balloons in a hotel. I have never seen anyone decorate their door at a motel.

DON

Good idea on the Apple Cider Vinegar, I just had a friend come off a week long Caribbean cruise and her husband got the virus and was confined to his room for two days. Ugh.. that would be so sad.. after all the planning.

We decorate our doors on our cruise when we have our cocktail parties.. it is just festive and we travel with a group. Sometimes my husband can't remember our cabin number and he needs all the help he can get..

Happy Cruising!!!

Wow, awesome list and ideas! As a first time cruiser I appreciate all the ideas. I am new to cruising but not to traveling. One thing I wanted to add that has proved invaluable to me and my husband is Apple Cider Vinegar. You can drink straight or you can buy it in pill form. Apple cider will kill the virus that causes food poising. My husband seems to be plauged by this and it works everytime and has worked for me once (only got sick once). You take is as soon as you start feeling sick or take it everyday on your trip to avoid never getting sick. It does not hurt you to take everyday. Its actually really good for you. Google it if you wish! :) My husband has started doing this on every trip and has not been sick in a few years. It use to be every other trip he would get sick. Just thought I would mention it. We are going to Mexcio for our first cruise and I know this will be very helpful for us. Hope this will help someone out there. It's a trip saver for us.

Thanks again for all the tips!

Thanks for this tip! I had no idea apple cider vinegar helped with that. I will definitely be implementing this on my upcoming (and first) cruise!

Your very welcome! I am not sure about the dreaded Noro viruis as that is viral not bacterial. Apple Cider is good for bacterial....which is the most common type of food poising. Either way, we won't travel without it and it surely will not hurt you. :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Janet....

I was curious about the cooler you mentioned on your list. Are these coolers smaller enough to folder up and go into your luggage? Are the easy to fold up and stow?

There are folding and collapsible ice chest out there if you are looking for something to stay stationary in your cabin then you could also get the inflatable ice chests. which take up no weight or space. There are ones with wheels that can be folded up if they are in one of the larger suitcase bags, I have also used it as a little suitcase and checked it as a bag. Depends on which airline you are flying on. If you have to pay to check your luggage and have room in your larger bag, then I'd put it in the large suitcase.

The main reason we like an ice chest in our cabin is to keep our water and soda's really really cold. We keep them iced down all day. Great for when we were cruising the caribbean, not so important when we were cruising Alaska last year.. LOLOL :-)

What is the sign on the Cabin door for? :confused:

While I really don't have signs for my door, there are some who like to decorate their door so that when they are wandering the halls they can find their cabin easily.. and people do get a kick of out seeing the way some people decorate their doors. When we were on Liberty of the Seas a few years back they have the mall area, that had inside rooms with windows overlooking the mall area. Several people had their windows decorated.. It was really cute... :-)

Question relating to coolers: Carnival has a 12x12x12 size restriction...I found a 15x12x12 cooler with wheels... will this past muster or is Carnival strict on this issue? Thanks in advanced. :)

Question relating to coolers: Carnival has a 12x12x12 size restriction...I found a 15x12x12 cooler with wheels... will this past muster or is Carnival strict on this issue? Thanks in advanced. :)

Now, that I really couldn't answer for you because I haven't been on Carnival in awhile, but if I were you I would take your question over to the "CARNIVAL BOARDS" because there will be someone over there that has recently gone and can answer that question....

Happy Cruising!!!

There are folding and collapsible ice chest out there if you are looking for something to stay stationary in your cabin then you could also get the inflatable ice chests. which take up no weight or space. There are ones with wheels that can be folded up if they are in one of the larger suitcase bags, I have also used it as a little suitcase and checked it as a bag. Depends on which airline you are flying on. If you have to pay to check your luggage and have room in your larger bag, then I'd put it in the large suitcase.

The main reason we like an ice chest in our cabin is to keep our water and soda's really really cold. We keep them iced down all day. Great for when we were cruising the caribbean, not so important when we were cruising Alaska last year.. LOLOL :-)

I am not really wanting anything too mobile. Something for our room for drinks, plus I am an insulin dependent diabetic and it is nice to be able to keep my insulin chilled.

I am not really wanting anything too mobile. Something for our room for drinks, plus I am an insulin dependent diabetic and it is nice to be able to keep my insulin chilled.

Oh don't fret over your insulin, the cabins all have mini fridges in them. I just prefer my drinks colder than what I get from the mini fridge. So don't think you need to bring something to keep your insulin cold. If you still want a stationary cooler to keep things colder, then I would go with the inflatable cooler!! :-)

Now, that I really couldn't answer for you because I haven't been on Carnival in awhile, but if I were you I would take your question over to the "CARNIVAL BOARDS" because there will be someone over there that has recently gone and can answer that question....

Happy Cruising!!!

Fab idea... and after reading some of the comments, went out and found one that works.

Thanks You!

Janet...

I did a little research tonight and I found these cooler... http://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Pirate-Treasure-Chest-Cooler/dp/B001HBXULC/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS?ie=UTF8&coliid=I32OXX8YSJF55T&colid=3BLPRYMDTXHUG

and i thought that this inflatable palm tree would just add alittle fun decor to the room to go along with the cooler... http://www.amazon.com/Inflatable-Palm-Tree-35-inch/dp/B000R4KLXA/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_T1?ie=UTF8&coliid=I1FF0XQCC7QTU6&colid=3BLPRYMDTXHUG