Just got back from freeport 5-17-09

chenning

just wanted to blog a little on my experiance in freeport, bahamas. the port its self is pretty bad, its a very industrial port, so you basically pull into a big shipping yard, there were a few tents and stuff set up outside the ship so if you didnt wana leave the area u could do a decent amount of shopping portside...we took a cab from the boat to Lucoya, 5$ p/p each way, and yes they all had very good working A/C.. they said that the international bizzar is closed from a hurricane they had a few years ago, but lucoya was really cool, alot of places to shop, alot of them have the same thing to buy, also this was the only place during the entire trip i was able to buy REAL cuban cigars...i also highly reccomend trying fried conch, it was really good, kinda tasted like calamari.. other then that i really didnt do anything

we were in port 7a-3p, and yes there were plentiful cabs, they were taking us back and forth in groups of like 10, they stuffed the cabs full haha, they were mostly suvs with adequate seating, and i think we got off the boat around 9 something, and we were back by noon ish

We were in Freeport on 5/12 and did the morning sail/snorkel with Capt. Tony of Sand Dollar Cruises...highly recommended. We had a blast and only had about 10 people on our boat compared to the 50+ people we saw packed onto the boats through the cruise line excursions!!!

We were in Freeport on 5/12 and did the morning sail/snorkel with Capt. Tony of Sand Dollar Cruises...highly recommended. We had a blast and only had about 10 people on our boat compared to the 50+ people we saw packed onto the boats through the cruise line excursions!!!

Were you on the Pride and did you dock early to make it to the 9am sailing? Was a man waiting for you when you got off to take you to Capt. Tony's?

Thanks

We were on the Norwegian Sky and we docked around 8am. When you get off the ship there is an area with numerous taxis waiting to take people wherever. We just told him we were on the sailing with Captain Tony at Port Lucaya and he took us there along with a few other couples headed to the same area. I think it was only $5pp each way.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

You shouldn't have a problem getting there in time. We were actually met by Cpt Tony and another guy he works with at the pier. They put us in 2 vans ($5 pp) and then went straight to the dock next to the straw market. Be sure that you are some off the first to get off the ship just to be sure.

We were actually at the pier with our assistant guide for awhile. Then it was a few minutes ride.

Make sure you e-mail him so he knows how many people are going in your group. I am sure he will try to have someone there to meet you. He doesn't always have somone at the pier.

Take a container to put your sand dollars in so they stay safe and a net like bag to collect while snorkeling for sand dollars. Everyone collected a few and one guy had over 20!

Archived