Help with Planning from Fairbanks to Anchorage

coulter22

HI! My DH and I just booked a last minute SB cruise on May 30th. We did the inside passage RT from Seattle a few years ago, so the ports aren't a problem. However, we need help pre-cruise planning.

We fly into Fairbanks on May 28th @ 8 PM. (Got a better deal to fly into Fairbanks vs Anchorage)

Here are my questions:

1. What are the best options to get from Fairbanks to Anchorage for maximizing photo opps? Car, Shuttle, or Train (I tentatively have a one way reservation with Hertz from Fairbanks to Anchorage)

2. If a car is the best option, should we stay the night in Fairbanks or try to start heading down toward Denali?

We have reservations for May 29th @ the Embassy Suites in Anchorage & I was thinking of taking the train from Anchorage to Whittier & doing something in Whittier prior to getting on the boat.

Thanks so much for your input on the best way to spend our pre embarkation days. :)

Greer

I am begging for some guidance!! I know that most will think it's crazy to only have 1 day set aside to make our way from Fairbanks to Anchorage, but it's all the time we have this trip. For those of you more familiar with the interior of Alaska, please shine some light on some picturesque stops on the drive down. Unless you are aware of a better alternative (bus or train) that will allow us to take pictures & appreciate the natural beauty of Alaska.

We are sure to return to Alaska again another time where we could spend days at Denali. That just isn't in the cards for a last minute trip of opportunity that popped up on us. I figure that any day spend around Alaska or on a cruise ship is better than one spent @ work!!

Thanks in advance for any advice or help!

You can take the train from FAI to ANC. Leaves FAI at about 8AM, arrives ANC about 8PM.

http://www.akrr.com/contentimages/2009-Summer-Schedule.gif

Price is about $170pp (may be as cheap as the rental with drop fees). Don't know about availability.

Or get the MILEPOST and drive yourselves to ANC. Spend the night in Fairbanks-you really don't want to be driving around with no definitive place to go. You could end up sleeping in the car. You can drive the entire route in one day and take the train from ANC to Whittier for your cruise.

Thanks for your insight. We were planning on booking a hotel down in the Denali area if we did start driving down. I think that we will just stay in Fairbanks & get up early as we are use to the CST zone.

I will have to check out the MILEPOST. Do you know where I can find one of these?

Thanks for your insight. We were planning on booking a hotel down in the Denali area if we did start driving down. I think that we will just stay in Fairbanks & get up early as we are use to the CST zone.

I will have to check out the MILEPOST. Do you know where I can find one of these?

No reason why you couldn't drive to Denali that night. It will be daylight until at least 11:00PM. You could probably get out of Fairbanks by no later than 9:00PM if the plane is on time (luggage and rental car). You would get to Denali about midnight. Could take an early trip into the park the following morning if you can take the long days.

You can order the Milepost from Amazon. Borders and Barnes and Noble also have it in most stores.

We plan to ride the Alaska Railroad from Fairbanks to Anchorage in one day. It is a long ride, but time was a factor with us also. My group believes that we will enjoy the train ride more than trying to drive it ourselves. We hope to relax and enjoy the view! We have ridden the train from Anchorage to Whittier and really enjoyed that.

Happy Cruising!:)

FYI - we checked out a copy of the Milepost from our local library and then ended up purchasing a copy.

I would fly into Fairbanks and spend the night. Then rent a car and the next morning meander down towards Whittier.

In Alaska, the weather is variable. If the weather is great, you might want to spend the day in Denali and then drive towards Anchorage at night (which will be 1-2 am). Or if weather is great, and Denali buses are not your thing, then go to Talkeetna for flightseeing, and then head towards Anchorage.

My point is, with only one day, it is really dependent on weather. If you can handle 'winging it', just get all your options and go from there:D

Can you do 'flexible' or are you looking for something more concrete?

With only one, day , I would recommend you drive. At least you would have the time for some brief stops and the freedom, which is what is most important. You are looking at about 8 hours of driving, so do have some opportunity for a few stops along the way. Head to your library and see if they have THE MILEPOST. Absolutely necessary in my opinion.

Depending on how early you are leaving, and where you are coming from. It is likely to be better staying in Fairbanks.

We plan to ride the Alaska Railroad from Fairbanks to Anchorage in one day. It is a long ride, but time was a factor with us also. My group believes that we will enjoy the train ride more than trying to drive it ourselves. We hope to relax and enjoy the view! We have ridden the train from Anchorage to Whittier and really enjoyed that.

Happy Cruising!:)

There is no issue with driving in Alaska, simple with plenty of opportunity for everyone to enjoy the sightseeing. Also this section of the RR, just about parallels the highway the entire distance. It can be a big advantage to have the ability and freedom to stop when and where you wish. This is a 12 hour train ride, and may not the best option for everyone. Plenty of choices to consider.

We are very flexible & want to have the option to stop if we see something interesting, so I am sticking with my car rental. I found The Milepost was available at my local Barnes & Noble & will be heading out tomorrow to pick up a copy. It looks like The Milepost might be exactly what I am looking for with regards to ideas. I just want to make sure that we don't zoom down the road past something interesting because we don't know it's there.

I have used our hotel points for the Holiday Inn Express in Fairbanks for our arrival night. We will be on CST, so if we sleep in until 7 our time, we can be on the road by 5 am. Not to mention being more well rested when we start our day on Friday.

Thank you again for all your thoughts!!

Greer

Archived