Switching to Carnival - RCCL pricing is crazy.

thehogsters

Another downside to RCCL is the limited port options for those in the midwest that want to drive to port. They don't sail out of galveston in the summer so we'd have to drive to FL to cruise with them. With Carnival we have Galveston, Mobile or New Orleans to choose from.

Me and the fiance did a great western 7 day in April on RCCL's Liberty of the Seas. We both had a great time and loves all that was offered on the huge ship.

I have been looking at prices for June 2010 to for us and the 2 girls. This is a break down of what I have found. These are all for the lowest priced inside room.

LINE SHIP NIGHTS PORT STOPS PRICE

Carnival Freedom 6 Mia 3 $2204

Carnival Valor 7 Mia 4 $2645

Carnival Dream 7 Canav. 4 $3188

RCCL Liberty 7 Mia 3 $3747

RCCL Freedom 7 Canav. 4 $4449

RCCL Oasis 7 Ft. Laud. 3 $5347

First of all Royal only has one ship with 4 ports. We hate sea days so the extra port is very important to us. That being said why in Gods green Earth would I pay $1807 more for the Freedom O.S over the Valor? :confused:

From all my reading the 2 lines are very simalar and most say Carnival's food is better.

Iv often been able to find last minute RCL cruises that are less or comparable to Carnival's. I agree, I would never book until the rates are about comparable.

I guess I would lean toward the Carnival Freedom, even though I dont like going out of Miami, Id rather drive less and go out of Port Canaveral. I assume you are driving down and thats a long stretch between the two cities. You have 3 Carnival choices, 2 out of Miami and one out of Port Canaveral. Dream is newest so its the highest. Freedom would be a great ship, even though its only a 6 day, its the least money. Still a lot for only two to cruise. (only two of you for this price??). Is this a balcony for that much $$? I think Id pick the cheapest if I had to cruise during the summer and wait until prices were less other times of the year another time to try the other ships.

He is evidently taking two children with him, firefly.

I agree that, if you need certain dates Carnival will statistically be cheaper, but as Kurbanfan pointed out, if you can be flexible in your dates, you may find similar priced cruises on RCI. The thing I like about Carnival is the minimum of 185sq.ft. for their staterooms. That is small enough and I've stayed in those closets on other lines before. I absolutely prefer Carnival with their larger rooms and heavenly beds!

Yes the prices I posted are for 2 adults and 2 kids.

I used the week of June 14th 2010 since that is when the 13yr gets out of school next summer. I also priced her spring break the first week in April and they are the same.

RCCL's Liberty of the Seas was an awsome ship with outstanding service but not at the extra price im seeing for next year.

Liberty of the seas Valor / Freedom / Dream

Rock wall - did not use water slides - all would use

flow rider - did not use pool movies - all would use

ice skating - show was awsome I can use my saving to see a

and skated for 10min one day. ice show at home

Royal Promenade - nice and roomy but the shoppes are overpriced and I can buy the same cheep duty free booze on Carnival ships.

So comparing almost the same 4 ports and 7 day trips we could save $1807 on Valor or $1563 on Dream vrs. RCCL's Freedom Of the Seas.

The new Oasis is an awsome ship but it only has 3 ports and is $2488 more than Dream. That is almost double:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

We tried a couple of different cruiselines and kept going back to Royal. Not because of anything special, but because it felt like a good fit for us. We just became Platinum on Royal and then their prices went crazy. We called to see what discount we would get off a balcony and were quoted 1600.00 per person when Carnival had a per person rate of 629.00, same length and basic stops. We were astounded and asked why all of a sudden the price increase? The customer service agent said she has been getting many calls regarding the increased prices and that they are remaining high unlike years past. We really like Royal but with prices like that I abandoned ship and we are very happy to be going on the Liberty May 30th. I have also heard that the food is better. I think we will make Carnival our home for now. :D

We tried a couple of different cruiselines and kept going back to Royal. Not because of anything special, but because it felt like a good fit for us. We just became Platinum on Royal and then their prices went crazy. . :D

I was going to book Voyager because I saw a offer of $529 pp, plus $100 OBC per cabin being offered, but I have Ecstasy booked less than a month before, too close I decided, so Ill wait for a date a little further out. $529, minus an extra $50 OBC per person to me doesnt sound that awful. Voyager now has a Texas resident deal going and reduced prices on almost every date for Voyager. Make sure you check all the boxes that apply to you. I think balconys were down to $799 for Jan and thru mid Feb with the Texas resident discount plus you get $100 OBC. (These prices are current as of yesterday when I looked).

Maybe its because Im flexible about dates somewhat that I always seem to find a good deal on RCL?

I was going to book Voyager because I saw a offer of $529 pp, plus $100 OBC per cabin being offered, but I have Ecstasy booked less than a month before, too close I decided, so Ill wait for a date a little further out. $529, minus an extra $50 OBC per person to me doesnt sound that awful. Voyager now has a Texas resident deal going and reduced prices on almost every date for Voyager. Make sure you check all the boxes that apply to you. I think balconys were down to $799 for Jan and thru mid Feb with the Texas resident discount plus you get $100 OBC. (These prices are current as of yesterday when I looked).

Maybe its because Im flexible about dates somewhat that I always seem to find a good deal on RCL?

I haven't sailed RCI in a number of years but this seems to be what Kurbanfan has found out. And it makes sense. High demand dates are going to be priced accordingly.

We looked at Freedom of the Seas or Glory for our July cruise. I just couldn't justify paying almost $2000 more on Freedom for the same balcony cabin we're getting on Glory. In fact we booked with the early saver program and have had several price drops. So...we're spending a couple of nights at Disney World before the cruise and are still paying much less than if we had booked FoTS.

I haven't sailed RCI in a number of years but this seems to be what Kurbanfan has found out. And it makes sense. High demand dates are going to be priced accordingly.

Iv found a deal Easter week the last 3 years. Here's hoping I keep the streak going. Maybe Texans dont want to travel Easter Sunday??? I got my fingers crossed. Its not like Im not crusing if RCL doesnt come thru, I have 6 cruises this year, 5 of them being Carnival with one right around the corner in January of 2010.

Me and the fiance did a great western 7 day in April on RCCL's Liberty of the Seas. We both had a great time and loves all that was offered on the huge ship.

I have been looking at prices for June 2010 to for us and the 2 girls. This is a break down of what I have found. These are all for the lowest priced inside room.

LINE SHIP NIGHTS PORT STOPS PRICE

Carnival Freedom 6 Mia 3 $2204

Carnival Valor 7 Mia 4 $2645

Carnival Dream 7 Canav. 4 $3188

RCCL Liberty 7 Mia 3 $3747

RCCL Freedom 7 Canav. 4 $4449

RCCL Oasis 7 Ft. Laud. 3 $5347

First of all Royal only has one ship with 4 ports. We hate sea days so the extra port is very important to us. That being said why in Gods green Earth would I pay $1807 more for the Freedom O.S over the Valor? :confused:

From all my reading the 2 lines are very simalar and most say Carnival's food is better.

One that you did not look at is the Legend out of Tampa. It is a one day drive from Concord, so you save airfare and one night hotel each way. It is a 7 day (Sunday - Sunday) and has four port stops.

Give it a try with early saver it is about $2900.

The same cruise we took this year is $418 more for 2 people next year. That is about 30% more in an economic time of very little inflation if not deflation.

F you RCCL!

Rates on Ecstasy are up for 2011, should I say f Carnival too? My PVP says she gets this reaction all the time when I told her I need some time to digest the higher rates, not ready to jump and book.

Gas going up (up 43% this year so far, oil only up 21%), I heard food prices took a jump last month too. What deflation?

Geepers those prices are insane! It's no wonder RCCL will be higher, somebody has to pay for those big gigantor ships with all of the entertainment items that come with it. :D I can barely do half the things that Carnival offers for entertaining. I'm not trying to afford being a citizen of "why not". Oh, by the way, Carnival has great beds.

Actually those prices STILL aren't high enough to pay for the new Oasis OTS. The Swedish Government had to step in and loan RCL the money to finish the Oasis. [Not surprising, the ship IS being built in a Swedish shipyard] And the "planned" sister ship, Allure OTS has no one yet interested in financing it.

Rates on Ecstasy are up for 2011, should I say f Carnival too? My PVP says she gets this reaction all the time when I told her I need some time to digest the higher rates, not ready to jump and book.

Gas going up (up 43% this year so far, oil only up 21%), I heard food prices took a jump last month too. What deflation?

Home prices are down double digits in most markets. Rental prices are also down.

Gas was $4.00 a gal last year this time, now its $2.30.

Milk (1 gal.) at Walmart was $3.25 last year, now it is $2.40

Natural gas bill for my home has gone down per unit used.

New car prices are way down, just look at the deals they have now.

I just do not see any where near 30% inflation cost for the same 7 day cruise.

One that you did not look at is the Legend out of Tampa. It is a one day drive from Concord, so you save airfare and one night hotel each way. It is a 7 day (Sunday - Sunday) and has four port stops.

Give it a try with early saver it is about $2900.

Yeah I lived in Tampa for 5 years and in Ft. Lauderdale for 3. I don't see paying an extra $258 for Legend out of Tampa vrs Valor in Miami. The ships are the same and have about the same ports. From here Miami is only 2 more hours drive vrs Tampa. I have friend in both places and can park my car for free at either location.

Why is Tampa so much more?

Home prices are down double digits in most markets. Rental prices are also down.

If they don't book, the prices will come down. Seems to be like prices are at their highest either right when booking opens, or close to sailing. The "sweet spot" seems to be a few months after bookings open, and no one's biting on the higher prices.

Just my experience, though. I'm sure others have had it different. :)

Milk may be down, but food costs rose last month. Gas is down from the all time ever tip top high, but up for the year a lot. I sure bought my car the wrong time, too bad I didnt wait. Lost my car to Ike and replaced it just before the prices started to fall off, talk about bad timing.

I dont think every cruise price is up exactly 30%, but Im agreed, my price on Carnival is up on 2011 over 2010. Carnival is obviously banking on being able to raise prices on cruises .... at least mine are all up from prices a few months ago. Im sitting on my hands, not booking right now. The fact that cruise prices on Carnival are still under RCL prices, doesnt make me feel better about paying more than Iv ever had to pay for a Carnival cruise on Ecstasy since 2006. I know people will say, well 10 years ago I paid the same amount or 20 years ago, but compared to a year or two ago, I personally would have to pay more out of Galveston. I dont follow Florida where prices might very well be down.

uh-huh. We were loyal RCI cruisers until they changed their itineraries

(in most cases taking away a port day to keep you on the ship and buying those bingo tickets)

and upped their prices.

Their product is good, but not that good.

We switched and I estimate we save about $1000.

All these people switching. :eek:

Switch switch switch!

Don't you guys know about Brand Loyalty?? :cool:

I don't see paying an extra $258 for Legend out of Tampa vrs Valor in Miami. The ships are the same and have about the same ports. Why is Tampa so much more?

Supply and demand. 1 ship from Tampa for a 7 day cruise. Many ships to choose (several lines) from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Same with Port Canaveral, their prices are higher, mainly due to less options.

Supply and demand. 1 ship from Tampa for a 7 day cruise. Many ships to choose (several lines) from Miami and Ft. Lauderdale. Same with Port Canaveral, their prices are higher, mainly due to less options.

Don't ever price out the Ecstasy and compare it to Florida. :eek: :rolleyes:

Yes you all are right about the time of booking. I got our 7 day on RCCL Liberty of the Seas this past April for $1490 (2 adults, deck 9 interior room). I booked it 8 weeks out and was the lowest I have ever seen for that ship.

I just looked for the heck of it for my trip next year (June). I can get a level 11 suite on the Dream for $88 less than the lowest inside cabin on the Oasis! What a JOKE!

Yes you all are right about the time of booking. I got our 7 day on RCCL Liberty of the Seas this past April for $1490 (2 adults, deck 9 interior room). I booked it 8 weeks out and was the lowest I have ever seen for that ship.

I just looked for the heck of it for my trip next year (June). I can get a level 11 suite on the Dream for $88 less than the lowest inside cabin on the Oasis! What a JOKE!

To be fair you really cannot compare the Oasis to any other ship..........

Archived