Explorer of the seas - what kind of shape is she in now?

Hi, fellow Cruisers.

The wife and I are interested in booking another cruise with RCCI. We have been on about 8 cruises 7 of them with RCCI. Four of them were on Voyager class ships, Adventure 2X, Navigator and the Explorer of the Seas in 2002.

At present one of the cruises that interest us is the 9 day cruise from Port Liberty (Bayonne, N.J.) sail date 10-29-09. on the Explorer or the Seas.

When we were on the Explorer it was only about 3 years old. The ship was in great shape at the time. We thoroughly enjoyed the whole cruise, cabin, food, staff and entertainment were above average. My question is this, what kind of shape is this ship in now? I skimmed through some reviews from the last year or so and found enough of them that had issues with the shape, cleanliness, food and staff on this ship to make me think twice before booking it.

The thing we like about the itinerary is the fact that it is leaving from N.J., we live in Philadelphia, PA and it would eliminate the air travel. Air travel is becoming such a pain it's almost not worth the trouble anymore.

The date (We can't go before October) scares me a little too. How is the sailing in late October in the Atlantic? I don't get seasick (3 years USN) and the wife never has, but I keep her in the Caribbean. Usually smooth sailing there. I don't want to get her sick and not wanting to go on another cruise, LOL.

Also, we are considering one of the Freedom class ships, i.e. The Freedom or the Liberty of the Seas, any feedback on those two would be appreciated.

Thanks so much, Joe & Libby, Philadelphia, PA

overall there is some wear and tear but she sails full or close to it every day!

the food was fine....our crew was good.

we sailed in Nov and Feb....Nov wasn't as bad as feb. a little chilly (take some long pants/sweats/layers) and a little bumpy.

Feb was super cold and definitley an "E-ticket ride"........roller coaster on the 1st day and a half and the last day the outside deck and pools were closed.

i have pix and some videos if you click the link in my sig.

All ships have wear and tear. With that amount of passengers you're bound to see it. My only issue was the state of the carpets - very dirty on the stairs, but otherwise she is looking great. There is simply no time to clean properly with thousands of people on the stairs every day.

Book her! She's fabulous.

.........The thing we like about the itinerary is the fact that it is leaving from N.J., we live in Philadelphia, PA and it would eliminate the air travel. Air travel is becoming such a pain it's almost not worth the trouble anymore........

For drivability, I was going to suggest you also consider Baltimore until I read that RCCL's ship based there - Grandeur Of The Seas - is 13 years old now. In addition to the wear and tear - which you don't like apparently - the cabins are also on a shabbier side.

We were on her last Nov and I felt her wear and tear really showed...sorry! We love Explorer but wont sail on her reight now with the propeller issue and the over crowded CL...thought the food was great until I was on Majesty in Feb where food was way better...

I also thought the Atlantic in Nov was really rough...friends that never get sick did...

Sorry to all that Love the Explorer...only telling my opinion

Our OS was definitely newly refurbished as I suspect are other areas of the ship. I agree with you about the CL, although even if it were empty I probably wouldn't use it as to me it resembles an airport lounge.

Absolutely no sign of prop problems last month, definitely over-hyped on here.

We were on Explorer in 2008 (Summer) and the ship was in very good shape. We did have a problem with the a/c in our cabin, and our cabin steward was anything but helpful, saying it was our fault and that we had left the balcony door open (which we hadn't). Once I referred the problem to the concierge it was fixed within an hour.

We are also from the Philly area and we booked Explorer again for this December to avoid the hassle (and expense) of flying. We have sailed twice out of NY in December on smaller ships, and while it was a little rough it was really not too bad. Unless you get really lucky with the weather you should probably plan on spending the first and last sea days indoors.

Sailed her this past February and loved her. Obviously there is some wear and tear, but really nothing to write home about. Things are constantly being tended to in order to keep her in beautiful shape. Agree that the propellor issue is exaggerated on CC. Never noticed and had no issues. It was supposed to cause us a delay in porting in PR, but never did. :)

As you can see by my signature, we don't like to bother with the air travel either. I'm sailing Explorer again in September, and after that will be on her after her dry dock. ;) Go for it!

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that The Explorer is scheduled for dry-dock in January?!

We sailed in August 2007. The only thing I thought really showed its age was the mini-golf course. Sure hope they have put alittle effort into that since we last sailed!

With that said, we are scheduled to sail her again in 1 week... Waaa Hooo... a little mini-golf course wear will not stand in our way! :p

If you feel that strongly, perhaps you should book a sailing AFTER the dry-dock in January! Eitherway, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

A~

All ships have wear and tear. With that amount of passengers you're bound to see it. My only issue was the state of the carpets - very dirty on the stairs, but otherwise she is looking great. There is simply no time to clean properly with thousands of people on the stairs every day.

Book her! She's fabulous.

Stairs and astroturf around the pool were the only real areas where I notice wear and for her age, it wasnt that bad. Have a few cocktails and she will look brand new again.....;)

I'm surprised no one has mentioned that The Explorer is scheduled for dry-dock in January?!

We sailed in August 2007. The only thing I thought really showed its age was the mini-golf course. Sure hope they have put alittle effort into that since we last sailed!

With that said, we are scheduled to sail her again in 1 week... Waaa Hooo... a little mini-golf course wear will not stand in our way! :p

If you feel that strongly, perhaps you should book a sailing AFTER the dry-dock in January! Eitherway, I hope you have a wonderful cruise!

A~

it wasn't that bad in Feb, but then again that was the 1st and only time i played! our roll call had fun! it was more challenging to hit the balls in the WIND! and at some point we had rain as there were a couple "water hazards" that eventually evaporated!

it wasn't that bad in Feb, but then again that was the 1st and only time i played! our roll call had fun! it was more challenging to hit the balls in the WIND! and at some point we had rain as there were a couple "water hazards" that eventually evaporated!

Hey, that's good to hear! Maybe sometime between my sailing and yours they did alittle sprucing up? It really was pretty torn up back then!

A~

We just did a 13 night on her and loved it. Some of the carpets need to be replaced but she goes into dry dock in January. If you are going this year I would say go ahead. You also asked about Freedom, I love that ship and have been on her twice and would go again. I have also done Liberty....love them both. So if you dont want to fly do Explorer, we had a great time and it was our second time on her. We booked her again for next May. Going in October should be fine, you may have a little rough seas if a front goes thru but you should be ok. :)

We were aboard last July and will be again this coming August 6th. The ship was in fine shape, normal wear and tear. The only exception was the mini golf. It was an absolute disaster area. Ripples and tears in the turf on every hole. We played a whole round, but definitely was a downer. Has anyone heard if that has been refurbished yet, or will they be holding that for Dry Dock in January?

We were aboard last July and will be again this coming August 6th. The ship was in fine shape, normal wear and tear. The only exception was the mini golf. It was an absolute disaster area. Ripples and tears in the turf on every hole. We played a whole round, but definitely was a downer. Has anyone heard if that has been refurbished yet, or will they be holding that for Dry Dock in January?

I don't know what the official word is, but Meg mentioned above that she thought it wasn't bad when she played on it in February (see a few posts above yours)

A~

Just came off the Explorer today after a nine nighter...she is in good condition. The prop problem will be fixed eventually but not sure if it can be fixed before drydocking. We arrived into San Juan before 10pm (during the show) and left a little after noon on Wednesday. I don't think we would have noticed anything wrong with the prop if it wasn't already public knowledge. This was one of the smoothest sailings to Bermuda from NY that we've been on.

spanky

It has been redone and is in good shape.;)

Unfortunately, not for our 5/28/09 sailing... :(

A~

Just4Kixx - I even called them this morning to ask why not our ship too and they told me they didn't know of future changes. Maybe we will be lucky and our cruise will return to the original time - Again I told them that I haven't heard of anyone anywhere on cruise critic who liked the new time - we are subject to that contract.

Just4Kixx - I even called them this morning to ask why not our ship too and they told me they didn't know of future changes. Maybe we will be lucky and our cruise will return to the original time - Again I told them that I haven't heard of anyone anywhere on cruise critic who liked the new time - we are subject to that contract.

Just our luck, huh?

Oh well, it will still be one of the best cruises EVER!!!!:p

A~

Archived