NO GSC with Eastern Caribbean itinerary on EPIC

obmarcr

Not only NCL's private island beach, NCL appears to be also eliminating any tender ports as well with this ship.

The ultimate price of larger and larger ships, fewer destinations.....

Don, you are completely right. I talked to a couple of the management crew when we sailed the Spirit and that was their feeling. One of the biggest problem with the new age monster ships, too many places they will not be able to go. Tendering would take all day just to get them to a port, then back another day. LOL

I am one of those that loves the day spent on GSC, but it won't be the end of the world if we don't get to stop there.

Nita

• 3 weeks later...
If GSC is eliminated I would be happy. After stopping one time, I have never again gotten off the ship.

Hey there----I'm just wondering what would bring out the particular opinion you expressed. What was wrong with Great Stirrup Cay? If I have some insight to what people didn't like about a certain place, I can do my best to avoid the dislikes other people might have had. Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it. But, I also don't plan on sitting on the beach with the other lemmings. We plan on hiking to some secluded areas away from everybody and enjoying the scenery. Please let me know what problems or dislikes you experienced.

Thanks, Brad

Hey there----I'm just wondering what would bring out the particular opinion you expressed. What was wrong with Great Stirrup Cay? If I have some insight to what people didn't like about a certain place, I can do my best to avoid the dislikes other people might have had. Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it. But, I also don't plan on sitting on the beach with the other lemmings. We plan on hiking to some secluded areas away from everybody and enjoying the scenery. Please let me know what problems or dislikes you experienced.

Thanks, Brad

I'll chime in here with my opinion.

I did not like the main area of GSC simply because it was SO over-crowded and loud.

That said, we hiked to the lighthouse and the other side of the island and it was great. Peaceful and relaxing. So, I think your approach is right on target, Brad, if you seek a place with few lemmings.

I've never understood why it would take twice as long to disembark by tender.....you have a ship twice the size, surely it could hold twice the number of tenders...and instead of disembarking on one side only, you could disembark on both sides, simultaneously, couldn't you?

Instead of having 2 tenders in the water, you'd have 4.

Could is possible, but most unlikely. There is a reason why tender boats only tender on one side of the ship. :rolleyes:

Haven't you ever noticed the tender boats always approach the ship from leeward? From the windward side, the relatively smaller tender boats would always be crashing into the ship's hull. :eek:

I suggest that the only days you'll be seeing tender boats tendering both sides of a ship would be only on days with no wind. :(

Looking at the Epic's deck plans, there's only two elevator banks.

Deck 8391274_deck8.gifDeck 5391274_deck5.gif

Note: The aft elevator bank doesn't go down to Deck 5. Do you really think it'll go any lower? Which means there will be only the forward elevator bank servicing the lower Crew Decks, where any Tendering locations would be.

IMHO, I don't think the Epic is designed to use tender boats.

NCL doesn't own GSC correct? So that means they cannot make any improvements. I was thinking it would be so nice if they could do what Disney did for Castaway Cay. Disney made some major improvements to Castaway Cay....no tendering and the beach is a lot nicer and larger.

NCL should look into purchasing their own Cay and then do what Disney did...IMHO!

Not only NCL's private island beach, NCL appears to be also eliminating any tender ports as well with this ship.

The ultimate price of larger and larger ships, fewer destinations.....

If fewer destinations means fewer tenders I'm all for it! My Lee and I HATE the tendering process. The thought Grand Cayman Island STILL puts a bad taste in my mouth after their stupid tendering process made us miss our Jeep Tour. I say BUILD A DOCK then I'll come buy watches, liquor and diamonds from you.

I will say that I do love GSC, and they DID improve the Tenders, but I could live without it for ONE of their many caribbean cruise options....

I'm just sayin'

and I Thank You

JWK: DOCK BOOSTER!

NCL doesn't own GSC correct? So that means they cannot make any improvements. I was thinking it would be so nice if they could do what Disney did for Castaway Cay. Disney made some major improvements to Castaway Cay....no tendering and the beach is a lot nicer and larger.

NCL should look into purchasing their own Cay and then do what Disney did...IMHO!

NCL owns a large portion of GSC... as much as you can truly own real estate. There is a part of it that belongs to the government of the Bahamas, but overall, the island is NCL's to develop as they wish within the laws of the Bahamas. That being said, if you have walked around the island you will see where the new development is being planned and it looks like preparations are beginning there. I have no idea if a dock will be built any time soon, nor if there is even any deep water access close to shore to build a dock on, but it is certainly in NCL's best interest to keep on improving GSC for it's passengers who visit.

NCL owns a large portion of GSC... as much as you can truly own real estate. There is a part of it that belongs to the government of the Bahamas, but overall, the island is NCL's to develop as they wish within the laws of the Bahamas. That being said, if you have walked around the island you will see where the new development is being planned and it looks like preparations are beginning there. I have no idea if a dock will be built any time soon, nor if there is even any deep water access close to shore to build a dock on, but it is certainly in NCL's best interest to keep on improving GSC for it's passengers who visit.

That is such a good point, its so shallow around GSC that you can reach the bottom all the way out. How would they build a dock in those circumstances, and would you have to walk really far to get to the beach?

I guess I never worry about crowding at GSC because I'm in the water the whole time and no one ever gets too close.

Archived