Flying Rules in regards to packing

t2digital

Can I pack sunscreen and hairspray in my luggage to check (not carry-on)? I know carry on has to be 3 oz but wasn't sure about the rules for actual larger luggage you checck.

We leave on the Victory Sunday and want to make sure I have no airport hassles.

Also, what do you do about ironing on board? This is our second cruise and can't remember what we did before.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Can I pack sunscreen and hairspray in my luggage to check (not carry-on)? I know carry on has to be 3 oz but wasn't sure about the rules for actual larger luggage you checck.

Also, what do you do about ironing on board? This is our second cruise and can't remember what we did before.

As long as it is in your checked luggage you can pack whatever size you want.

Yes - in your checked luggage is fine. Sometimes things do leak a little due to pressure changes in flight - make sure you put anything like that in a ziploc bag in there. I actually always use a double ziplock since sometimes they can get holes in them as well.

Any size is fine in a checked-bag, use a big baggie though to seal it up. I left a can in there once and the lid must have come off and well...Psssst! Can you say new luggage!

Irons are in the guest laundry and are free to use (expect short lines close to dinner though) Please do not bring a travel iron to use in your cabin, there is good fire supression in the laundry room, in your cabin not so much! (I'd rather meet you in the dinning room in a wrinkled shirt than in a life boat with a pressed one!)

I was wondering the same thing.

We use the aerosol spray kind of sunscreen and since we are the palest people besides true albinos, we use a lot. I worry that it would explode in checked suitcases.

Is the aerosol kind OK or just the kind with a pump?

Thanks

We use the aerosol spray kind of sunscreen and since we are the palest people besides true albinos, we use a lot. I worry that it would explode in checked suitcases.

Thanks

You'll be fine with aerosol in checked luggage....place it in a plastic bag or ziplock as someone mentioned. better safe than sorry!

Thanks

Not to hijack the thread, but many health groups are recommending against using sunscreens, especially the aerosol kind (as it gets into the lungs when applied), which contain oxybenzone.

We are throwing out all our old stuff and getting only those which use Z-Cote which is supposed to be safe.

Here is some info.....

CDC Finds 97% of Americans Contaminated by Sunscreens

Taken from NaturalNews

The Centre for Disease Control (CDC) released a new study showing that nearly all Americans are contaminated with oxybenzone, a widely-used sunscreen ingredient. This chemical so far has been linked to allergies, hormone disruption, and cell damage, as well as low birth weight in baby girls whose mothers are exposed during pregnancy. Oxybenzone is also a penetration enhancer, a chemical that helps other chemicals penetrate the skin. So where has the FDA been on this?

Apparently in the back pocket of the sunscreen industry. The Food and Drug Administration, again, has failed in its duty to protect the public from toxic chemicals like oxybenzone. Caving to the industry lobbyists,

the agency has delayed final sunscreen safety standards for nearly 30 years. In their online cosmetic safety database, EWG identifies nearly 600 sunscreens sold in the U.S. that contain oxybenzone, including leading brand names like Hawaiian Tropic, Coppertone, and Banana Boat, and many facial moisturisers as well. On top of that, they also show many of these so-called sunscreens offer inadequate protection from the sun. In fact, they found that sunlight also causes oxybenzone to form free radical

chemicals that may be linked to cell damage, which is the exact opposite reason many women mistakenly use the sunscreen - to protect them from damaging free radicals which lead to premature aging!

Read the full story ----> http://www.naturalnews.com/022990.html

Not to hijack the thread, but many health groups are recommending against using sunscreens, especially the aerosol kind (as it gets into the lungs when applied), which contain oxybenzone.

We are throwing out all our old stuff and getting only those which use Z-Cote which is supposed to be safe.

Here is some info.....

CDC Finds 97% of Americans Contaminated by Sunscreens

Taken from NaturalNews

The Centre for Disease Control (CDC) released a new study showing that nearly all Americans are contaminated with oxybenzone, a widely-used sunscreen ingredient. This chemical so far has been linked to allergies, hormone disruption, and cell damage, as well as low birth weight in baby girls whose mothers are exposed during pregnancy. Oxybenzone is also a penetration enhancer, a chemical that helps other chemicals penetrate the skin. So where has the FDA been on this?

Apparently in the back pocket of the sunscreen industry. The Food and Drug Administration, again, has failed in its duty to protect the public from toxic chemicals like oxybenzone. Caving to the industry lobbyists,

the agency has delayed final sunscreen safety standards for nearly 30 years. In their online cosmetic safety database, EWG identifies nearly 600 sunscreens sold in the U.S. that contain oxybenzone, including leading brand names like Hawaiian Tropic, Coppertone, and Banana Boat, and many facial moisturisers as well. On top of that, they also show many of these so-called sunscreens offer inadequate protection from the sun. In fact, they found that sunlight also causes oxybenzone to form free radical

chemicals that may be linked to cell damage, which is the exact opposite reason many women mistakenly use the sunscreen - to protect them from damaging free radicals which lead to premature aging!

Read the full story ----> http://www.naturalnews.com/022990.html

We just went through the same drill. I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon with internet scares but I researched it and there is some validity to the danger of Oxybenzone and the FDA may actually ban it soon.

It's hard to find without it, though! Only a few brands out there.

We just went through the same drill. I'm not one to jump on the bandwagon with internet scares but I researched it and there is some validity to the danger of Oxybenzone and the FDA may actually ban it soon.

It's hard to find without it, though! Only a few brands out there.

Do you recall which brands do not contain the bad stuff ???

Yes, you can do that but what I recommend due to Flying Weight issues is buy the heavy Shampoo, Conditioner, Sunscreen and toiletries like that once you get there from a nearby Walmart of Walgreens etc. That alone will save you 10 Lbs and an extra $80.00 of over weight luggage fees.

Fred

YOU GUYS ROCK! Thank you...I can now go finish packing. haha

I never knew how hard it was to pack for a family of four trying to prepare for dining - the day stuff was easy. WOW.

Quick Tip, Pack and remove 1/2 of it. Believe me you are not going to use it.

Fred

Do you recall which brands do not contain the bad stuff ???

I ended up with Banana Boat Kids. I really need to find something else - it's so thick and goopy it doesn't rub in well. My mom found Neutrogena Sensitive Skin - haven't talked to her again to see how she likes it. Some of the Burt's Bees also don't have it from what I've read. I was shopping last minute and didn't have time to look around much before our cruise last week. Am going to Target in the morning and will check for some other kind then.

I thought I'd find some in the organic and natural section but most of those brands had the oxybenzone in them, too.

I am really fair skinned and burn very easily so I use a lot of sunblock in the summer! I really loved Coppertone Oil Free! :( But it's got the bad stuff, too.

Oh - read the ingredients carefully. Just the brand won't tell you - you have to find just the right formula. Most of the other Banana Boat ones other than the baby or kids had the oxybenzone and all the Neutrogena I found had it. They just didn't have the sensitive skin one where I was.

Archived