Silversea LA to Tahiti in February? Roll Call - Merged

denham76

We've been away in NY for the weekend. Followed the discussion on iPhone.

I did put together a roll call list a few weeks ago on this thread. It'll have to be updated with all the new cruisers.

There are taxi's and tours from the docks in Papeete, the ship docks almost on the main street. There is a great local market on the dock in the evening with all sorts of local "goodies". Our favorite was the creperie, just like Paris.

I think we are going to stick with SS tours as we do have a bit of a mobility problem and I am sure that we will be well taken care of by the ship's tours.

Just about 100 days out, but, who is counting?

Does anyone know if there are taxis and private car/guides at the dock in Papeete as well?

Yes, ships dock right in town. I can vouch for Dave's VIP Tahiti Tours. Dave is an ex-pat American who came to the island surfing, married a Tahitian lady and gave up his surfing trips to live in Tahiti. He is very friendly and knowledgeable about the islands. I did a half day 'around the island' tour with Dave...it was very enjoyable and I saw some lovely scenery.

Cheers

ging466

Ging466,

Thanks for the tip re: Dave's VIP Tours. I will check him out.

Emtbsam,

Unfortunately, I am not on this cruise. I'll be on the Seabourn Odyssey world cruise which also docks there. I am sure that sooner or later we'll wind up sailing together. I'd love to meet you as well.

It looks like this thread has been "hijacked" and another started on virtually the same trip. I hope that all the roll call members can agree on which thread to communicate, this one or the LA-Tahiti-LA one. We do not care but it would be nice if we were all on the same wave-length.:confused::confused:

Hi Betty and David.

Thanks for the link on the tours. From our door we can do all the same things for a few gallons of gas. I swim most mornings off the Outrigger Canoe Club in Waikiki at the foot of Diamond Head and watch whales in season swim past. Maui pineapple is currently .49c a pound in Safeway. Some of the world's sweetest.

This voyage for us is not destination driven (we are already there) but eleven sea days (mostly) in the tropics on a luxury cruise and disembarking in Honolulu to be home in 30 minutes. And except for the two hours difference beteen Hawaii and California we never leave our time zone.

Just back from a sixteen day Uniworld Grand River cruise in Europe; so that fact alone is extrememly appealing; only five hours flying to LA and then total relaxation. I know you relate to that as you live in LA and cruise without any flying.

See you onboard.

Aloha Ron and Dee

Ron and Dee:

You are indeed blessed to live in Paradise!! But on this 90*F day in S. California we are not too far behind you!!

Glad you enjoyed your river cruise and we are sure that you are now anticipating your SS voyage. Like you, we just enjoy sea days and really don't care if we ever go ashore but exploring Melville's island, Nuku Hiva, to which we haven't been before, sounds intriguing. The last time we visited Papeete we did a 1/2 day ship's tour so we thought a private van tour would be appropriate. We did drive Moorea and Bora Bora ourselves and again think that this time a guided tour would be appropriate. So it looks like we will do a bit of "exploring." Christmas Island is a "joke." Last time we went there we spoke with a couple of island police at the beach where we landed. They told us that they were going on patrol so we asked if we may accompany them in their 4 seat Jeep. They agreed and much to the astonishment of the rest of the pax who were milling around looking for something to do, we were whipped off for our "guided tour" of the very primitive island. One of our colorful cruising stories we love to recount!!

Aloha--:):):)

Ron and Dee:

You are indeed blessed to live in Paradise!! But on this 90*F day in S. California we are not too far behind you!!

Glad you enjoyed your river cruise and we are sure that you are now anticipating your SS voyage. Like you, we just enjoy sea days and really don't care if we ever go ashore but exploring Melville's island, Nuku Hiva, to which we haven't been before, sounds intriguing. The last time we visited Papeete we did a 1/2 day ship's tour so we thought a private van tour would be appropriate. We did drive Moorea and Bora Bora ourselves and again think that this time a guided tour would be appropriate. So it looks like we will do a bit of "exploring." Christmas Island is a "joke." Last time we went there we spoke with a couple of island police at the beach where we landed. They told us that they were going on patrol so we asked if we may accompany them in their 4 seat Jeep. They agreed and much to the astonishment of the rest of the pax who were milling around looking for something to do, we were whipped off for our "guided tour" of the very primitive island. One of our colorful cruising stories we love to recount!!

Aloha--:):):)

Good morning,

The Marquesas and Rangiroa and Christmas Island will be new for us. Last we were in Papeete on the Legend of the Seas I noted the street curb gutters were full of trash. What to do on Bora? Well, I can get some local knowledge from a friend who spends time here in Hawaii Kai and Bora on an equal basis. As I mentioned we'll be seeing them and hopefully having them aboard for lunch if they in Bora residence. I spent a week on Bora forty years ago (NO!) when he was assistant manager of the Hotel Bora Bora. He put the three of us in VIP room for $5 a day each! But all fairy tales have their limits...we were not in a bungalow over the water. I've always thought of Bora as an 'underwater' paradise with that beauitful

lagoon. But apperances can decieve. Like my picnic on a moto off the hotel I later renamed Fly Island.

Final payment due in a week. That makes the voyage a reality more than a dream.

Aloha,

Ron and Dee

Just received from Carl's tours in Papeete.

"My Van can hold up to 7 pax comfortably. I prefer the Tahiti tour because there is a lot more to see. Half day tour in Tahiti comes to 3.500 francs per person & I can fit up to 8 pax."

That's $43.00 pp. for 7 people. Anyone interested in 1/2 day tour? DW

Also 1/2 day in Moorea which is about $18.00 pp if we can get 7 people.

Carl has been highly recommended on another board.

dwelsh,

How long did it take Carl to respond to your email? I emailed a couple of days ago and have not yet heard back. If that's typical I understand.

Do you know what kind of half day tour of Papeete you'll be getting?

Thanks.

dwelsh,

How long did it take Carl to respond to your email? I emailed a couple of days ago and have not yet heard back. If that's typical I understand.

Do you know what kind of half day tour of Papeete you'll be getting?

Thanks.

Hi! I emailed on Saturday. His tour is detailed on the web site I originally quoted.

DW

Hi, I would be intrested in the Moorea tour, however, I am already booked on the morning catamaran tour, but I can always re schedule to the afternoon. What time is your tour departing? While I am at it, could a "Tahiti expert" suggest whether snorkeling is better in the AM or PM, mainly I am wondering about rain showers since we are cruising in the rainy season.

Hi, I would be intrested in the Moorea tour, however, I am already booked on the morning catamaran tour, but I can always re schedule to the afternoon. What time is your tour departing? While I am at it, could a "Tahiti expert" suggest whether snorkeling is better in the AM or PM, mainly I am wondering about rain showers since we are cruising in the rainy season.

I haven't yet booked tour in either Moorea or Papeete. Will let you know later if I decide to reserve.

Re snorkeling, I don't think that it would make much difference AM or PM, in the rain or in the sun!!! But there again i am no snorkeling expert!!:):)

Thanks, please keep me posted on the Moorea tour. Regarding snorkeling, I was once on Bora Bora with a 3 day stretch of rain...the postcard images were no where to be found including under the water. Though the 4-wheel drive safari was fun in the mud. Let's just think that we will have sun (and if we don't we will have each others company) "worst weather on a vacation stories" at the verandah bar.

RC so far

Spook1 LA - HNL Ron & Dee

Sitmarboy LA - PPT

Dwelsh Agoura Hills, CA LA - LA Betty & David #818

Kristysu

EMTBsam LA - LA

Warren and Gay Lein - Chatworth CA (Not CC'ers)

I think we also have WRIPRO - CA

Let's add some names & maybe suite #'s to the list and hopefully some more participants.

Unfortunately, I am not on this cruise. I'll be in Tahiti around the same time on the world cruise of another line that begins with S.

Dwelsh, I heard back from Carl and have booked him for a full day tour. Thanks so much for the link again.

RC so far

Spook1 LA - HNL Ron & Dee

Sitmarboy LA - PPT

Dwelsh Agoura Hills, CA LA - LA Betty & David #818

Kristysu

EMTBsam LA - LA

Warren and Gay Lein - Chatworth CA (Not CC'ers)

I think we also have WRIPRO - CA

Let's add some names & maybe suite #'s to the list and hopefully some more participants.

Suite 523 for Bob & Victoria

Archived