All Things Galveston Island, Texas!

Texas Teen

I will be there Thursday & Friday! Kids get out of school at noon on Thursday and I am taking them for a quick overnighter for an end of year treat. We are staying at the newly reopened Tremont House. Not sure what we will do probably go to Rainforest Cafe. They love that place. Does anyone know if the railroad museum that was at the end of the strand is reopened? What about the chocolate factory? The Ecstasy will be in port that day and we sail on her in Nov. BTW...interesting that Galveston is your favorite. I live nearby and even if I like going down to the beach often, I would not call it my favorite city. The beaches are ugly compared to Florida or other places.

Glad you are coming to Galveston.

However, the beaches are not ugly.

Okay, we get seaweed this time of year. But the sargassum feeds all the creatures in the sea, comes from the west coast of Africa and also covers the beaches from Florida to Padre Island.

We sailed the transatlantic in April last year from Galveston, the entire Atlantic Ocean was filled with it as well as the "great" beaches in Florida.

If people would quit complaining about it and let nature takes its course, we would have great sand dunes, no subsidence, pretty beaches and a protected coastline. But tourists don't want it so it is scraped up everyday and the beach erodes away with every high tide.

Rallroad museum is not open yet, Chocolate Factory is.

Olympia Grill at Harbor House officially opens tomorrow.

However, the beaches are not ugly.

As you know, the view from every beach in the world is the same. Sky up above and water for as far as the eye can see. The poster might be refering to the color of the sand. I know that the Florida panhandle and Alabama beaches all have sugar white sand. I've never been to Galveston so I don't know what color your sand is. Just thought I'd throw that out there. I've never been to Galveston, however, I grew up in Niigata, Japan which is a sister city to Galveston. I didn't attend Japanese school so I missed out on learning about Galveston. Instead, I attended a private Canadian school, so I learned about the Hudson Bay Trading Co. and a bunch of other north of the border stuff that I have since forgotten. I still know the words to the Canadian national anthem and don't know ours. :)

Oopss.. don't know if I would have admitted that?? I did not really learn the National Anthem in school, but more at sporting events. Rodeos, football and such...

One season of the Cowboys would teach it to ya..

Hey, I have been to those beaches with the sugary sand, it rained the whole time, and was not very nice.

Galveston is unique in so many other areas, besides just the beaches. That is what makes it one of my favorite towns.

The beaches are great, almost always sunny and nice. If you go out of town a little and stop at the public beaches it is really great there. Really natural, and not touristy!!

Plus they have the best eating around. One of my other favorites is the way there is stuff to do on both sides. You have the fun, exciting Strand area. Then on the other side is the beach. What a great set up.

My other favorite thing are the homes. Galveston is so full of fabulous history that is is often forgotten. One tour of those homes, and you feel like you are back in the '30's. My mother-in-law actually lived in Galveston in the '30's, and she used to have wonderful stories about the city.

She actually hung out with some gangster types, took boats around to the beach area and danced all night at the bar that used to go out on the ocean (that was sadly destroyed). She saw several famous people. She was a professional ball room dancer (not like Dancing With The Stars--- the other kind).... Then they would sleep on the beaches and just camp out. How fun would that be!! Wish she was still here, so I could hear more stories.

She knew the real Galveston.... It is a great town, and I can not wait to visit this Summer... We always go for several days.

Another great time, was when we took out bicycles. It was a ride and a half, but it was great fun. We rode to the Strand for lunch (after having ridden up and down the fun sidewalk at the beach) .. but the problem then was after too much fun and drink at the Strand, it was a real burger to ride back to the beach. ha-ha

Great times in Galveston... can't wait to go back...:cool:

I guess I should have said that I meant the color of the water. :o I love the emerald green waters of Florida and the gorgeous blue of the Caribbean and Galveston is just dirt colored. I know it is because the bottom of the gulf is dirt and the bottom of Florida is sand. The water is all the same. I also think that when you live somewhere all your life you just dont appreciate it like others do. Hence..me. The beach itself is fine and the color of the sand doesnt matter to me. As far as the other stuff to do in Galveston, I agree that it is a great city. And I know I will have a good time this week when I visit.

FYI: The color of the water is dictated by the Mississippi River and Delta. The currents bring the silt along the upper Texas coast. The last few weeks, the water has been very green, but winds out of the southeast can change the color rapidly.

It is a shame our coast suffers due to another state, but that is mother nature.

Have a wonderful time in Galveston. Backyard Garden Tour is this coming weekend as is Plankowners fund raiser for the Elissa and Texas Seaport Museum.

I had the oppertunity to talk to a Galveston-based harbor pilot just off the Grand Princess a couple of years ago. Great guy and full of good information. He commented on the Gulf current bringing the silt from the Mississippi river but, despite the apperance, it's one of the few harbors in the country where it's safe to fish/shrimp.

I don't live in Galveston and agree that, as a beach destination, I'd rather be on the Florida Gulf Coast. But there is nothing in Florida quite like this town.

I want to see Seawall Blvd! :D I want to see the Hotel Galvez! The Galvez is the best hotel I've ever stayed at! My mom's best friend stayed with us at the hotel, and helped pay for our room! I also want to see the beaches, and the Harbor, and... I want to see Galveston!

I miss Galveston already!

I'm a pier *something* in Galveston, TX for the Voyager of the seas and Norfolk, VA for the Grandeur of the Seas. You'll have to come see me to see what that *something* is!

You're in Norfolk, VA until Grandeur of the Seas goes back to Florida? :eek: How can you be away from Texas so long? :eek:

I live in houston and cant say that Galveston is all that great its a cool place to visit, but i would not stay there for vacation for the beach, the sand is hard and brown and the water is full of sediment. I wish they would open up the bay port terminal then people could stay in houston and have more to do.

I will be in Galveston this weekend. Sadly, I won't be boarding a cruise ship! It is my sister's bachelorette party weekend. 10 "girls", if you can call us that! Looking forward to a nice condo, sitting on the beach, and listening to the ocean. Closing my eyes and pretending I'm back on Passion Island in Cozumel!!

I live in houston and cant say that Galveston is all that great its a cool place to visit, but i would not stay there for vacation for the beach, the sand is hard and brown and the water is full of sediment. I wish they would open up the bay port terminal then people could stay in houston and have more to do.

See my post of June 1st. The sand is only hard after high tide goes out. Sand is so soft it blows across Seawall blvd.

Beaches are crowded and people are enjoying this great island.

Glad others love Galveston and choose to come here for vacation.

You're in Norfolk, VA until Grandeur of the Seas goes back to Florida? :eek: How can you be away from Texas so long? :eek:

I just got back to Texas a few hours ago. We've been gone for three weeks working different ships, including Carnival's Holiday (Mobile, AL), Carnival Triumph and the Grandeur of the Seas out of Norfolk. It's been a lot of fun. The Grandeur goes to Baltimore in a week or so and is there for a little while.

How can I be away for so long? It's not so bad when I'm doing a job that I truely love. Although I can't say that I wasn't antsy to get home :D

I will be there Thursday & Friday! Kids get out of school at noon on Thursday and I am taking them for a quick overnighter for an end of year treat. We are staying at the newly reopened Tremont House. Not sure what we will do probably go to Rainforest Cafe. They love that place. Does anyone know if the railroad museum that was at the end of the strand is reopened? What about the chocolate factory? The Ecstasy will be in port that day and we sail on her in Nov. BTW...interesting that Galveston is your favorite. I live nearby and even if I like going down to the beach often, I would not call it my favorite city. The beaches are ugly compared to Florida or other places.

Hey Karen, how was the Tremont House?? Was it completely up and running? How 'bout that beautiful antique bar I have heard so much about? We are staying there pre-cruise in August, can't wait!

Hey Karen, how was the Tremont House?? Was it completely up and running? How 'bout that beautiful antique bar I have heard so much about? We are staying there pre-cruise in August, can't wait!

It hasnt changed much in decor as it is still beautiful. I would not say they are completely up and running as there is still workers in the hotel painting and stuff. The area that has the suites and fancy "apartment" type suites were not close to being ready. The cafe is not open until July and the rooftop patio deck was being stained while I was there. I would guess by your stay in Aug. it will be all back to normal. FYI: they definitely put a hold on your cc and it takes about 4-5 days to come off. I never saw a sign for this at check-in desk but the desk at the Galvez had a sign. We did not go on the strand but drove around. The Sunflower bakery on 14th is really nice with goodies galore!

I want to see Seawall Blvd! :D I want to see the Hotel Galvez! The Galvez is the best hotel I've ever stayed at! My mom's best friend stayed with us at the hotel, and helped pay for our room! I also want to see the beaches, and the Harbor, and... I want to see Galveston!

I miss Galveston already!

I've been on my laptop almost exclusively so I don't have access to my pictures for the most part. I'm going to be on the island meeting up with a group of friends from another website forum and I'll definitely take some pictures for you then.

Although they're old, I thought you might appreciate these

I've been on my laptop almost exclusively so I don't have access to my pictures for the most part. I'm going to be on the island meeting up with a group of friends from another website forum and I'll definitely take some pictures for you then.

Although they're old, I thought you might appreciate these

Poor Galveston! :( Shame on Hurricane Ike!

Archived