Which Adapter to Bring/Money exchange

sws49

We are going to be on a Grand Circle River Cruise in a few weeks. Our accommodations with be on the River Rhapsody touring the Rhine and Mosel Rivers. Can someone tell me which adapter to bring for use of an electric razor? Also, is it wise to change your dollars to Euro's in the US or how do you go about it in Europe? What is the charge to use your ATM? Thanking you in advance for any help you can give me.

Electrical Adapter--Most hotels and ships provide one US plug/voltage adapter in the bathroom. Even if your shaver has a setting for 220v you will need an adapter (not a converter) to use it on a 220v plug. Check with the cruise line. It is a good idea to bring along a 220v to 110v current converter with a European male plug, especially if you are going to charge up camera batteries or use any other electrical devise, e.g. a laptop computer.

Money Exchange--The cheapest way to get money is using a bank debit card with a Visa or Master Charge logo. (Most European ATMs do not accept Discover cards. Call your bank and find out their exchange charges and tell them when and were you will be in Europe. Do the same with your credit cards. You will probably find that the credit card charges are much more than your bank card. Both credit card and debit cards transactions can be declined if they think there is a problem with your location. Do not use your credit card to withdraw cash. That is a cash advance and you will be paying exhorbant interest charges, in addition to exchange charges, which start the day you made the withdrawal and lasting until the bill is paid off. Our interest rate on our United card is over 17%!!!

Check your electrical appliances for use with 220V. Almost all newer appliances automatically shift when plugged in. We spend months out of the country each year and take a computer, phone, camera and shaver none of which require a converter. Just bring a 2 round prong male European plug which all your plugs will fit into. If in England it's the triangular 3 prong large plug and again no converter needed.

Check your electrical appliances for use with 220V. Almost all newer appliances automatically shift when plugged in. We spend months out of the country each year and take a computer, phone, camera and shaver none of which require a converter. Just bring a 2 round prong male European plug which all your plugs will fit into. If in England it's the triangular 3 prong large plug and again no converter needed.

Saved me a lot of typing . . . ATM as well as credit card foreign currency transactions vary bank to bank as well as by brand of card. You really need to inquirer with your providers.

We recently returned from a trans-Atlantic cruise and a 5 day stay in Barcelona. I'm looking at these threads because we want to do a river cruise in 2010.

We had absolutely no problems using a debit card at European ATM's and I can tell you that we got a much more favorable exchange rate than trying to buy Euro's before leaving the States. We have a Capital One debit card and a Capital One credit card. We've had the credit card for a couple of years but got the debit card specifically for this trip as I read on the European boards that it was one of the most economical cards to have. There is lots of useful info on money matters on the European boards here.

As others have stated, be sure to alert your debit card and credit card people that you will be out of the country. I double checked with each before we left as my first notification seemed to go undocumented.

Archived