Paris hotel recommendation for post-cruise trip; USD $150 or less, clean + quiet

mikeerdas

I'm looking for a good post-cruise hotel in Paris. Doing a rome-to-rome cruise in late Sept 2009; flying into Rome and spending two nights there, then spending 3 nights in Paris and flying out of Paris.

My criteria:

-- USD $150 or less; I'm paying USD $183/night in Rome, and that's far more than what I wanted to pay; Paris hotels seem to be a better value than Roman hotels. I've read that September is "Convention" time in Paris and is high season, so I'm trying to book sooner than later.

-- In a quiet location (light sleeper)

-- Clean

-- Centrally located (not sure which arrondisement I want, but am open to suggestions); Near a metro would be nice

Am presently searching Venere.com and TripAdvisor.com for recommendations, but am interested to know what CCers have found and used.

Thanks.

Mike

I'm looking for a good post-cruise hotel in Paris. Doing a rome-to-rome cruise in late Sept 2009; flying into Rome and spending two nights there, then spending 3 nights in Paris and flying out of Paris.

My criteria:

-- USD $150 or less; I'm paying USD $183/night in Rome, and that's far more than what I wanted to pay; Paris hotels seem to be a better value than Roman hotels. I've read that September is "Convention" time in Paris and is high season, so I'm trying to book sooner than later.

-- Clean

-- Centrally located (not sure which arrondisement I want, but am open to suggestions); Near a metro would be nice

Am presently searching Venere.com and TripAdvisor.com for recommendations, but am interested to know what CCers have found and used.

Thanks.

Mike

Prices in Paris in the Fall can be high,and where I generally stay is higher than you want,but check out the Left Bank on Venere.com and see what you can find re your requirements..it gives ARR's as well as mapped re hotels...link below..

Hotel reservations - Venere.com

We stayed at Hotel La Perle in the St. Germain arrondisement. Although the rooms were small they were clean and it was quiet. They served a continental breakfast. We were two blocks from a metro. I don't remember what we paid but it was last summer when the dollar was so weak. The hotel wasn't fancy by any means, but it served our purpose since we weren't in the room hardly at all.

Have fun in Paris!

I spent more time researching hotels in Paris than we actually spent there. Ended up at Les Grands Hommes, directly across from the Pantheon, near the Sorbonne, 1 long block to Metro, great Left Bank neighborhood. We asked for and received a room with double wrought iron balconies which was lovely. I don't know what their current rates are but it was close to your criteria amount when we were there about 16 months ago.

Cathy

I decided to go with Hotel Valadon. Their cancellation policy is a bit extreme (you lose a minimum of 1 night's cost, even if you cancel months in advance), but it's in "Rick Steves" neighborhood of Rue Cler, and I'm a fan of Rick Steves. A little more upscale than he recommends, but the price difference didn't seem extreme.

Being #12 in the TripAdvisor ratings for Paris, they must be doing something right. Hope it's a gamble that pays off.

Mike

I'd strongly recommend L@Academie in St Germain. It is a five minute walk to the hustle and bustle of the amazing St Germain Boulevard and some of Paris's most famous cafes but situated in a very quiet side street. It is alos walking distance to the Eiffel Tower, Notre Dame and the Champs Elysee. It's in a fabulous typical French building and incredibly chique. The dining room in the cellar is really something e;lse. if you want to experinece the real paris both inside and out, then try this traditional hotel, rather than a International chain that will have almost no character

We just got back from our post-cruise visit to Paris and we stayed at the Hotel College de France in the Latin Quarter. We absolutely loved it! The location was great...metro close by, and the staff was wonderful. We walked almost everywhere from that location...a couple times we took the metro and walked back. We paid $104 Euros per night for a double bed. The room was small, but very clean and comfortable.

We met a lady while there that said she & her husband has been coming every year for 10 years and stays a couple weeks in that hotel.

I would not hesitate to stay there again. Hope I get the chance to.

We stayed at the Hotel Derby Eiffel on the left bank (like it much more than the right where it is noisy and more expensive) It is within walking distance to the Eiffel Tower and probably a 15-20 min walk to the Louvre, Bonaparte's tomb, the Tulleries, the Orsay Museum, Rodan's Museum, etc. and just a block or so from a subway station that is easy to use and takes you anywhere. It was clean - rooms small as most are in the smaller hotels - and affordable. We were there in October. I do remember that you can't get a taxi between 8 and 9 in the morning. :)

My criteria:

-- Clean

Thanks.

Mike

You should consider getting an apartment in Paris - so much more for your money. My son and daughter in law stayed in one 2 summers ago that I found for them. A small efficiency in the center of Paris, with bath, kitchen, wifi, laundry, phone, less than a block from the metro ... All for less than $100 per night. Very nice, and clean. If you stay for 3 nights, as you are, you sometimes get a discount.

Try vrbo dot com . Just put in Paris, and whatever area you would like to stay in. Lots to choose from, with all kinds of features.

Enjoy your trip ! :)

I recommend the http://www.hotel-argenson.com/ We've stayed here twice. It's not super fancy, but the rooms are good sized and it's very clean-plus it's in the swanky 8th arrondissement. It's family run and the proprietors are very friendly and accomodating. You'll get a continental breakfast delivered to your room at what time you choose. It's walking distance to the Arc de Triomphe and the metro is about one block down. There is a grocery across the street and a coffee shop/bakery next door. We truly love this hotel.

You should consider getting an apartment in Paris - so much more for your money. My son and daughter in law stayed in one 2 summers ago that I found for them. A small efficiency in the center of Paris, with bath, kitchen, wifi, laundry, phone, less than a block from the metro ... All for less than $100 per night. Very nice, and clean. If you stay for 3 nights, as you are, you sometimes get a discount.

Try vrbo dot com . Just put in Paris, and whatever area you would like to stay in. Lots to choose from, with all kinds of features.

Enjoy your trip ! :)

Thanks. I would love to do so, but I do not think I can cancel my current hotel.

I had seen something about renting apartments on the Travel Channel, but had forgotten it could be affordable. If this option is available, I really wonder why most people would choose to pay the exorbitant hotel prices in Paris, when apartments are a much better value. Anyone care to guess?

In my case, I simply wasn't thinking there were other options. Also, I had not considered B&Bs. No one has mentioned a B&B. Are there B&B-type establishments in Paris?

Mike

• 3 weeks later...

Have finally gotten round to doing my research on finding another hotel (or possibly an apartment--depends on which is the better value).

I will do a price check (this is for late September) of the hotels already mentioned (thank you), but I'm finding two-star hotels like Hotel Valadon are a costly 135 euros a night (around USD $188/night). A bit of a budget buster, especially since I extended my Paris visit from 3 nights to 4. Seems like a lot of the two stars recommended in guidebooks by Rick Steves and other budget travel guides are between ~125 to ~135 euros a night. Honestly haven't found many below 130 euros. The few I could find were already fully booked.

Has anyone recently returned from Paris, and if so, could you recommend a modest, but clean and safe, hotel in a lower arrondisement that goes for, say, 115 euros a night or less (for two adults, single bed, preferably with a bathroom vs. one down the hall). Although I'd consider a bathroom down the hall for a great price. Wouldn't want to pay for a shower though--that seems tacky, and I haven't had to pay for a shower since my youth hostel traveling days.

Here are the hotels recommended in this thread that cost more than my budget. Some may have misinterpreted me and thought I had asked for 150 euros or less, not USD $150 or less.

For the month of September, here's what these places charge for a double (2 adults), in euros. The hotel I already have booked is 135 euros a night (~$188 USD per night--still too much):

* Les Grandes Hommes - 158 euros.

* L'Academie at Saint Germain - 165 euros.

* Hotel La Perle - 175 euros (most expensive one recommended here)

* Hotel Derby Eiffel - 135 euros.

* Accor hotels - any of them. Prices started at 140 euros and went up.

Two hotels recommended might meet my budget. Am emailing them to be sure. Still haven't gotten to my apartment search yet, but that's looking like the better option.

In fairness, the hotels recommended above may, in fact, be cheaper in the off season. But September is considered high season evidently. Several of the above were 3 star hotels (often no better than 2 star hotels from what I've heard, but may have nicer lobbies). The star rating for hotels in France is completely different from any star rating in the United States.

We stayed in three hotels on out visits to Paris last September. We booked all of them on Priceline. Meridien Montparnasse@ $132. (very nice and very convenient for our trip to Versailles), Marriott Courtyard Neully @ $84. (very nice) both for 2 days, and our final night at the Hilton Charles de Gaulle for an early morning flight @ $118. (absolutely first rate hotel and they upgrade us to the business floor which provided refreshments and breakfast in the morning). The Meridien and the Marriott, althought in different parts of Paris, were both close to the Air France bus stop that takes you directly to, and from the airport.

Archived