Princess not giving us our onboard credit!

Poppy01

:(Hi

On our last cruise we completed a form that allowed you $100 for your next Princess Cruise dependant on duration of cruise. Before we booked our cruise I phone the Captain's Circle and they confirmed that we would receive our credit. Last week I emailed Princess Cruises to confirm that everything is okay and now they tell me that I won't get our $100!! They have said "is not combinable with any other offer". We were not aware that we got any special offer through Virgin Cruises. I feel that Princess are trying to get out of giving us our credit. Has anyone else had this problem? It would make me think twice about going with Princess again especially when there are other companies doing the Alaska cruise cheaper.

On our last cruise we completed a form that allowed you $100 for your next Princess Cruise dependant on duration of cruise. Before we booked our cruise I phone the Captain's Circle and they confirmed that we would receive our credit. Last week I emailed Princess Cruises to confirm that everything is okay and now they tell me that I won't get our $100!! They have said "is not combinable with any other offer". We were not aware that we got any special offer through Virgin Cruises. I feel that Princess are trying to get out of giving us our credit. Has anyone else had this problem? It would make me think twice about going with Princess again especially when there are other companies doing the Alaska cruise cheaper.

The form that you received on your previous cruise would have quoted a reference number. When you book your next cruise, after receiving any discounts that your travel agent may give you, you quote this number and then receive the benefit of only having to pay a £75 deposit per person and on board credit dependant of the length of the cruise and the type of cabin. This credit will show on your booking confirmation that your travel agent should forward to you from Princess and is shown in the right hand column as 'OBC (USD)'

We have done this on numerous occasions and always recommend to friends that they obtain the letter on each Princess cruise - it is an excellent benefit.

Go back to your travel agent and get them to sort it!!!!

We did this on our last cruise: we paid $100 each, this gives us a deposit on a future cruise and $100 each on board credit for that cruise. When we paid this we were asked whether it should be for a cruise booked via an American travel agent or a UK one. We were told it was not transferable between the two! We said we would use an American one, but in the event we have booked our next cruise via a British travel agent. With my tongue firmly in my cheek I asked this travel agent about the FCC, (not mentioning that we specified an American agent), she said she would check with Princess, and came back - yes, it's OK. We only had to pay £75 each deposit, and we have our $100 dollars OBC.

So my advice is: check with your travel agent - he or she should be able to sort this out with Princess. It does help if you have the letter from Princess, which you should have got when you made that deposit, with the reference number on it.

Now I'm really confused - The Future Cruise Consultants on all the Princess cruises we have done have all said that they are unable to actually take any money from UK people, that they just give them a letter which entitles them to pay just £75 deposit plus onboard credit depending on the length of the cruise being booked. We have never had a problem getting the low deposit or the on board credit. Perhaps the problem lies in having booked through another company (Virgin) and not through Princess, either with or without a travel agent.

I can`t see who you booked with should affect your future cruise credit.

The first time I registered we had to email Princess a couple of times before we received our letter of confirmation. This year it arrived in our cabin the day after we registered.

If you have your letter with a number on it I would check again. You are entitled to it in my opinion.

We did this on our last cruise: we paid $100 each, this gives us a deposit on a future cruise and $100 each on board credit for that cruise. When we paid this we were asked whether it should be for a cruise booked via an American travel agent or a UK one. We were told it was not transferable between the two! We said we would use an American one, but in the event we have booked our next cruise via a British travel agent. With my tongue firmly in my cheek I asked this travel agent about the FCC, (not mentioning that we specified an American agent), she said she would check with Princess, and came back - yes, it's OK. We only had to pay £75 each deposit, and we have our $100 dollars OBC.

So my advice is: check with your travel agent - he or she should be able to sort this out with Princess. It does help if you have the letter from Princess, which you should have got when you made that deposit, with the reference number on it.

The australian and Uk passengers can get FCC letters on board in any currency offered but they do not pay for them BECAUSE Princess say they can only use them when they book through UK or aussie travel agents or their own Princess direct head office and of course in those circumstances they are paying VERY MUCH more than the USA TA's offer.

I have used these australian FCC IN ADDITION to the extra on board credit given by a travel agent so the Virgin is actually wrong They should use the reference number on the letters and keep nagging Virgin for this. They are relatively new to the cruise circuit so perhaps do not know the regulations yet. If they do not help write directly to Head Office

This may be the wrong thread but I can get this off my cheast. I can certainly vouch for the fact that Princess treat UK travellers as second class citizens. We are charged typically one third more than in the US, No price drops are passed on to us, and also if the price drops Princess will not give an upgrade to cover the difference. Princess state that the ecomomic demograhics are different in the UK to the US. I have lost a lot of money by booking a cruise last April for a journey in October this year. The cost now is over a third less than I paid, Princess just say tough.

Regards Michael Pilkington

This may be the wrong thread but I can get this off my cheast. I can certainly vouch for the fact that Princess treat UK travellers as second class citizens. We are charged typically one third more than in the US, No price drops are passed on to us, and also if the price drops Princess will not give an upgrade to cover the difference. Princess state that the ecomomic demograhics are different in the UK to the US. I have lost a lot of money by booking a cruise last April for a journey in October this year. The cost now is over a third less than I paid, Princess just say tough.

Regards Michael Pilkington

Many of us on this board understand this and wish that things would change. We have friends in the UK and don't understand why UK people are treated this way.

This is a benefit for UK passengers and you do not have to pay any deposit on board. Just obtain the letter. :)

Same with the Aussies. Get the FCC letter from the future cruise sales office with OBC and $200 deposit only required for your next cruise. Letter must be used within 4 years.

Using two letters on our B2B next week on CP.

Amount of OBC depends on inside/outside cabin, length of cruise.

Similar thing happened to us - took 5 attempts at the passenger service desk to remedy the situation.

The australian and Uk passengers can get FCC letters on board in any currency offered but they do not pay for them BECAUSE Princess say they can only use them when they book through UK or aussie travel agents or their own Princess direct head office and of course in those circumstances they are paying VERY MUCH more than the USA TA's offer.

This is weird! We did pay for them! Nobody said that Princess wouldn't accept our payment for the deposit. As I said, we were asked and said that we would use a US travel agent - but we weren't told that if we used a UK agent we couldn't pay!

I agree that we in the UK (and Australia) aren't treated fairly. I have checked about our upcoming cruise, in December, and in fact our UK agent has given us a price for the cruise only which is roughly the same as the US price - I've also checked online with a US agent. The problem comes with the flights and transfers, which we have to do through Princess this time and which are very expensive, bumping up the cost of the cruise.

What I feel is really unfair is that any drops in the price of the cruise can't be utilised by us once we have booked and paid our deposit, and we can't cancel without losing the deposit. Last year, using a US agent, we paid in full when we booked, as at the time we got two dollars to the pound, and although we couldn't benefit from any price drop we could have cancelled up to 75 days before the cruise without losing a penny.

We also had this issue. Four of us had the $100 obc for a future cruise. After having paid the deposit, we checked with regards to the obc to be told this was not applicable as we had a reduced price booking. This was not made clear when booking, and to cancel and re-book would have cost us at least GBP 700 (7 of us in total travelling). In all, we emailed the captains circle to explain, we were advised that there are now terms and conditions applicable to the obc, however as our letters did not state this, they would re-instate the obc for all four of us. Happy ending.

We also had this issue. Four of us had the $100 obc for a future cruise. After having paid the deposit, we checked with regards to the obc to be told this was not applicable as we had a reduced price booking. This was not made clear when booking, and to cancel and re-book would have cost us at least GBP 700 (7 of us in total travelling). In all, we emailed the captains circle to explain, we were advised that there are now terms and conditions applicable to the obc, however as our letters did not state this, they would re-instate the obc for all four of us. Happy ending.

This is a strange one. I have never come across this. Everybody gets reduced prices. I haven`t met anyone who pays the full brochure price. I checked and our OBC is on our account for this cruise.

We booked for our forthcoming B2B in October last May. The price at this moment, including the flights from the UK, is actually higher that the price we paid.

I am not complaining.:)

We've twice booked cruises through TA special offers and using our FCCs and on both occasions were allowed to use our FCC and we got our onboard credit - the last cruise in January we booked for 8 people and got obc for the 6 adults. We are also booked on Dawn Princess in August, again through a TA special offer, and have again been allowed to use our FCC and have been given the onboard credit that goes with the FCC. I will be very annoyed indeed if I get on board and find out they have taken the obc off. It is a 26 day cruise with $150 each obc and if Princess did take it off it would definitely mean that I would look to other cruise companies in the future. If I were you I would go back through Captains Circle and ask them to look at it again.

We certainly do not pay for our FCCs and are given two at a time. We get a reduced deposit of £75 per person, with the exception of cruises like our world cruise sector in August when we had to pay just over 10% of the cruise price.

When I stated we had a reduced price booking, I meant that we had received a "heavily" reduced price booking, which no other travel agent could get anywhere near (being at least GBP800 in total less than anywherelse). I had never come across this issue before, having cruised over 18 times, and 10 with Princess and utilised the FCC previously. When booking we were advised we could not use the reduced deposit, but as this only worked out at less than GBP150 we were not concerned.

We booked about 6-8 weeks ago, for a cruise in October. Our FCC letters were at least one year old.

Archived