Excursions

nikita

We are taking a cruise in December. This will be our first on Norwegian Cruiselines. I have heard it is hard to book excursions on this cruiseline. Please provide any info about how to reserve and how soon you need to reserve excursions to get the best ones.

You did not mention when and where you might be cruising. That might alert others to those that might sell out. Some excursions book quick. Others are still available after you board. Many people wait, others book in advance. And of course, there is the group that always does independent ones.

I would visit the Roll Call for your cruise along with Ports of Call message boards to get some better ideas.

Us? We never book until after we board, but we do most on our own anyways.

I actually think it's quite easy to book excursion through NCL. Just create an account on NCL.com (if you don't already have one). Under "my account" you'll see the cruise that you booked. There should be a button for excursions - just click on that and you can book your excursions online. When the excursions are available, there will be a link by each port stating something to the effect "ready to book." Just make sure when you booking, you check-out. I did not realize I had to do that the first time. It's wasn't a big deal - I just had to book them again. You will "excursion details" under each port once they booked. You will not be charged until you are the ship for the cost of each excursion.

As far as when they are available, I'm not sure. I booked some excursions for a cruise that is 8 months out. I am still waiting on 3 other ports right now. I just check the NCL website on a weekly basis to see when they are available. I think you could also call to see when they will be available and make a note to book around that time. I do like to book early just to make sure I get the excursion I want (I'm a little overzealous when it comes to planning). You can always book one and cancel it if you change your mind and want to do another one. You have at least 48 hours (someone may correct me on that though - I think it's 48 hours) before the excursion happens to cancel.

I hope this helped.

After I have done some homework I may or may not book through ship. But if I know I'm going to go with ship excursion then I book in advance (before embarking) in order to avoid line ups and filling out forms once on board.

When you enter your cabin your envelop with tickets for booked excursions will be on your bed.

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. Sounds just like other cruiselines we have been on in regards to how excursions are handled. We are leaving in Dec. so we have plenty of time to decide. Thanks again.

Thank you everyone for your quick responses. Sounds just like other cruiselines we have been on in regards to how excursions are handled. We are leaving in Dec. so we have plenty of time to decide. Thanks again.

I've cruised on Princess, Carnival and NCL, booked excursions through the cruiselines on each cruise, and really find no difference in getting the excursions I've wanted.

OP.. there are two things I wanted to mention to you.

1. If there is an excursion you see and you REALLY want to take it, book it ASAP. One cruise we were on there was an excursion that we wanted to take but we thought there would be no problem just booking it once onboard, so we did not pre-book. Well.. it was another cruiseline and they sold out of that excursion before the cruise started and never were able to get us on that excursion as time went by on the cruise.

2. With NCL, even if it shows sold out online (which by the way the only way you will know that is if the excursion all of a sudden disappears) they do hold a few tickets for people to book once they are onboard. Now I have no experience with that personally, as we now always book excursions in advance, but have read that many times here on CC. From what I have read if this happens, the second you step foot onboard, head to the excursion desk and see when they open and be there the minute they open too book it.

I would hate for you to get your hopes up for a particular excursion like we did and be so disappointed because it sells out.

Archived