Emerald Princess gym questions

hunter33

We don't have a decent gym close to our house and prefer to work out at home anyway, so we put together a nice home gym downstairs to be able to use it any time we want. We've gotten into a routine of running on the treadmill early in the morning and working out at night.

I keep reading that the gyms on Emerald Princess are very crowded at times, and that the ceiling is too low for people over 6' to use the ellipticals and treadmills. Will there typically be treadmills available in the mornings, and will a 6'2" guy be able to use them? I was also wondering if they have free weights and if the gym is crowded at night. We've gotten used to working out and home and not having to wait on equipment.

We don't have a decent gym close to our house and prefer to work out at home anyway, so we put together a nice home gym downstairs to be able to use it any time we want. We've gotten into a routine of running on the treadmill early in the morning and working out at night.

I keep reading that the gyms on Emerald Princess are very crowded at times, and that the ceiling is too low for people over 6' to use the ellipticals and treadmills. Will there typically be treadmills available in the mornings, and will a 6'2" guy be able to use them? I was also wondering if they have free weights and if the gym is crowded at night. We've gotten used to working out and home and not having to wait on equipment.

The gym opens at 7:00 AM (sometimes if you get lucky a few minutes earlier) and the treadmills fill up immediately. We are early birds so we are always there before 7. By 8:00, everything has thinned out. Lots of free weights available, but can't tell you anything about crowding at night. I would think it would be almost empty during dinner hours or beyond.

A 6'2" guy won't have any problems and BTW, bring your own headphones; single jack, for the treadmill TV.

We returned from a ten nighter on the Emerald in April. I only use the gymn for free weights; and, I had no problem. After leaving the gymn, I would enter the Lotus Pool; and, I would then pool walk, or do laps, for about 1 1/2 hours. However, the effective utilization of the Lotus Pool is early in the morning, or on port days.

The ceiling is (feels?) a little low, but it's fine for someone at your height.

And, yes, going to the gym when it first opens is very popular. My husband usually runs at night, which is definitely less crowded. I haven't paid attention the last few times but it seems like when he used to run in the a.m., there were sign-ups for the treadmills for the popular times of day. Is that no longer the case?

The ceiling is (feels?) a little low, but it's fine for someone at your height.

And, yes, going to the gym when it first opens is very popular. My husband usually runs at night, which is definitely less crowded. I haven't paid attention the last few times but it seems like when he used to run in the a.m., there were sign-ups for the treadmills for the popular times of day. Is that no longer the case?

I haven't seen a signup on any ship for quite some time. However, there are signs that ask you do stay no more than 20 or 30 minutes (depends on the ship) during busy hours.

I did a 10 dayer in April and used the gym every day...

I'd go around 11:00 or so (let the DW fry in the sun, then rejoin her later). At that time I never had a problem getting a machine. On a few days I shared the gym with only a couple of others.

I loved the elliptical machines (as others had stated bring your headsets). The freeweights (dumbells) were in a separate area as you walked into the gym, all were in good shape, clean and organized well. There were a couple of benches and a curl bar too.

I'm 6' and the ceiling did feel low, but I don't recall touching, even on the ellipticals. The machines were in great shape..

I'd shower in the spa shower, then find the DW in the sun

Enjoy your cruise...

The ceilings aren't like landgyms but unless you are a NBA center type guy you shouldn't be hitting you head.

They had free dumbells but no heavy free weights for bench/squat. If memory serves me right they had those on machines. Makes sense as I'd hate to be pushing two plates+ and have the ship lean a little to the left or right :eek:

Like all gyms go during popular times and it can be crowded. As others noted the crowds quickly often fall off after the first few days. On our European cruise the gym was pretty lightly subscribed.

The gym actually opens very early (thinking 6:00 AM) but some of the equipment is restricted until after 8:00. I'd typically show up at 6:30 and do an hour or so on the elliptical, then a few quick laps around the deck then on to some of the weight machines (OK, just so I can have a second dessert).

The ceiling is low but you will be OK, just freaks you out a bit.

Can't speak to how crowded it is during the day, but at 6:30-7:00 it's pretty wide open.

I am 6'4" or 6'5" and could not use the equipment. I think that Princess is in general lacking in the fitness department.

The gym actually opens very early (thinking 6:00 AM) but some of the equipment is restricted until after 8:00. I'd typically show up at 6:30 and do an hour or so on the elliptical, then a few quick laps around the deck then on to some of the weight machines (OK, just so I can have a second dessert).

The ceiling is low but you will be OK, just freaks you out a bit.

Can't speak to how crowded it is during the day, but at 6:30-7:00 it's pretty wide open.

If you got into the gym at 6:30 consider yourself extremely fortunate. No way do they open that early, and certainly not at 6:00. We are up there waiting at a usually locked door every single morning, no matter which ship we're on. As for treadmill restrictions, I've heard about it but have never experienced one.

I spent ten days on her in March, I was all over the ship throughout the day (every day) taking pics of sunrises and sets, found every nook and cranny, even spent some time on top of the bridge wings, and walked around the outside of the gym on numerous occasions, BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME I COULD NOT FIND THE DOOR TO GET IN!!!:o

No biggie as I lost weight over the course of the cruise when I was expecting to gain about ten pounds.

Jim

I spent ten days on her in March, I was all over the ship throughout the day (every day) taking pics of sunrises and sets, found every nook and cranny, even spent some time on top of the bridge wings, and walked around the outside of the gym on numerous occasions, BUT FOR THE LIFE OF ME I COULD NOT FIND THE DOOR TO GET IN!!!:o

No biggie as I lost weight over the course of the cruise when I was expecting to gain about ten pounds.

Jim

Wow! I guess you never thought to ask someone.

Thanks all for the great advice. Sounds like the cardio equipment might be busy in the mornings, but no problems with equipment being available at other times. I typically run around 6 am, looks like that isn't going to happen on the cruise.

The ceiling/height question was because I've seen so many references to it in picture captions and posts. I saw one pic a lady posted of her husband (who she said was 6'1"), walking away from the ellipticals with his hands in the air because his head was bumping the ceiling. The ceiling does look very low in that area in pics.

Chipmaster, very good point on the free weights :D

Just wasn't that important, I didn't need to use the gym with all of the other exercise I was getting.:p

Jim

Are you talking about chewing or actually swallowing? That could be considered exercise. ;)

Jim

-------------

Ya gotta go through the SPA entrance to get to the gym. Unforturnately the gym closes at 10 pm (it did in April 2009). I ended up walking around deck 16 for about an hour or so several nights, just to work off some supper.

Archived