4-5 day fjord cruise

Hi fellow travelers,

My husband and I are considering our first cruise and I would love to see the fjords in Norway. Are there any cruiselines you would recommend for a 30-something couple without children?

thank you,

rimoxie

Fjord Tours - Individual Cruises & Round Trips

They offer you an extensive menu of Amazing Fjord Tours & Individual Roundtrips in Norway- with scenic Fjords Cruises & stays in Fjord villages, spectacular Train travel, Waterfalls and picturesque Coastal towns.

Try the extensive "Grand Tour of the Fjords" including the main fjords of Norway or the short "Magic Sognefjord Cruise & the Flam Railway", the Norway in a Nutshell package, or a roundtrip combining the Fjords & the spectacular Arctic Norway like the "Lofoten Islands & the Sognefjord" or the "the Land of the Midnight Sun & the Fjords"

http://www.fjordtravel.no/

There aren't very many options at all for such a short cruise in the fjords, because very few ships are home-ported in Norway, and it's at least a day to get there from a major port to the south. Most sailings are a bit longer, so that you can visit a few more places along the coast.

One exception to this is the Hurtigruten, but I wouldn't recommend it as a first cruise, since it's not actually a cruise at all. It's the coastal ferry that calls all along the coastline, since it can be difficult to drive long distances. While you can book a cabin and a meal plan, and some of the newer Hurtigruten ships have a few cruise-like amenities, they're still predominantly ferry ships, and they call at dozens of ports, stopping only for a few minutes at a time. Even in the largest cities, they're only in port for a few hours. So you don't have a chance to see much of anything except for the scenery passing by from the ship (which is admittedly lovely).

Royal Caribbean does have a few shorter sailings late in the season this year. They sail from Copenhagen with 2 days at sea and port calls in Bergen and Geiranger. While there are only two stops, these are two of the highlights of the Norwegian coast, so if you can really only afford to do a short cruise, this might be your best option. However, if you're able to extend your trip to 7 days or more, you'll have a lot more choices. Also, August/September is very late in the season, so the temperatures will be cool, and a lot of the seasonal tourist trade starts to close up in mid-August.

RCCL is a decent cruiseline, though it's definitely one of the more child-friendly lines, and short cruises can mean a lot of families. Based on my experience, since this is one of a series of short cruises from Copenhagen, I imagine they'll be selling it hard to the local market, and with low prices (esp compared to Scandinavia's usual prices) there could be a lot of families. We did a 4-night out of Oslo last week and there were a lot of Norwegian families.

If you can extend your trip, as a childless low-30s couple, for cruiselines, we like Princess a bit better than RCCL because we feel that it's a bit more upscale. I'd be very interested in sailing Celebrity, and I'd like to try Norwegian at some point. I've also heard surprisingly good things about Carnival in Northern Europe, though I'm not sure what they do in the way of Norwegian fjord sailings.

I know it's longer than you inquired about. Don't know if time is the issue or price, but my husband and I are taking a 12 night Celebrity Cruise through the fjords to the Arctic Circle next month. We embark and disembark in Amsterdam. The prices are surprisingly low. The itinerary has us very excited. Would love to have you onboard!

Hi Ships Cat

I've been looking at your photos - they're excellent. We're planning a fjord cruise, and the itineraries available to us mean we have to choose between Olden (with its glacier hiking trip) and Alesund. What would you recommend? We're also visiting Bergen, Stavanger and Geiranger. Any advice is very welcome!

Regards,

Vivienne

Archived