Versailles on our own

eddiep

We are planning to go to Versailles on our own as part of a precruise to Paris.The travel agent tells us tours are available. We thought we would take the metro and the train to Versailles. Anyone have any thoughts

Thx in advance

Eddiep

I would unreservedly recommend you take the RER train to Versailles.

With the flexibility, lower cost and the general philosophy when going independently of seeing what you want in the timescale you decide I can't think of any good reason to take a tour. Especially at Versailles where exploring the grounds of the palace is very much up to an individual's taste in timescale.

You can also check out the web site and go on a tour inside the Palace that meeds your needs rather than the tour companies.

The train station at Versailles is only about 5 minutes walk from the Palace

We are planning to go to Versailles on our own as part of a precruise to Paris.The travel agent tells us tours are available. We thought we would take the metro and the train to Versailles. Anyone have any thoughts

Thx in advance

Eddiep

We took the train also, and has no problem at all. I still have my receipt from the toilet:D

Agree, it's easy to take the train. Try to get there early, as lines are long.

If you're with a tour, you can bypass the long lines, but tour is expensive, based on the brochures we saw at our hotel.

There were doing some construction to part of the Palace when we were visiting in May/08. Hopefully, that's finished.

When I visited Versailles with my daughter last July we purchased our tickets for the palace at the rail station and I would recommend you do the same.

It really saved time as we didn't have to queue to buy tickets at the palace, and believe me the queue was about an hour long and not all of it indoors so some people were feeling the heat a little!!! :eek:

Kim

I just did a little fast research on Wirral Girlie's suggestion as we did the same thing last summer. Unfortunately this type of tickets are no longer sold. It looks like you can purchase tickets for Versailles online (http://billetterie.chateauversailles.fr/online/Manifestations.aspx).

You can easily purchase an RER ticket at any RER station. To get there you will get on the RER line C in the direction of Versailles-Rive Gauche and you will get off at the last station (Versailles-Rive Gauche). As mentioned above, the walk is then only 10 minutes or so.

I suspect that the tickets are still available. This past Sept, we bought the package at Montparnasse rail station...return RER tickets and entry to Versailles. It was very convenient and we were able avoid the line up and walk right in.

Thx in advance

Eddiep

Buy your tickets in advance I learned the hard way recently and had to wait in an incredibly long line to buy tickets so my only advice is buy the tickets beforehand. If your staying at a hotel the Concierge should be able to arrange the tickets for you.

I think it will depend on when you visit Versailles. We visited Versailles on our own during a land trip in a summer. Though it was relatively easy, the lines were very long. When we were waiting in a long line, a tour group with a private guide passed by. The tour guide knocked at a side door, and the person inside simply opened the door to let the group in! So if you travel during high season, taking a tour may save you time.

I think that the Paris Museum Pass also works for entry, according to their web site. And that is a fabulous deal! You choose how many days you want, and avoid the ticket lines, entering through the "pass" line. It helped me not feel bad about spending only 30 minutes or an hour somewhere when I had limited time. There are several "near Paris" locales listed.

I think that the Paris Museum Pass also works for entry, according to their web site. And that is a fabulous deal! You choose how many days you want, and avoid the ticket lines, entering through the "pass" line. It helped me not feel bad about spending only 30 minutes or an hour somewhere when I had limited time. There are several "near Paris" locales listed.

I used the Pass frequently while in Paris for a seven night stay. It was worth the money just being able to bypass ticket queues.

Archived