best travel purse?

Kipling bags are ideal but they are expensive. Look for the cheaper versions (without the monkey). I've got an Oakley, very lightweight with a number of zippy pockets. I always make sure there are zips and use bags only if they'll go across the body.

A few people on this thread have mentioned Travelon bags. I've never heard of this brand but I was at TJ Maxx today and was looking in the wallet/cosmetic bag area and I found a Travelon bag that I thought would be perfect for shore excursions. It's listed on the QVC website for $29.25 but I paid $7.99. Gotta love TJ Maxx! I wasn't really in the market for a new shore excursion bag but for $7.99 I couldn't pass it up. Here is the link from QVC:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/view.2/app.detail/params.item.F02697.desc.Travelon-Crinkle-Nylon-Expandable-Hipster-Shoulder-Bag

It looks quite big and bulky in the pictures but it really isn't. So if anyone is still looking for a good shore excursion/travel bag it might be worth it to check your local TJ Maxx!

As other posters said, keep most of your money and any valuables secured (not in a purse but in a money belt or neck pouch).

Le Sport Sac would probably be a good choice. I have seen a lot of them recently while traveling, both on locals (especially in Japan) and fellow travelers.

Add me to the club that does not like the PacSafe products. They just don't work for me and don't fit my style.

I have a Coach black canvas bag that has a strap allowing you to wear it on the shoulder or across the chest, whichever you prefer. It's good a good amount of space inside and several pockets to keep things organized, so it has been my travel purse of choice for the last year.

I have an old LeSportsac--believe it or not, from 7th grade! It's held up well over the years and is my 'go to' bag for ball games, etc. I saw a few LeSportsacs in Japan, too, when we were just there.

But when I travel in Europe, I HAVE to have a somewhat fashionable bag. So I opt for a cheap Le Pliage from Longchamp--waterproof, zip up top, holds a lot. We have a D-SLr camera and we need a bigger bag to hold that. I love Le Pliage--folds up flat, light, and fits in your luggage. In case you're interested in a larger bag, the Le Pliage bag comes in a few sizes, too, and you can custom order colors, monogramming, and embossing. Not too cheap but very cute. I see them all over the place in France.

I second the Longchamp Le Pliage bags. Very hard-wearing, roomy, cute (and available in lots of colors), full zip and they fold up for easy packing. I have a few of them, brought a medium-sized one with me on my last cruise. Was very useful...fit everything I needed it too with room left over. I actually ended up buying a larger one (good for taking to work) during the cruise at the duty free Longchamp outlet in Antigua.

This is my favourite bag ever. It's from Mountain Equipment Co-op and I believe it does ship outside of Canada. There are two sizes I have both and use them ALL the time (the small one is a perfect travel bag) - it costs less than $20 too! Great deal!

4009377s_v1_m56577569830727377.jpg

http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_detail.jsp?PRODUCT%3C%3Eprd_id=845524441774985&FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302699955&bmUID=1245371744664

I always carrying a LeSportsac when I travel. I prefer the purse size that has 3 outside pockets, 2 compartments, 2 pockets inside and expands. I have two right now (I've had a total of six of that style over the last 20 years), one leopard print and the other the colored Swiss hearts on black. I love these bags because they weigh nothing and hold a ton. And, they are easy to clean. I also take a LeSportsac tote in my suitcase for day and shore trips to carry water, snacks, camera, etc.

All that said, on board a ship, I usually put just the essentials in a very small Sak bag to carry around the ship. I don't like having to carry my big purse. The wallet and passport go in the room safe. At home I generally carry much heavier leather bags most of the time. But, they are too heavy for traveling, plus they are expensive and I don't want to attract attention.

bear in mind a purse in the UK is a small thing for putting coins and notes in. What you will be using is a bag or handbag. I know we are a peculier lot here.

If you say you have mislaid your purse everybody will be looking for a tiny thing.

Here in the Soutnern US you will hear the bag or handbag called a "pocketbook". What you refer to as a purse we call a "coin purse". Lots of folks say we are a peculiar lot too.:)

Archived