How early can you check luggage?

gargoyle999

As noted it does vary by airport and airline. So, call your airline to find out if you can't find specifics on their web page.

In a few instances where we were staying at a hotel near an airport in an international location we were able to check in our luggage the day before. Most recently, in Hong Kong on Cathay Pacific.

Keith

It would help if you mentioned your airline and airport. Anytime I've checked the rule was no more then 4 hours. Airlines don't want to be storing luggage.

We're starting to see more remote check in locations. They will typically accept luggage 12 hours before your flight. We're starting to see these desks in cruise ports (including Fort Lauderdale), hotels (including hotels in Disney and Vegas) and some convention centers (including Vegas).

Ok thanks for the info. Sounds like 4 hours is a general rule. It will be in Honolulu. Possibly Alaska Airlines but I haven't bought the tickets yet. It's for our cruise next April.

I'd like the get a late flight out around 9pm so we can enjoy an extra day in Honolulu. Would prefer not to have a car full of luggage while we are sightseeing but if that's what we have to do then that's what we have to do. :)

I'd like the get a late flight out around 9pm so we can enjoy an extra day in Honolulu. Would prefer not to have a car full of luggage while we are sightseeing but if that's what we have to do then that's what we have to do.

You might want to keep in mind that there is a non-stop from HNL to MSP that leaves around 5:15pm arriving in Minni around 6am. Otherwise, you're connecting somewhere in the west coast for the later flights and then taking an early morning flight to the midwest. That non-stop is operated on an A330, which is a much nicer aircraft for a long-haul across the Pacific than a 757 or 737, IMO.

When taking that long of a flight (almost 8 hours and almost 4000 miles), the comfort factor of an aircraft can be quite important.

Ok thanks for the info. Sounds like 4 hours is a general rule. It will be in Honolulu. Possibly Alaska Airlines but I haven't bought the tickets yet. It's for our cruise next April.

I'd like the get a late flight out around 9pm so we can enjoy an extra day in Honolulu. Would prefer not to have a car full of luggage while we are sightseeing but if that's what we have to do then that's what we have to do. :)

Have you considered Pricelining an airport hotel? You could drop your luggage off in your room. You will certainly need a shower after running around in Honolulu all day; a shower and some fresh clothes would sure make the flight more comfortable.

You might want to keep in mind that there is a non-stop from HNL to MSP that leaves around 5:15pm arriving in Minni around 6am. Otherwise, you're connecting somewhere in the west coast for the later flights and then taking an early morning flight to the midwest. That non-stop is operated on an A330, which is a much nicer aircraft for a long-haul across the Pacific than a 757 or 737, IMO.

When taking that long of a flight (almost 8 hours and almost 4000 miles), the comfort factor of an aircraft can be quite important.

I would love to take the non stop but that will be a bit more than I want to pay ($1,007 for economy). I am considering Alaska Airlines that has first class for $850 right now. That would make the long flight more bearable I think (plus the cruise to Hawaii is for our 40th BD's next year...so might splurge a bit). Unfortunately, price is an object for me. :)

Have you considered Pricelining an airport hotel?

You know I hadn't! But that is a good suggestion! Just try for something cheap near the airport...and you're right. We will want to clean up before being on a plane for so long.

Archived