Other than tipping...what are some things to do for cruise employees??

praisefor3

Treat them with respect

Mention them in the comment card if they go out of their way for you...a favourable review goes a long way.

Cash of course is always appreciated ;)

Lyn

Agreed on all counts!!!!

How often have we seen others speak down to cruise ship employees? They are human beings!

My SO has been a crew member for over 15 years, first with Celebrity and now with Crystal for the past 9+ years. I can tell you without hesitation that money, #1, and mentioning their name on the comment cards, #2, are the gifts they much prefer. It isn't that they don't appreciate other gifts, they just appreciate (and need) the money, appreciation and recognition more. Celebrity and Crystal, and probably the other lines as well, really pay close attention to what guests write on their comment cards and it is almost like a competition among the crew in their respective departments to see whose name is mentioned most often.

However, if you still would like to do something extra, I will give you a couple of ideas. Every night on most every cruise ship, all of the assistant maitre d's/dining captains/head waiters have dinner together in the dining room after all of the guests have finished eating. They usually take turns buying a bottle of wine for the table. So a nice bottle of wine for the entire group would be a lovely gesture..... not the private label kind you get in your cabin (they can purchase that for next to nothing), but something decent. The same.... a nice bottle of wine or champagne..... would be a nice gift for the Restaurant Manager/Maitre d', your waiter, assistant waiter or steward(ess). That is something they can enjoy either alone or with their SO or friends. The only problem with that is that anything you might purchase onboard, they can buy at a significant discount from what you would have to pay. Of course this does somewhat depend on their nationality. Almost all Europeans and South Americans really enjoy wine and champagne but some other nationalities do not drink at all, so this should also be taken into consideration.

A few other things my SO has received that he has really used, enjoyed and appreciated have been a small travel alarm clock, some really nice leather luggage tags, and a small handsome pocket knife that has his initials engraved on it. He received these gifts years ago and still uses all of them.

There are two things that are EXTREMELY important to every crew member I know while they are onboard: phone cards and internet service. They can purchase phone cards cheaper than you can because the cruise lines make deals to buy them in bulk so they can provide them to their crew at very reasonable rates, so, again, money will help them accomplish this. Internet service is not cheap for crew members, so, again, money.

My SO gets gifts all the time..... everything from small souvenirs when guests go on excursions in various cities, to neckties, dress shirts, Christmas socks, pens, tee shirts from the guests' home towns, chocolates, specialty teas..... you name it! And while the gestures and the thoughts are genuinely appreciated, so much of it ends up either being given or thrown away for various reasons.

Twice I have purchased items for him myself that I thought he could use onboard that were fairly expensive gifts, but he quickly lost both of them. One was a Mont Blanc ballpoint pen because he constantly uses a pen in his work and I wanted him to have a nice one when he received a well-deserved promotion, and the other was a lovely lighter (instead of the 99-cent Bic) to use when he lights the candles on the MANY guests' birthday and anniversary cakes each cruise. What a waste of money those gifts were!

There is one couple from Hawaii who are frequent and favorite guests onboard who always do something fun for all of the head waiters and the specific pair of waiters they request each time they cruise. They always bring colorful tee shirts from Hawaii for each of them, and then one day at lunch, they all put them on over their uniform and the couple puts on similar tee shirts and they all pose for a photo together. This fun celebration has been going on for years and they all love it...... and we end up with lots of great Hawaiian tee shirts!

I hope this information will help you. Your question and intentions are extremely thoughtful and considerate.

Peggy

What a great post. Thanks so much, Peggy. Really helpful.

As the wife of a man who goes to sea, you should be thanked for 'sharing' him with us. :) Re-Pat and homecomings must be great!

Thanks for what you do. :)

IMO, you hospital nurses NEVER get enough thanks.

Stewards/bar staff etc on ships want cash. They don't want a mug, a keychain, a t-shirt or cap from your hometown. They don't want food you will select for them. With cash, they can buy whatever they want or need.

A good word on the comment sheets will always mean more to them than another cap or mug.... as will your courtesy and respect.

Thank you! I love my job a lot and all of my patients are welcome to throw up on me anytime. It really doesn't bother me at all :)

Right. They voluntarily do the jobs for whatever reasons apply to their situations. I appreciate their hard work and reward it with kindness, respect and TIPS.

Maybe not but consider this - average monthly wage in peru $150 for even someone with abusiness degree and who has taught themselves 4 other languages in order to better themselves. Can earn more than 10 times on that per month on a cruise. however they have to pay between $1000-1500 up front to agents etc and for visas (so basically 0 months salary). they also have to pay for their uniforms. When they get their contract, they can work 12 or 14 hor days, 7 days per week for 6 or 9 weeks. they are frequently treated like a lower life form by both passengers and senior crew from the Western World. They have to share a cabin with a perfect stranger and if they don't get on, well that's just tough. If passengers complain about them or they become so homesick that they can't face finishing their contract, then they are off the ship having to pay their own airfare home. Do the majority of them do this for all the extras that we in the Western Capitalist countries and can afford to cruise take as our "right"? No, the vast majority are to help their families have a better life. Substitute peru for any country in other country in the developingor third world and it it is pretty much the same story. Also ask yourself this, if our cruise lines where exclusively staffed by crew from the Us, EEC and Australasia, how much more expensive would the cruises we so enjoy be?

They may not be slaves, but it is lack of opportunity in their own countries that drives these people to work years apart from their families so that younger siblings or children can have a high scholl education or parents can have medical treatment. Do i feel sorry for them? Absolutely not. i admire the sacrifices they are prepared to amke to try to have better opportunities for themselves and their families. I certainly could not imagine working the hours they do having to put up with the rudeness and lack of respect on almost a daily basis.

Maybe not but consider this - average monthly wage in peru $150 for even someone with abusiness degree and who has taught themselves 4 other languages in order to better themselves. Can earn more than 10 times on that per month on a cruise. however they have to pay between $1000-1500 up front to agents etc and for visas (so basically 0 months salary). they also have to pay for their uniforms. When they get their contract, they can work 12 or 14 hor days, 7 days per week for 6 or 9 weeks. they are frequently treated like a lower life form by both passengers and senior crew from the Western World. They have to share a cabin with a perfect stranger and if they don't get on, well that's just tough. If passengers complain about them or they become so homesick that they can't face finishing their contract, then they are off the ship having to pay their own airfare home. Do the majority of them do this for all the extras that we in the Western Capitalist countries and can afford to cruise take as our "right"? No, the vast majority are to help their families have a better life. Substitute peru for any country in other country in the developingor third world and it it is pretty much the same story. Also ask yourself this, if our cruise lines where exclusively staffed by crew from the Us, EEC and Australasia, how much more expensive would the cruises we so enjoy be?

They may not be slaves, but it is lack of opportunity in their own countries that drives these people to work years apart from their families so that younger siblings or children can have a high scholl education or parents can have medical treatment. Do i feel sorry for them? Absolutely not. i admire the sacrifices they are prepared to amke to try to have better opportunities for themselves and their families. I certainly could not imagine working the hours they do having to put up with the rudeness and lack of respect on almost a daily basis.

Very well said. My father taught me many years ago to respect everyone I met until they gave me cause to disrespect them. There is a thread in this category that has a lot of that, people who are boorish both to crew and other pax.

My BW is from Peru and will speak Spanish to those whose 1st language is Spanish, but swith to English when I am included in the conversation. Staff have given us great tips about ports from time to time because we treat them as hard-working people who know their job. We expect good service from employees, on ship as well as restaurants and hotels at home and usually get it.

Cruising gives me more to be thankful for; I use a cane sometimes, on ships I see people with walkers and in wheelchairs; I would not like to clean our bathroom twice a day; I am not strong enough to carry all that lugage people bring onboard and have to carry off a few days later.

The biggest smiles we have received from staff is after telling them I wrote on the comment sheet that I thought their work was of a caliber to promote them to the next highest job.:)

Yes, thank you very much, Peggy. That was the direction, from someone who knows, that I was hoping for. I sure never imagined this would become an "entitlement" thread about who should be thanked and how unappreciated people feel. If this was a nurses board I'm sure I would be asking about ways to show appreciation to nurses but this is a cruise board and I simply was looking for input on cruise workers. Your response (and some others) was very helpful.

Thank you! I love my job a lot and all of my patients are welcome to throw up on me anytime. It really doesn't bother me at all :)

LOL... you got a "calling" I take it? Cause no nurse *I* know likes to be hurled on..... LOL LOL LOL

We were on a b2b with Acapulco as the turnaround port. Our cabin stewrd was from there so this was his one chance during months on the ship to see his family. We got neighbors in 5 other cabin to join us in banning our cabin steward from our cabins that day. This got him thru earlier and off the ship to see his family & friends.

That is so nice, I imagine he really appreciated that gesture!!:)

Yep, I wonder how many people even leave a couple bucks on the desk in the hotel they stayed at the night before their cruise but look for all sorts of ways to put the ship staff on a pedestal.

Hi Dan, I always have tipped in hotels, not because I had to, but because I wanted to.

I have usually had good to wonderful service and I believe, as has been mentioned here, it is because I treat people the same as I would like to be treat, with respect, kindness and courtesy.

I always leave a tip on the bedside table for housekeeping staff as I check out, to be honest I thought this was the norm ??

Oh only once I didnt, a rather lovely silk embroidered negligee set vanished from my suite, I was informed it had probably been taken to the laundry by mistake :eek: and the hotel promised to find it and forward.

Never arrived and heard no more about it sadly.

Yep, I wonder how many people even leave a couple bucks on the desk in the hotel they stayed at the night before their cruise but look for all sorts of ways to put the ship staff on a pedestal.

I don't have any idea how many do, but I leave a couple of bucks every single night that I am in a hotel.

In hotels in three different countries, very low wage countries, I have found the tip still sitting there when I come back from a day's work. I have to assume the staff are terrified of being accused of stealing and being fired. So you may have to leave a note of thanks or give it to them personally. Never had any such problems in New York or Chicago!

Envelopes for Housekeeping can be found in most Welcome Books in any hotel room. Sometimes these can be found on the desktop or in the top drawer, but are seldom not there. The recommended tipping amount is $2 pp/pd and should be left on the desk in the specified envelope. If you do not put it in the envelope they do not know it is intended for them. As general rules go, they cannot clean your room while you are occupying it, nor are they allowed to touch any personal belongings. I only know this because I had an extended family member who worked in the industry. Keep in mind, most housekeeping staff have similar low wages comparable to those of cabin stewards on cruise ships.

I was recently in New Orleans and the hotel's Welcome Book had a fabulous hard copy of the history of New Orleans inside. I told them I really liked it and asked if I could have a copy. Although the hotel frowns upon this (why I don't know but it made me a happy customer and I will return to this hotel next visit as a result) the person asked their manager and I was allowed to take it as a souvenir. I tipped our room attendant very nicely as a result.

As far as doing anything additional onboard, I leave the auto tips on and IF someone does something that warrants anything addt'l, I will tip appropriately. But the best addt'l reward is completing the comment card.

There is one other thing I thought about today that I did not include in my very long post earlier this week.

Olympic Tee Shirts!!! All crew absolutely go crazy over Olympic tee shirts but only if they have mention of their country or their country's flag somewhere on the shirt, even if other countries' flags are on the shirt too. I first learned about this back in 1996 when I lived in Atlanta during the Olympics that were held there.

So if any of you live in Vancouver or if you are planning to go to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver in 2010, that would be a really special and much appreciated gift for your favorite crew member(s)..... both for men and women.

We agree with #1 giving respect ,using their name all the time, leaving pre-paid tips as well as cash, thanking them personally for their attention and in our case we pack Vermont Maple syrup in our baggage and hand them some pure sweetness. Last cruise my daughter handed the Captain a container as well as maple candies and he was impressed as well as making my daughter's day.

LOL... you got a "calling" I take it? Cause no nurse *I* know likes to be hurled on..... LOL LOL LOL

Let's just say I've gotten used to it. I can deal with most body fluids and excretions (even poo). I cannot deal with mucous-it literally makes me gag. I hope I didn't spoil anyones dinner :o

Let's just say I've gotten used to it. I can deal with most body fluids and excretions (even poo). I cannot deal with mucous-it literally makes me gag. I hope I didn't spoil anyones dinner :o

Thanks for the information. But what does this have to do with taking care of the crew?

Thanks for the information. But what does this have to do with taking care of the crew?

Nothing really. On its own and taken out of the context of the whole thread it has nothing to do with the crew. However, the original comment of this poster did relate to the subject at hand which then, because of comments by other posters, segwayed into what now seemingly has no relevance.

When we have had exceptional service from a crew member, we make note of it on the comment card. We've also written a couple of times to cruise lines complimenting their staff and singling out the people who were the most friendly and helpful. The funny thing is, when we have written, we have gotten back postcards telling us they are looking into the "problem" and will contact us at a later date :rolleyes:

Ane yes, we always leave a tip for the housekeepers when we stay at a hotel.

We were on a b2b with Acapulco as the turnaround port. Our cabin stewrd was from there so this was his one chance during months on the ship to see his family. We got neighbors in 5 other cabin to join us in banning our cabin steward from our cabins that day. This got him thru earlier and off the ship to see his family & friends.

I was going to say that I can't imagine anything better than cash & the comment card... and then I saw this post. That is wonderful! :)

Obviously tipping is probably the most appreciated gesture; however...are there other things (in addition to tipping, not in lieu of) that you can do for cruise employees that they would appreciate? I read somewhere about ordering a dessert for them...but when I mentioned it to our waiter, it didn't seem like this was done. Any suggestions???

Not just on cruises, but on all of our family vacations, we like to show the people who take care of us that they are appreciated, job or not. I enjoy putting a smile on someones face when we leave tips made out of oragami. I shape the bills, into butterflies, shirts, bows, frames, ect. before we leave home and give a tip in a creative way that shows we appreciate them on a different level. I just like to do it, it's fun, and the staff are always tickled that we took the time to say thanks.

On one cruise we had the best cabin attendant ever, she was wonderful so not only did we give her double the tip (which she actually tried to give some of it back because she felt it was too much, of course we wouldn't let her) we also sent her flowers and a birthday cake on her birthday which was one day during the cruise. She was so excited and told us in the 9 years she has worked for the cruise line, no passenger had ever done anything for her birthday.

She had also told us that she had a bachelors degree in biology but in Romania there were no jobs available in her field and the cruise ship job paid more than any job she could have gotten there and she sends whatever money she can home to her family.

She was hoping to move up to the guest relations desk some day, so we definitely put in a good word for her on the comment card.

Archived