NCL Liquor rule

Bazzgurl26

So I know NCL has the No bringing any Hard Liquor aboard the ship, However... Do they really check your luggage? If I were to get some of the tiny bottles of Hard liquor and hide them in my bag would they check and take them out?? Just curious. I dont mind spending the money to buy drinks but sometimes they get wicked expensive.

They will x-ray your checked and your carry on luggage. They most likely will find those little bottles. If so, they will hold them for you until the last night, when you can go claim them.

There are lost of positive posts here about a product known as "rum runners". Google that to learn more.

However, the drinks are really no more expensive than in a shoreside resort or major metro bar. I personally would never think of smuggling in liqour to a bar.

NCL is unbelievable at how they search and scan bags for booze. That being said I think if you packed those little 2.5oz bottles at the liquor store into the quart size bags used for air travel and went thru with them in your carry on you wouldn't have a problem. They do have a "holding cell" that they will physically call you into say a few hours after your onboard and have you extract the liquor they've found in your bags yourself and tag it and/or dispose of it....a little nutty I know.

NCL is unbelievable at how they search and scan bags for booze. That being said I think if you packed those little 2.5oz bottles at the liquor store into the quart size bags used for air travel and went thru with them in your carry on you wouldn't have a problem. They do have a "holding cell" that they will physically call you into say a few hours after your onboard and have you extract the liquor they've found in your bags yourself and tag it and/or dispose of it....a little nutty I know.

Don't let this one intimidate you... it is not a holding cell!:rolleyes: It is called the naughty room here on cc. All they will do is make you get in line with many others to come open your bag and get the booze out which they give you on the last night. :p Also, more than likely you will not even have to as most get through with no problem (except during spring break)Have a few purchased drinks so they can make their quota and supplement with the rum runners in your room. Have fun!:D

You can bring on wine, cruiseondude, just not hard liquor, which is what the OP is asking about.

Granted NCL has a corkage fee, and other lines don't unless you actually want them to uncork it for you at dinner. But I don't think any of the middle lines allow liquor to be brought on board.

BUT, I don't drink that much and never bring on my own liquor--I'm just going on what I remember from reading on CC.

--Michael

Or you could order a bar set up. They will deliver bottle(s) of your choice to your cabin so you can mix your own. At first glance, they are expensive, but when you consider what you'd spend on the same number of mixed drinks at the bars, it is a huge savings. I am having champagne (for mimosas in the a.m.) and rum (for mixed drinks) delivered to my cabin. Those two items cost me nearly $100 but I'd spend many times that on the same number of drinks.

Quite Frankly, it's a little bizarre that NCL is the ONLY cruiseiine that does this. all others that's I've been on - you could bring 2 bottles of wine each - with no corkage fee - unless you wanted it in the dining room.

I do not like NCL policy, but I think if you check some other message boards, you will find the above statement is not exactly correct. Some may not work as HARD to find stuff, but they are tight about bringing hard booze aboard.

And, do not confuse wine policy with hard booze policy.

Loved bar set up on the Sun. I actually packed a small blender. Frozen cosmos (sort of) for two weeks. Never ran out... Had guests too. Cost was $83. We figured we got 40 drinks out of it. Ran out of time, or could have had even more.

Quite Frankly, it's a little bizarre that NCL is the ONLY cruiseiine that does this. all others that's I've been on - you could bring 2 bottles of wine each - with no corkage fee - unless you wanted it in the dining room.

RCI stopped allowing alcohol of any kind, including wine, a few years ago. They also do not offer bar setups and they no longer allow pax to purchase in the duty free shop and pay an onboard consumption fee. All alcohol purchased onboard or on shore is held until the final morning. RCI has gotten very strict over the past few years and also has a "naughty room" setup on at least some ships. (I don't like it; I'm just reporting it.)

beachchick

By the way, they not only x-ray your carry-on, they x-ray your checked baggage, too. I admit NCL is pretty strict. But, I still save a ton of money using the bar setup.

Also, NCL is not alone. On my first Carnival cruise, I had purchased the individual servings of wine that look like liquor minis. And, they found them in my carry-on. I still got them through, but I had to show them they were wine and not liquor.

So I know NCL has the No bringing any Hard Liquor aboard the ship, However... Do they really check your luggage? If I were to get some of the tiny bottles of Hard liquor and hide them in my bag would they check and take them out?? Just curious. I dont mind spending the money to buy drinks but sometimes they get wicked expensive.

There are two options 1) give up drinking or 2) do the right thing and pay for them.

I think if there was less smuggling of booze, using one soda card for more than one family member maybe the prices would be more reasonable, after they are in business to make money.

We've sailed 5 times on NCL. When we stop at a port, we buy the local beer - usually 2 or 3 six packs to bring home (beer snobs :)). We have never had them confiscated on us. We put the sixes in our backpacks, go through the scanner thingy and have never had a problem. A couple we met on board brought 2 bottles of Segrams in Boston, put it in their backpack and got through also. I know a lot of people who try to bring booze on board at the beginning of the cruise and got their bottles taken away from them, maybe their not as concerned at the ports? Don't get me wrong, we usually have a hefty bar bill at the end of the cruise - the beer really is to take home:rolleyes:.

This statement is not correct. We have travelled on HAL and Celebrity as well as NCL, and all have the same policy on hard liquor. HAL lets you bring wine aboard.

This statement is not correct. We have travelled on HAL and Celebrity as well as NCL, and all have the same policy on hard liquor. HAL lets you bring wine aboard.

Celebrity also allows you to bring on wine for use in your cabin.

I've read Disney allows you to bring your own booze.. I think we all know why that would be, but I'm really happy NCL allows you to bring wine.. as much as you want. Yes, the corkage sucks, but still, you can save a ton of dough when you BYOW.

And the bar setup.. another great option that many CL's don't have. Expensive per bottle.. uh huh.. Much cheaper than a per drink price.. yup.

Not that the drink prices are really awful, but they're much more than if you mixed your own. Plus you get the strength you prefer.

Our last cruise we ordered a bottle of Grey Goose and a bottle of Glenfiddich. Well worth it.

Why doesn't NCL allow you to buy a bar set-up on board or on their website? Why must you go through the trouble of the gobeley gook of going through the ship's coordinator?

The Bar set up is not promoted at all.... I think one needs to find out about it in places like CC. I think that if they did want to make it better known, they would come up with a better process. Once you do find out how to do it, it is very simple. I do wish all ships coordinators had a hard copy price list that could be faxed / e-mailed. When I ordered a set up , I had to ask for what I wanted...they told me that they did not have that...then I asked for something different.....repeat...repeat...until we finally found something that I wanted that they had. That process was sort of a waste of time for both parties, in my opinion.

Just got home from NCL cruise. Lot's of happy hours at different bars with drink prices between $4-$6 each. With ports of call being so busy it's not difficult to bring water onboard with your carry on. Don't bother trying to get bottles through your checked luggage - it'll get caught. I also wouldn't bother spending money on the rum runner set up, there are ways...just think outside the bottle.

Loved bar set up on the Sun. I actually packed a small blender. Frozen cosmos (sort of) for two weeks. Never ran out... Had guests too. Cost was $83. We figured we got 40 drinks out of it. Ran out of time, or could have had even more.

40 drinks? Did you get a 60 oz bottle for $83 dollars? If so,that does sound like a good deal.

• 2 weeks later...
I've read Disney allows you to bring your own booze.. I think we all know why that would be,

I don't know why that would be. Please tell me. I've been on 3 Disney Cruises, have one coming up in October and have never been on any other cruise line.

You can bring on wine, cruiseondude, just not hard liquor, which is what the OP is asking about.

Granted NCL has a corkage fee, and other lines don't unless you actually want them to uncork it for you at dinner. But I don't think any of the middle lines allow liquor to be brought on board.

BUT, I don't drink that much and never bring on my own liquor--I'm just going on what I remember from reading on CC.

--Michael

Believe it or not, Disney does allow alcohol to be brought on board....they probably figure it's the only way the adults could survive a week on a cruise with ALL THOSE KIDS! :eek: :D

Also, I just heard recently that Holland is very liberal with their alcohol policy.

Carnival allows wine/champagne...I think now limited to 1-2bottles/pp

Cunard also gave us no problem taking on champagne.

Last time we sailed Royal Caribbean with our family in three cabins...we probably brought on 2-3 bottles per cabin. Just packed in our luggage and checked it through...no problem.

We drink mostly wine and champagne, so we just bring that on when we sail NCL and pay the corkage.

Archived