NCL Liquor rule

Bazzgurl26

Any reason filling an opaque shampoo bottle with liquor wouldn't pass inspection? Like, a Suave bottle or something?

Don't bite my head off. I haven't even been on a cruise before. I'm just browsing the boards thinking about the possibility and saw this thread.

Do yourself a favor and just buy the drinks - unless you have a drinking problem your bar bill won't be that outrageous - why take a chance?

makes plenty of sence i never said wine... i said booze/liquer. exp. mixed drinks

No...you still don't get it. If they won't give you liquor/booze/mixed drinks to begin with, you have nothing to trade with your dad. I think you'll be drinking beer along with him..;):D

im sorry but this is very simple and idk how you are confused. I order the beer 18-20 (dad Signs) dad also drinks beer, i want mixed... he orders mixed i order beer.

We're not confused, dear... We're subtly attempting (unsuccessfully) to point out how your post (#73) doesn't convey what you're "trying" to say. We (at least I) don't really care how you want to drink "liquer" against NCL's policy.

Hopefully the cruise line staff won't be reading these boards and looking for a 19 year old with a mixed drink in his hand.. Don't get paranoid, it only happens once in awhile.

But consider yourself forwarned.. You will be left at the next port and required to pay for your way home.;) Take your passport and enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
im sorry but this is very simple and idk how you are confused. I order the beer 18-20 (dad Signs) dad also drinks beer, i want mixed... he orders mixed i order beer.

Sounds like you are on your way to developing a fine lifestyle.

We're not confused, dear... We're subtly attempting (unsuccessfully) to point out how your post (#73) doesn't convey what you're "trying" to say. We (at least I) don't really care how you want to drink "liquer" against NCL's policy.

Hopefully the cruise line staff won't be reading these boards and looking for a 19 year old with a mixed drink in his hand.. Don't get paranoid, it only happens once in awhile.

But consider yourself forwarned.. You will be left at the next port and required to pay for your way home.;) Take your passport and enjoy your cruise.

Do ya think he will pay any attention to you? You are right, it is against the ships policy, it is wrong, rules are applied for a reason, but when someone wants to bring them, they think they have a right..Isn't that the American way right now? The laws are made for others, don't make me abide by them..Sorry, now I will get off my high horse and be a good girl..

Nita

Quite Frankly, it's a little bizarre that NCL is the ONLY cruiseiine that does this. all others that's I've been on - you could bring 2 bottles of wine each - with no corkage fee - unless you wanted it in the dining room.

Carnival allowed only one bottle of wine per person that was 18 or over. No hard liquor. RCCL is even stricter, they will actually dispose of your smuggled hooch, at least NCL will hold it for you until the end of your cruise.

I've used rum runners succesfully and swear by them.

• 6 months later...

About the bar set-up. Maybe if you are in suite you can get a bar set-up. We were in a mini-suite (small room and non of the perks that a suite has) and we were told that if we wanted a bottle of vodka, gin, or any other had liquor, we would have to pay what the ship charges for an ounce of the liqour times the number of ounces in the bottle. A bottle of low grade vodka was $110. They also don't seem to have the personal reps for each ships that could make arrangements for the in room bar set-ups like they used to.

I am new to this so don't bite ...

I am interested in what everyone has to say about this issue but surely isn't smuggling a crime. Also if the CL's including NCL know that it goes on isn't that why the onboard bar prices are high. Therefore doesn't it make sense that if everyone was to stop breaking the rules there would be no need for the implementation of such strict rules which i would have though would lead to cheaper prices onboard.

I mean, if they are not selling it beacuse people are brining on cheap booze from home/port then surely in order to cover their costs won't they have to charge more.

OR am I stupid by abiding by the rules and regulations.

On the other hand, I wouldn't even consider going out to a bar at home for a drink with freinds and take my own alcohol.

:eek:

The prices are somewhat high, but not terribly high. Bought beer at a ballpark or theatre lately?

That is really besides the point. They charge what they can get away with. Smuggling is a small portion of people. And some that do smuggle, also have a high bar tab as well. They just want to have a few drinks in their cabin, which can not be compared to the bar or restaurant onboard. And a few do take their drinks to the pool or bars. But very few I am thinking.

You might get bitten here, as this discussion goes on constantly. Has been for years and the same old arguments keep coming forth. Let me sum up a few.

* If you can not afford to pay for drinks, you should stay home.

* I would never take a drink to my restaurant at home

* The prices on the ship are so high, they are almost illegal

* If they charged less, people would not smuggle

* If you bring your own, you are cheating the cruiseline out of their profit

* You drink too much and should stop

* I should be able to bring any damn thing I want, I paid so much for the cruise already

* They are too busy nickel and diming us to death

* They should offer an all inclusive price

* Drinking is why people "fall" off ships

* I don't drink and don't care

and the list goes on and on

The prices are somewhat high, but not terribly high. Bought beer at a ballpark or theatre lately?

That is really besides the point. They charge what they can get away with. Smuggling is a small portion of people. And some that do smuggle, also have a high bar tab as well. They just want to have a few drinks in their cabin, which can not be compared to the bar or restaurant onboard. And a few do take their drinks to the pool or bars. But very few I am thinking.

You might get bitten here, as this discussion goes on constantly. Has been for years and the same old arguments keep coming forth. Let me sum up a few.

* If you can not afford to pay for drinks, you should stay home.

* I would never take a drink to my restaurant at home

* The prices on the ship are so high, they are almost illegal

* If they charged less, people would not smuggle

* If you bring your own, you are cheating the cruiseline out of their profit

* You drink too much and should stop

* I should be able to bring any damn thing I want, I paid so much for the cruise already

* They are too busy nickel and diming us to death

* They should offer an all inclusive price

* Drinking is why people "fall" off ships

* I don't drink and don't care

and the list goes on and on

Beautifully put... anyone care to add any?

David

. Therefore doesn't it make sense that if everyone was to stop breaking the rules there would be no need for the implementation of such strict rules

Please don't wish that on the world !!!! Imagine what would happen if everyone stopped breaking the rules. Thousands of policemen out of work. Thousands of lawyers out of work. The courts would have to shut down. There would be no need for security anywhere. More thousands of people out of work. The list can go on and on !!!!!! :D:D

About the bar set-up. Maybe if you are in suite you can get a bar set-up. We were in a mini-suite (small room and non of the perks that a suite has) and we were told that if we wanted a bottle of vodka, gin, or any other had liquor, we would have to pay what the ship charges for an ounce of the liqour times the number of ounces in the bottle. A bottle of low grade vodka was $110. They also don't seem to have the personal reps for each ships that could make arrangements for the in room bar set-ups like they used to.

Glad you cleared that up, we have been waiting for the last 6 months.

Last year while packing for our cruise, I asked my son to grab the small bottle of downey wrinkle release and put it in my bag; I didn't realize until we got on the ship and our luggage was delivered that he put the full size bottle and not the small refillable bottle in my bag. :)

The first thing I noticed was the CONCEALED ITEM sticker on top of the bag, well imagine my surprise when I opened my bag and there was another sticker on the bottle of downey. So someone did open my bag and look in it, because they put the sticker on it. Thank goodness it was actually wrinkle release and not something else.

Weird... we are sailing on the Sky next weekend in a regular balcony cabin and ordered the bar setup no problem. I emailed the group event coordinator for the sky... got a reply the next day... and voila! Got my confirmation and we're all set.

You obviously didn't order the bar set up ahead of time ANY cabin category can get it but it has to be ordered before (week or two) before boarding. I have been on NCL since 1997 and have never seen a rep that can do this onboard.

. . NCL allows you to bring wine.. as much as you want.

I asked a rep at NCL how much was allowed and she answered "How big is your suitcase" :D

She also admitted that charging corkage in your cabin was not doable in reality.

I asked a rep at NCL how much was allowed and she answered "How big is your suitcase" :D

She also admitted that charging corkage in your cabin was not doable in reality.

How big is your suitcase.. LOL

Technically, they don't call it a "corkage fee."

Well, what you originally said was that your Dad switches his beer for your booze but evidently what you're trying to say is the opposite -- that your Dad trades his booze for your beer.

I am interested in what everyone has to say about this issue but surely isn't smuggling a crime. Also if the CL's including NCL know that it goes on isn't that why the onboard bar prices are high. Therefore doesn't it make sense that if everyone was to stop breaking the rules there would be no need for the implementation of such strict rules which i would have though would lead to cheaper prices onboard.

I mean, if they are not selling it beacuse people are brining on cheap booze from home/port then surely in order to cover their costs won't they have to charge more.

OR am I stupid by abiding by the rules and regulations.

On the other hand, I wouldn't even consider going out to a bar at home for a drink with freinds and take my own alcohol.

Yes, smuggling is a crime, but what passengers are doing is not smuggling (and therefore, not illegal). What they are doing is sneaking alcohol onboard against the cruise lines' rules.

Onboard drink prices are not any higher than most bars and restaurants, so the amount of sneaking that goes on has little relationship to drink costs.

Also please remember that going on a cruise isn't just "going to a restaurant," so that is not a reasonable comparison. If all we were doing was boarding the ship to eat a meal, then it would be. But on a cruise ship, we are boarding to have lodging, entertainment, and food and drink. Would you bring a bottle of alcohol with you to a hotel so that you could fix a drink to sip while sitting on your balcony? Nearly all hotels and resorts allow this. Would you perhaps even make a drink and take it to the pool area of that hotel? Most allow this too, as long as you use non-glass containers. Then, of course, there are the thousands of restaurants that allow customers to bring a bottle of wine and pay a corkage fee. Not hard liquor, so it's not quite a comparison.

We don't sneak alcohol onboard because it's too much bother. We don't condemn those who do, as long as their sneaking doesn't lead to behavior that negatively affects our cruise time.

beachchick

So forgive me if I'm not catching this some where, how exactly does the bringing wine with you onboard work? You just put it in your suitcase and they figure it out from there? Or should you carry it on with you? I'd love to bring a few of my Spanish wines! Any help would be awesome! (I could careless about the liquor, I'll get it onboard if I want it)

Archived