Xmas Cruising?

Stuster

Thinking about taking our family (including 9 and 11 year old kids) on a cruise this Xmas. Have taken all of our previous cruises during either spring vacation or the summer so this would be a first. My wife and I are wondering what it will be like on board and whether we want to give up all of our holiday traditions. So--wondering have any of you cruised over Xmas previously. What's it like (do ships/cruise lines do any "special" things for the day?) and do did you/your family/kids feel like they missed out on anything that goes with a "typical" Xmas? Thanks for your thoughts!

Thinking about taking our family (including 9 and 11 year old kids) on a cruise this Xmas. Have taken all of our previous cruises during either spring vacation or the summer so this would be a first. My wife and I are wondering what it will be like on board and whether we want to give up all of our holiday traditions. So--wondering have any of you cruised over Xmas previously. What's it like (do ships/cruise lines do any "special" things for the day?) and do did you/your family/kids feel like they missed out on anything that goes with a "typical" Xmas? Thanks for your thoughts!

My family and I often cruised over the holidays on the QE2. My last Christmas Cruise was also on the QE2 and as always it is a very special place to celebrate the holidays. The entire ship is festooned with wreaths, trees, lights and there is definitely an air of excitement and energy throughout.

I would definitely recommend taking your family away for a Christmas Cruise. There is usually a Santa Clause and special gifts from the cruise line. There are also carols and services held. Perhaps you may miss certain family members, but, as you know you will meet some wonderful new friends and you will have great memories of Christmas on the high seas.

Jonathan

That's hard to answer as it is a personal thing, full of YOUR emotions. I was gone one Xmas on a trip and thought it would be great. Did have a good time, but occasionally would think of what I was missing...family, traditions etc. Made me feeling bittersweet, as I knew what I was missing.

I'm not sure how a child would feel. I'd guess they wouldn't have the emotion attcahed to the holiday as many adults do.

There certainly is enough to do to keep you in the the vacationing mood and you can still do little things with your kids to make you all feel "at home." I wouldn't worry too mcuh. Have a great cruise!

I've been cruising every Xmas and sometimes New Year's as well for so many years now and it is the best time (in my opinion to travel) - only because as others have mentioned, the ship is decorated, there are so many activities for the kids (even though we have a 20-year old, we still enjoy going away and it's usually just the three of us). We don't plan anything with relatives; we just do our own thing. Yes, it can be a tad more expensive but there are deals out there. We're on the Mariner of the Seas this December 2009 to Mexico and they just had a price drop of $450 so better in our favor! Thinking back, I don't think our son has ever missed out on anything; he's always loved going away at holiday time.

We did a cruise to Hawaii over the holidays in '07. It is a great venue for large and extended families as no one has to plan, cook or clean up. The ships are well decorated and there are lots of Christmas activities, including carol singing, gingerbread house building, crafts, religious ceremonies, and a visit from Santa....but it is not like being at home. The ships are crowded and the cruise is expensive. It just didn't work for us. However I know of people who do it year after year.

As we don't have a lot of vacation time, we have taken advantage of having Christmas Day and Christmas Eve off to cruise. We take along some strings of lights and a little decoration and do up our room. Our family is scattered all over the globe or there abouts. It is too expensive to get everyone in one place.

Doing a cruise keeps our minds on other things than who is where and not with us.

Some cruise lines do give gifts. We have glasses from American Hawaii cruise line (now gone) and HAL.

I appreciate the responses to my original post here. After reading (here and elsewhere), my wife and I decided to talk to our kids to get their input. Very interesting conversation to say the least with a 9 and 11 year old. But they bought in rather enthusiastically to the idea so we've booked on Carnival Miracle to St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts.

We know we'll have a great time regardless (my wife is particularly thrilled about the idea of getting a year off from Xmas power shopping/decorating/holiday logistics), but we've started brainstorming ideas of what we can do/take with us to make the cruise fit with holiday. Can't take the 7 foot tall tree or the kid's train that runs around it..... however, we've already got on our list things like small presents for each other, Xmas lights for our cabin, Xmas cards and small presents for steward/waiter/waitress to hopefully remind them about their homes and families. Appreciate any other ideas from those of you who have cruised over Xmas. Thanks!

Our kids are a little older (teens)and we cruised on the mariner last christmas.

They didnt get presents as such, as the holiday was a gift to us all. we had a month away (disney, cruise and las vegas) but we did get tiny stocking purses and put some money in it for when they got home to spend. Plus I bought a few little bits.

The ship was decorated nice and Xmas songs and eggnog were in the promenade. santa came and my 16 year old daughter queued up for a while to sit with santa and get her gift. She could have gotten it from the teen club but wanted to get a photo with santa. All the kids got a nice gift from santa and rcl.

We were in St, martin on xmas day, so for us that was a real treat.

I would do it again.

I appreciate the responses to my original post here. After reading (here and elsewhere), my wife and I decided to talk to our kids to get their input. Very interesting conversation to say the least with a 9 and 11 year old. But they bought in rather enthusiastically to the idea so we've booked on Carnival Miracle to St. Maarten, St. Lucia, St. Kitts.

We know we'll have a great time regardless (my wife is particularly thrilled about the idea of getting a year off from Xmas power shopping/decorating/holiday logistics), but we've started brainstorming ideas of what we can do/take with us to make the cruise fit with holiday. Can't take the 7 foot tall tree or the kid's train that runs around it..... however, we've already got on our list things like small presents for each other, Xmas lights for our cabin, Xmas cards and small presents for steward/waiter/waitress to hopefully remind them about their homes and families. Appreciate any other ideas from those of you who have cruised over Xmas. Thanks!

What about getting a nice cruise xmas tree decoration for each child to wrap for xmas as a souvenir of the trip. then each year when they dress the tree they will get a lovely reminder. we do this for most holidays.

Our kids are a little older (teens)and we cruised on the mariner last christmas.

They didnt get presents as such, as the holiday was a gift to us all. we had a month away (disney, cruise and las vegas) but we did get tiny stocking purses and put some money in it for when they got home to spend. Plus I bought a few little bits.

The ship was decorated nice and Xmas songs and eggnog were in the promenade. santa came and my 16 year old daughter queued up for a while to sit with santa and get her gift. She could have gotten it from the teen club but wanted to get a photo with santa. All the kids got a nice gift from santa and rcl.

We were in St, martin on xmas day, so for us that was a real treat.

I would do it again.

Hey Kaseyoz: we will be in St. Maarten on Xmas day this year. What was open? Closed?

What did you end up doing that day? We've heard much of island is shut down which is too bad because we love St. Maarten and were really looking forward to our day there. Appreciate any information you can provide. sle

• 2 months later...

Hi:

We are booked on same Miracle cruise. A few years ago my husband and 2 kids and I went to Germany and France for Christmas. For us, traveling at Christmas and foregoing the things that go along with Christmas (as you aptly put it, the power shopping, decorating, etc....) works. It's kinda cool to see how people in other countries celebrate.... I really like your idea of taking small presents for the steward/waiter/waitress.

I look forward to reading about your other great ideas!

Thanks!

We have been cruising the Caribbean on Princess for the last 5 years. Love getting away from the shopping, decorating and general holiday madness. The ships are nicely decorated, fellow passengers are in great holiday mood, weather is sunny and warm, nice meals served without any effort on my part...

The most work we do is to decorate our cabin (we leave the decorations behind when we disembark).

When we come back home, other than laundry, there is no need to take down decorations and put away anything. We do set up a small tree in our kitchen with our favorite decorations from ports of call.

I am already counting down to Dec. 20 :)

• 1 month later...
Hey Kaseyoz: we will be in St. Maarten on Xmas day this year. What was open? Closed?

What did you end up doing that day? We've heard much of island is shut down which is too bad because we love St. Maarten and were really looking forward to our day there. Appreciate any information you can provide. sle

Just take the ship's excursion to a beach or a boat ride. Nothing beats being on a Caribbean beach or out on a boat in Caribbean Sea, sipping rum punch or pina colada on Xmas day!!

We spent one Xmas Day on beach in Antigua and we rented jet-skis!!

I made posterboard Christmas trees for all of the family members stateroom doors. Throughout the week I would post different small quotes and notes on their trees. I also left post-it notes and a pen in an envelope on the door so that any passerbys could add notes. In any event--enjoy.

We always thought that Christmas/New Year's cruises were expensive. Well, we had to cancel a January cruise due to a travel agency going bankrupt. We escaped unscathed and were looking for a replacement. On Monday, Celebrity sent us an email about a 12-day cruise out of Baltimore, our home town, that covers Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and New Year's, returning Jan. 2. That's a pretty impressive lineup, if you want to OD on holidays. All this for about the same money than what we would have paid for the canceled January cruise.

This particular cruise is a standout even in a very unstable holiday cruise market which has led to intense price-cutting as various lines are trying to fill the ships. If there ever was a time to consider a Christmas cruise, instead of pre-Christmas or after-Christmas, this may be the year.

This will be our first holiday cruise. We don't worry about kids; they often behave better than adult chair hogs. We are easy to please: just give us some warm sunshine and we'll be fine. We have never had a bad cruise.

I would get out shopping now and get some decorations for your cruise rooms. Really cheers things up. As for the staff, I would give a card with money in it. They have no place to store any stuff.

This year I've gotten fascinated with the battery operated tea lights and am having all sorts of ideas of how to use them.

Honestly, we are unlikely to have any decorations in our cabin. As it is, we are afraid of overdosing on all the holiday stuff.

We are in our mid-to-late sixties and looking for new experiences. We have done the family thing, let's now try something where we don't need to lift a finger during the holidays. Our Christmas gift to one another is the cruise and togetherness. We have everything we need; in fact, we are downsizing.

Our cabin is our sanctuary. You may not believe but too much Christmas gets tiresome.

We are looking forward to caroling and witnessing how Celebrity celebrates the season. We have celebrated Christmas several times around the world. Nothing strangers than having all the Santas and reindeers in South Africa!

The memories that linger concern childhood Christmases. . .

We are going on at Christmas also this year but on the Carnival Liberty. One thing we have decided to do is door decorating, we are going to get some great decorations and fancy up all 3 doors in our party. Also one thing we have decided is no gifts, well except one. We are going to put everyones name in a hat while waiting in LAX and the name we draw is who we buy a souvenir type gift at one of the ports before Christmas and wrap that gift up. We also are going to take lil gifts for our room stewards and waiters, my husband is a wood worker so he is making wooden keychains with animals from Canada, we thought would be kinda a neat thing for the staff since most are from overseas. We have ages from 12 to 66 going and are all very excited.

Have fun on your cruise.

We always thought that Christmas/New Year's cruises were expensive. Well, we had to cancel a January cruise due to a travel agency going bankrupt. We escaped unscathed and were looking for a replacement. On Monday, Celebrity sent us an email about a 12-day cruise out of Baltimore, our home town, that covers Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa and New Year's, returning Jan. 2. That's a pretty impressive lineup, if you want to OD on holidays. All this for about the same money than what we would have paid for the canceled January cruise.

This particular cruise is a standout even in a very unstable holiday cruise market which has led to intense price-cutting as various lines are trying to fill the ships. If there ever was a time to consider a Christmas cruise, instead of pre-Christmas or after-Christmas, this may be the year.

This will be our first holiday cruise. We don't worry about kids; they often behave better than adult chair hogs. We are easy to please: just give us some warm sunshine and we'll be fine. We have never had a bad cruise.

Not to be picky, but if you're talking about 2009, Hanukkah will be over by the time you board. The first night is on the 11th this year.

We are going on at Christmas also this year but on the Carnival Liberty. One thing we have decided to do is door decorating, we are going to get some great decorations and fancy up all 3 doors in our party. Also one thing we have decided is no gifts, well except one. We are going to put everyones name in a hat while waiting in LAX and the name we draw is who we buy a souvenir type gift at one of the ports before Christmas and wrap that gift up. We also are going to take lil gifts for our room stewards and waiters, my husband is a wood worker so he is making wooden keychains with animals from Canada, we thought would be kinda a neat thing for the staff since most are from overseas. We have ages from 12 to 66 going and are all very excited.

Have fun on your cruise.

We were on the Island Princess for the holiday cruise in 2005/06 that covered Hanukkah, Christmas, and New Years. The ship was decorated, there were holiday oriented arts and crafts for the kids in the program, even the buffet waitstaff were wearing Santa hats. Each cabin's inbox had a pine cone attached (they were taken down on the 26th), but many passengers added decorations like wreathes and bows to their doors (just don't put anything you wouldn't want to lose).

There was a priest, a reverand and a rabbi onboard and they all led services. We went to the menorah lighting on the first night of Hanukkah and the lounge was packed with passengers who had brought their menorahs from home. The rabbi had everyone bring them up and then ask the kids to help him light them. We brought a foam sticker one instead and taped to the stand holding the tv in our cabin.

Christmas Eve and NYE were formal nights (it was a 15-day cruise so there were 3 of them) with special place settings and menu.

We were at sea for the 25th so we didn't have to worry about attractions being closed for the holiday. Honolulu was back in action by the 27th when we arrived.

We've been discussing doing this same cruise again, at the same time, maybe in the next couple of years. If we wait until 2011, Hanukkah is the same week as Christmas, but I wouldn't mind if we go next year. If the crowds at the malls drive you crazy, then that's an advantage to a holiday cruise.

Chick -- Thanks for the correction; I went by information about this year's Hanukkah date that I found on the web. Let's try again. My calendar says that the 18th is the first night of Muharram, so there's got to be a couple of actual holidays in the world that I missed.

Since I was misinformed, did I overpay?

I had always wanted to Cruise during the Christmas Holiday and this year will be the year. It is not a long cruise, but it is a little getaway for the 2 of us. We enjoy spending time together and the grandkids are getting older now and only want cash or gift cards. That is fine with me. No real xmas shopping this year at all.. I think I could just love this.. Not taking any decorations for the cabin or the door. They will have the ship decorated and that will be enough. Not taking fancy clothes. Just black slacks and some nice dressy tops.. SHORTS and SWIMWEAR for the daytime.. It will be all good, am not going to get myself upset on what to wear and how to do this and that.. We are packing light too. SO that is a good thing. J

Archived