Anyone else feeling nickeled and dimed to death?

I've just returned from a seven day Caribbean cruise with my DH, and we feel like we've been pecked to death by chickens. Everywhere we turned there was a "nominal" charge for some item or service formerly included in our cruise fare price. It's been two years since we cruised this line. Are all of them going this way? Are all lines charging for LOTS of things we used to get for "free"?

I've got nothing but lint left in my pockets.

Terri

I've just returned from a seven day Caribbean cruise with my DH, and we feel like we've been pecked to death by chickens. Everywhere we turned there was a "nominal" charge for some item or service formerly included in our cruise fare price. It's been two years since we cruised this line. Are all of them going this way? Are all lines charging for LOTS of things we used to get for "free"?

Terri

Most of the main stream lines are doing the same.

Terri

What specific items are you referring to that USED to be FREE but now being charged for ? I really can't see many new charges appearing that were not there in the past...

Now HIGHER PRICES than in the past... thats a different story regarding the extras you have to pay for.

What cruiseline ?

What specific items are you referring to that USED to be FREE but now being charged for ? I really can't see many new charges appearing that were not there in the past...

Now HIGHER PRICES than in the past... thats a different story regarding the extras you have to pay for.

What cruiseline ?

RCI is the cruiseline. Specifically, bottled water. I remember them handing out cold bottles of water as you left for port. Now they want a whopping $$ for them. And orange juice! They serve a Tang-like product in the buffet, but want $4/glass for real orange juice.

It just seemed like every where we turned they were hawking products and services for high dollar. It was very intrusive and irritating.

I would imagine it's happening across the industry, as we're all tightening our belts, but man was it disconcerting.

Terri

RCI is the cruiseline. Specifically, bottled water. I remember them handing out cold bottles of water as you left for port. Now they want a whopping $$ for them. And orange juice! They serve a Tang-like product in the buffet, but want $4/glass for real orange juice.

It just seemed like every where we turned they were hawking products and services for high dollar. It was very intrusive and irritating.

I would imagine it's happening across the industry, as we're all tightening our belts, but man was it disconcerting.

Terri

I have been cruising for 20+ years... and even in the past 10 years, we have always had to pay for bottled water. As for the OJ, I have found that if serving apple juice, it fills my needs.

If those are the only two items that really disturb you, you may want to consider more high end cruising where the nickle and diming is not present or perhaps a different type of vacation is in order ? I am not flaming, but I just do not see where those two items would deter me from booking a cruise. You still get your wonderful service, meals, entertainment, accommodations and luxurious transportation to a variety of ports of call...

Any of the extras that can be purchased are AT YOUR DISCRETION.

Good luck in finding the vacation package that meets your needs.

I would never take and RCI cruise without buying the soft drink package, as all your fruit juices are included in it, not just soda. Bottled water is not though. If you don't like paying everytime, buy one bottle and keep refilling it.

K

I have been cruising for 20+ years... \accommodations and luxurious transportation to a variety of ports of call...

Any of the extras that can be purchased are AT YOUR DISCRETION.

Good luck in finding the vacation package that meets your needs.

Only 15 years for me but...I have to agree with the OP it is getting more intrusive from the TV ads, to the junk left in my daily planner and on my bed, the sells spiels as soon as I board, the aggressive drink sellers and loudspeaker announcements and the usual line of vendors taking over the port shops... enough is enough!

I understand that the cruise lines are hurting but once is enough for the sales pitches; they do not have to beat me over the head.

I'm curious which lines don't do this that don't charge an arm and a leg.:confused:

Linda

I agree there is a trend towards more items or services having charges now - ice cream on some ships, for instance - and some lines more than others. However, I worked on a ship almost 20 years ago and the price of a 7-day Caribbean cruise then isn't that much different than it is now. And this was on a ship without all the bells and whistles they have now. Much smaller cabins, no specialty restaurants, less exercise equipment, etc.

I guess they have to make up the revenue somehow.

I see it as a choice between paying more upfront and not having to deal with the annoying little nuisance charges... or paying as low a fare as cruises now can be found but adding on the optional extra cost items as desired. For some the end result will be the same, while others have no desire for the options and keep their bottom line low.

I've noticed that my extra charges (specialty restaurants, liquor, spa, excursions, yada yada yada) tend to run about 2x what my baseline fare is. I suppose it would be very pleasant to find a cruise line that would charge me perhaps 8/10ths of my usual base fare and extra charges and I'd not have to deal with whipping that seapass card out at all! That's how the Club Med type land based resorts are set up.

Nickel'd and dime'd, let them have it, who cares. They give plenty enough to survive for a week or two. Anything else that's nominal ... who needs it. Beer/wine, buy it at ports. Spa ... ask your wife or husband or for a massage. Don't have one, stop by Brookstone and rent a Thumper for 30 days and then return it. Ice cream ... who cares ... don't get enough in the states? Prices are fair ... food and entertainment is a plenty. Let them nickel and dime, just say no, problem solved.

Pretty well put.... you don't have to purchase any of the "nickel and dime" items as there is plenty onboard to eat, drink, be entertained that ARE INCLUDED in your cruise fare. I have found that a simple no thank you usually steers the people trying to "nickle and dime" you away !

There has always been some type of solicitation during port talks, inserts in the daily newsletter, suggestions to buy the drink of the day, purchase of bottled water....visit the gift shops onboard, bingo.... Nothing new in the past years that I see really at all.

And with the lower fares it sems that passengers are harder to please than in the past rather than appreciative that they are cruising FOR LESS $$$ than they did 10 years ago !

Terri

I too find it irritating. I prefer that they just roll it all up in the cruise fare. I don't care if it even costs more either. In my opinion, all this nickel and diming distracts from the experiance.

Only 15 years for me but...I have to agree with the OP it is getting more intrusive from the TV ads, to the junk left in my daily planner and on my bed, the sells spiels as soon as I board, the aggressive drink sellers and loudspeaker announcements and the usual line of vendors taking over the port shops... enough is enough!

I understand that the cruise lines are hurting but once is enough for the sales pitches; they do not have to beat me over the head.

I'm curious which lines don't do this that don't charge an arm and a leg.:confused:

Linda

Easy answer.

Either you can pay big money upfront to the luxury lines for all the things you may or may not want, and then have NO nickel and diming.

OR

You can pay the incredibly low fares the mass market lines are charging and only pay for the things you want once you get onboard.

Both are great options, BUT you can't have it both ways at the same time.

I too find it irritating. I prefer that they just roll it all up in the cruise fare. I don't care if it even costs more either. In my opinion, all this nickel and diming distracts from the experiance.

Not me - I prefer paying less and not having to pay for things I don't want. I don't drink soda, bring my own bottled water (can't even remember when it was free), get all the included ice cream I want at meals, don't use spa services, don't need a high-priced hamburger, can live without fresh squeezed OJ, etc., and am very happy not to have to pay for everyone else to have these things included.

Not me - I prefer paying less and not having to pay for things I don't want. I don't drink soda, bring my own bottled water (can't even remember when it was free), get all the included ice cream I want at meals, don't use spa services, don't need a high-priced hamburger, can live without fresh squeezed OJ, etc., and am very happy not to have to pay for everyone else to have these things included.

Same with me. I have no problem saying "No thankyou" to the DOD server, the photographer or the sales people in port. If anyone gets aggresive, I can play that game myself. ;) I'm don't go cheap on my vacations but I don't need to spend alot of extra money to enjoy myself.

You have summed up my thoughts perfectly. I'll do any spa treatments at home, don't even remember the last time I had a soda, the soft serve usually calls my name when we are up on deck, no need for Bingo, I can just use the exercise equip when I want (no need for a class), Windjammer, dining room have plenty enough food already included in the cruise fare, the Promenade Cafe and Sorrentos are a bonus.

The cruise is meant to be as expensive as cheap as you want it. If they keep it as is may keep the # of cabins they book but lessen the amt of $$ they make on the ship. If they up the price it may be more difficult to sell the cabins (especially to families). One of the positives with familes is that the "loyalty" of customers extends to kids...kids might be more prone to sailing on the same line when they become an adult.

I am cruising in one week and already can see that I am going to be pecked to death as the op stated. But I set up a budget and have already set up an on board account to ease the pain (the money that I have sent to my on board account will cover excursions and incidentals). And I can always say no to whatever they are hawking.

I do understand the frustration, but we cant go on these cruises for free, cruise ships costs a large amount of money to operate and maintain and we the cruiser pay that cost.

I am cruising in one week and already can see that I am going to be pecked to death as the op stated. But I set up a budget and have already set up an on board account to ease the pain (the money that I have sent to my on board account will cover excursions and incidentals). And I can always say no to whatever they are hawking.

I do understand the frustration, but we cant go on these cruises for free, cruise ships costs a large amount of money to operate and maintain and we the cruiser pay that cost.

I just don't get it... there is enough free food, drink, entertainment all included in your cruise fare.... you DO NOT HAVE TO SPEND another "nickle or dime" for any extra items offered IF YOU DON'T WANT TO !!!

Shore tours have always been extra regardless if booking on the cruise or not....Gratuities have always been a part of cruising, alcohol has always been extra....the list could go on and on for the extra costs, but the cruise in itself has not changed that much at all regarding what you are provided now or in the past say 10 years !

Y'all need to stop the whining and start enjoying life and be thankful you even have the finances to be able to cruise ! :cool:

I do hope you have a wonderful cruise and that the calm seas and fair winds surround you during your entire cruise experience.

I just don't get it... there is enough free food, drink, entertainment all included in your cruise fare.... you DO NOT HAVE TO SPEND another "nickle or dime" for any extra items offered IF YOU DON'T WANT TO !!!

Shore tours have always been extra regardless if booking on the cruise or not....Gratuities have always been a part of cruising, alcohol has always been extra....the list could go on and on for the extra costs, but the cruise in itself has not changed that much at all regarding what you are provided now or in the past say 10 years !

Y'all need to stop the whining and start enjoying life and be thankful you even have the finances to be able to cruise ! :cool:

I do hope you have a wonderful cruise and that the calm seas and fair winds surround you during your entire cruise experience.

Nothing more to be added. Well said.

I can understand the OP's concern as the cruise lines still spread the myth that everything is included.

Once you accept the concept that this is a total fabrication, all the extras are completely optional and to me, don't detract one iota from the overall experience.

Bottled water? bring your own or use the tap water and chill it. Photos? bring the cameraman on - take as many shots as you like, it is enormous fun checking out the ridiculous staged photo ops particularly as we will never buy a photograph. Cruise excursions? give me a break, that's what the internet and research tools are for. The only single cruise excursion we ever took was on a 40 person tank of a coach with an excursion guide who was so monotonous and boring that she could put a class of 5 year olds to sleep in seconds..

The cruise is what you make of it - the experience certainly is different from 20 years ago, but I still love it.

Archived