Funny food stories anyone?

magandab

Who has a funny story, related to the food on a cruise? My favorite still is from my very first cruise on the old HAL Noordam. The ice cream at the ice cream bar was FANTASTIC but after my first order there, the guy who worked scooping it was forever known as the "Ice Cream ****". I'd go up, look at the list of flavors and ask for, say, hazelnut chocolate. "No hazelnut, what else do you want?"

I'd ask "what do you have?" His answer, every time? "Read the board!" This happened every day.

DH and I did one sailing on Celebrity, the Mercury on a coastal cruise. The first night out, DH ordered a caesar salad, tasted it, and found it bland. He asked if he could get some anchovies on the side to perk it up a bit. No problem - the waiters trotted them back out. And every night after that, no matter what type of salad he was getting, they proudly trotted out the anchovies, secure in the knowledge that "this guy likes anchovies." Of course, anchovies didn't always go with the salad of the night. The worst combo was when DH got a baby greens salad with dried cranberries, walnuts, and some kind of vinagrette dressing. :D:D

A couple of years ago we took some friends on their first cruise. Now these are not sophisticated people by any means, and they are the first to admit it.

The first night at dinner, lobster bisque was one of the soups being offered. My dear friend, who I love very much, told the waiter he would like to start with the "lobster buzeke"! :D We gave him grief about that for a long time after. Thank goodness he's a very good sport!!

On one cruise, we were seated with three other couples for dinner. One couple was not very worldly or sophisticated at all, but they were very, very sweet and we really enjoyed their company. One evening, the man ordered the prawn dish for his entrée and when it arrived, he took one look at it and exclaimed, "Those aren't prawns, they're shrimp!" He admitted that he had no idea what a prawn was when he ordered the dish. Well the dish was somewhat fancy, very well-presented and had a delicious light sauce. The waiter was mortified when the gentleman then said, "Well since they're shrimp, can I have some cocktail sauce with that?" :D

• 4 weeks later...

A few cruises ago, during a dinner near the end of the week, my husband remarked that while the food was fabulous, he was looking forward to having a simple grilled ham and cheese sandwich when he got home. Our waitor must have overheard him for the next evening, my husband got his grilled ham and cheese sandwich with dinner!

:rolleyes: We were once in a five star restaurant in Nice, France, when a guy at the next table ordered steak tartare - you can guess what's coming next - when it arrived he called the waiter back and in aloud voice declared "I'm not eating ----dy raw food".

In 2004 on a Princess Cruise - we decided to spend the extra $$$ to eat in the fancy Italian Restaurant.

When we showed up earlier in the day to make our reservation, the host asked what our last name was (now keep in mind that many of the staff are european and this guy was a native of Italy) so we proceeded to tell him our last name was SUDORE to which he started giggling..... we knew right away why..... you see our last name in Italian means "to sweat" and that apparently tickled his funny bone... much to his surprise we knew what he was laughing about and he immediately became concerned... we told him it was o.k. and chuckled with him....

BTW the meal was fantastic and worth the extra $$$

• 4 weeks later...

I remember a couple years back on a Disney Cruise, my Mom was undecided about dessert that night and when asked to order she told our waiter "Oh, I don't know, surprise me..." So away he went and the waiter returned with our desserts - nothing for my Mom - he scooted into the kitchen again and returned with a lone plate, a ramekin of creme brulee' surrounded by fresh fruit and "Surprise Me" written in raspberry coulis around the edge of the plate. We certainly all had a good laugh, and no doubt enjoyed our desserts.

After I slowly savored the chocolate melting cake at the end of our meal, our waiter returned and asked if he could get us anything else. I said a nice coffee would be marvelous. He asked if I would like cream as well, so of course!

He returned a bit later with a glass of ice coffee au lait. Oops... LOL, he took my 'a nice coffee' as 'an ice coffee'.

I had never liked ice coffee before but I didn't want to embarass anyone (myself included, perhaps foremost!)

One of my dining partners mentioned she had never thought of ice coffee after her meals, but mine looked so good, she wanted one too.

LOL, I never had the heart to tell anyone that it wasn't quite what I had in mind, but it turned out to be a fine ending and to this day I'll have an ice coffee as a treat now and then, and remember that wonderful night.

Marie

On our previous cruise, the assistant waiter and my father (his first cruise) kept teasing each other back and forth. They would go back and forth about what bread to eat, and how much food my dad would order (he usually had 2 appetizers and 2 entrees). It was fun teasing, and enjoyed by both sides. On the last formal night he brought my dad 4 lobsters, prime rib, and a steak and told my dad to enjoy his "surf and turf". Then during dessert, my dad made a comment about not getting enough to eat, and the waiter put my dad in a headlock and put whipped cream (from his dessert) all over his face. It was hilarious! The waiter then went on to hand feed my mom her dessert while my dad was laughing so hard, he could hardly stay in his chair.

Our cruise was made extra memorable by the wonderful wait staff. Clovis-- You were awesome!

I had just recently starting eating Sushi and was not familiar with all the different types. The first couple of days on the cruise, they had Sushi at the buffet and I always tried each kind.

One afternoon, I went to get some to share with my friends and was too embarrased to ask what type each was, so I took a couple of each and brought them back to the table. After explaining to my friends that I was unsure what kind they were, everyone proceeded to laugh their "you know whats off"..unaware, I picked up one piece and plopped it in my mouth to realize it was Sushi made out of rice and chocolate!! It was on the midnight buffet as dessert and they served it the next day for eveyone to try!

I had just recently starting eating Sushi and was not familiar with all the different types. The first couple of days on the cruise, they had Sushi at the buffet and I always tried each kind.

One afternoon, I went to get some to share with my friends and was too embarrased to ask what type each was, so I took a couple of each and brought them back to the table. After explaining to my friends that I was unsure what kind they were, everyone proceeded to laugh their "you know whats off"..unaware, I picked up one piece and plopped it in my mouth to realize it was Sushi made out of rice and chocolate!! It was on the midnight buffet as dessert and they served it the next day for eveyone to try!

That sounds really good!

You all have the most wonderful stories! I check back to this thread from time to time to see what everyone has to share. One thing I keep seeing and keep experiencing for myself is the warm and friendly stories about the dining staff that make our visits extra special. I keep reading wonderful things also about the nice little extra things that people have done to say thank you to their waitstaff above the simple cash tip - see the thread about clever things to bring with you!

One cruise we had a 4 top of tweens who were in love with our shared asst waiter next to us. They would constantly call him over to the table, write him poems and sing him songs about how they were going to marry him. This embarassed him to no end and his neck and ears would turn bright red. On the next to last night they went so far as to come to our table while he was serving us bread and pull on his sleeve while he was attending to us! He appologized over and over, and was worried that we were upset. We assured him that we weren't. I then called some of the girls over and told them he had told me what kind of woman he likes: One that is quiet, demure, sits in her seat, acts respectful to other passengers and doesn't stand on her chair to sing songs about marriage. This stratagy worked that night, but the last night they were back to their antics but finally their parents intervened and made them sit down and be quiet. This was really entertaiing for our group and each night we were surprosed by their creativity!

when i was a teenager my parents took me and my younger brother on our first cruise, and let us stay in a room together (they stayed right beside of us). at night he and i would order room service and one night i got a roast beef sandwich. i took a very large bite of what i assumed to be cole slaw only to realize VERY quickly it was horseradish! we still giggle about that and about how we would sit our room service trays outside by other people's doors so passerbys wouldn't see how piggy we were hehe. :p

We took our family on a four day cruise in July. We had five cabins for our party of 13

When the kids found out about "free room service" they had a ball! One afternoon, when the lines at all the lunch venues were out of sight, they went to their cabins, ordered lunch, and then brought their lunch poolside. Pretty clever for 6-9 yr olds while their parents were still on lines.

• 2 months later...

About 5 years ago several friends and I did a "mother - daughter" (with a few extra "daughters" thrown in) cruise on RCI. Just two weeks before the cruise my daughter's friend, Lisa, found out she was pregnant with twins (her first).

About half way through the cruise she decided she'd better start watching what she was eating and that evening while all the other 20-30 somethings orderded decadent desserts she explained the situation to their waiter and declined. Shortly thereafter he returned with the desserts for the others and a plate for Lisa - empty - except for the drawing of the smiley face and the words "I'm being good!".

Everyone had a good laugh and took lots of pictures!!!

• 1 month later...

On Celebrity Summit we had dinner in the Normandie Specialty Restaurant ($25 surcharge at the time). It was beautiful and elegant. The meal was superb. At the time I was in culinary school and my cousin (who is also our TA) told the Maitre 'D that I would love to meet the Executive Chef. We were told he was really shy, and hardly ever came out of the kitchen to speak with guests, but he woud love to meet me, as I was an aspiring chef.

I told him how much I loved the meal, and that I appreciated his attention to detail and presentation. One thing I did not tell him though, but I will tell you...

I ordered the dessert sampler. It came with seven little bite-sized creations. Each one cuter and tastier than the last... When I tried the white one, (which was mint mousse, as I was later told), I swear it tasted just like Pepsodent.

Archived