Online check in / Do you input your middle name?

When I booked with Travel Agency, TA said that they only needed first and last name. Explanation was that RCI system just took first and last names.

If name on passport includes middle name, should the reservation be made with full name that appears on passport?

I am thinking that first and last name would be sufficient?

All that is needed is your 1st & last name. As you can see, you are not allowed to alter your 1st or last name, but you can add a middle name. However if you add one & have a past passenger Crown & Anchor number it will mess things up--it recognizes your exact name as you gave it to Crown & Anchor so it will start another file for you. I suggest leaving your name as it is.

When I booked with Travel Agency, TA said that they only needed first and last name. Explanation was that RCI system just took first and last names.

If name on passport includes middle name, should the reservation be made with full name that appears on passport?

I am thinking that first and last name would be sufficient?

Documents are supposed to match your passport exactly.

I just put my first and last name for my recent cruise on the Mariner. Then after I printed everything I had realized my passport has my middle name on it and almost freaked out because I was worried they would deny me boarding. I honestly forgot all about it until after the muster drill when I realized it must not matter that much if they let me on. Yeah the docs are supposed to match the passport, but it has my pic on it so obviously its me. If you are really worried then you can add your middle name, but I dont think it is a big deal.

I called RCCLs Norwegian office about this only a few weeks ago, because I realised I only had first and last names in my reservation.

The answer I got was that it was not necessary unless I insisted that I wanted them to add it.

We are travelling on JOTS including two days in St Petersburg.

Our cruise documents show first and last names but on my husbands passport he has a middle name.

We have booked our tours through Denrus giving our full passport names - how will this affect our entry in to Russia when RCI have only my husbands first and last name ?

thanks

We are travelling on JOTS including two days in St Petersburg.

Our cruise documents show first and last names but on my husbands passport he has a middle name.

We have booked our tours through Denrus giving our full passport names - how will this affect our entry in to Russia when RCI have only my husbands first and last name ?

thanks

If you're worried about it, have it changed.

First and Last are all that are required....doesn't matter if middle is on passport.

This is absolutely true. My middle name is on my passport but the RCCI documents only printed out my first and last names. I just got back from a cruise and there were absolutely no issues whatsoever.

I've NEVER had a problem with my middle name being on my passport but not on airline tickets or cruise documents. I also worked for a tour operator for a while and I never asked anyone their last names and no one ever called back to say they were denied boarding on anything.

I use my middle name on a whim. Depends on my mood. :)

Documents are supposed to match your passport exactly.

First and Last are all that are required....doesn't matter if middle is on passport.

I've NEVER had a problem with my middle name being on my passport but not on airline tickets or cruise documents. I also worked for a tour operator for a while and I never asked anyone their last names and no one ever called back to say they were denied boarding on anything.

I use my middle name on a whim. Depends on my mood. :)

Isn't Merion Mom a TA? So, what's the real story on this?

I KNOW we've cruised without problems. Passports all indicated our full legal name, including middle names, but the check in information just shows first and last. We've only had 3 cruises, and there have been zero problems, I just want to make sure it's not just lucky.

To the letter of the law, your travel documents are supposed to match your ID (in this case your passport) exactly. If you omit your middle name or initial, it generally will not make a difference however a few things to keep in mind:

1. When using a middlename/MI review all of your doc and make certain it does match exactly - "Jane Anne Doe" vs "Jane Ann Doe" or "Jane A Doe" will be more likely to raise a flag.
  2. If you have ever encountered difficulties before or if you have a common name, using your full middle name may be to your advantage. If someone with your same name is on a "do not fly" list, use of your Middle Name may be enough to differienciate you from your doppelganger (sp?)
  3. If you are traveling on the first couple cruises "of the season" out of a seasonal port -- use it. We have been on a couple of inaugural cruises for the season and the cruiseline and/or the immigration folks have been training newbies. When they are training or in training, they are much less tolerent of variations from the letter of the law.

You never know what you'll run into. Will you be denied boarding? - perhaps. If you get stopped by something like this, you will more likely need to provide additional ID, be more closely scrutinized, etc. More inconvenient than "tragic".

I was told if it is a two part first name (like DH's hyphenated name) then it must be there. However, middle names are often not included. Next time I renew my passport, I'm leaving my middle name off if possible though :rolleyes:

BTW, if you add your middle name to your C&A account, it can take up to 2 weeks to update online, I was told.

This may be too much information, but...

I was concerned when in the beginning of June there was a lot of press about passports needing to match airline tickets exactly for travel to and from the US (Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative). I read a bunch of posts on-line that said that even though your middle name is shown on your passport, you do not have to have it on your airline ticket. I searched the Passport website, the State Department website, and the Homeland Security website, and I could not find a clear answer to my question. So, I called American Airlines and spoke to a rep there. I felt this was a good reliable resource.

According to AA, beginning later this summer, the airlines and the cruise lines will be required to ask us for our middle names, birth dates, and gender when booking tickets. The AA rep told me that most of the airlines and cruise lines use the same booking system, and it does not permit the middle name to be displayed. The air and cruise companies will send this information electronically to TSA (Transportation Security Administration), and TSA will use it to match people to the watch list. The idea is that more information is provided and fewer people will be mistakenly pulled aside at the airport because their name is mistakenly on the watch list.

So, I put in my middle name when filling out my cruise docs on-line. It's on my passport and my driver's license, but it will not show on the cruise ticket or the airline ticket. Given the AA explanation, I feel I'll be ok.

Archived