natural shade at HMC?

GinDon

I believe I have read that there is some natural shade on HMC, back by the tree-line. Are we allowed to drag a lounger back there? Also, as the day progresses, does the shaded area get bigger or smaller (or non-existent) as the sun moves across the sky. Sort of a technical question, I know, but we are trying to decide whether to rent a clamshell (looks like it might get hot in there) or enjoy some natural open-air shade. A cabana is out of our price range. Much as we love the sun, when you get in your 60's, you start smartn'n up, and staying out of it!

There is some natural shade. Walk down the paved pathway to enter the beach at least at the level of the food pavilions or beyond. The loungers are lightweight so you can move them to catch the shade. I was there last week, and had taken a nature walk just before lunch, ate at the barbecue and then found a lounger in that area of the beach, in the shade. There was a hammock nearby which I sampled, too. This was between a couple of the cabanas (another poster on this board mentioned she feared "random strangers" using the hammock near her cabana--hope my quiet rocking did not disturb the cabana people nearby;)).

I had run into my dinner companions just before my hike and they told me they were going to rent a clam shell. They later told me it turned out to be unbearably hot--they left it to find shade. Near as I can remember the beach basically extends from east to west, so the changing sunlight would not greatly alter the total amount of shade.

I strongly recommend a hat to shade your face and eyes, sunglasses and plenty of sunscreen of course, and I wore a tee-shirt over my swimsuit for the nature walk and lunch, and only removed it when I was in the water. Some people wore teeshirts in the water, too.

It is a beautiful beach with the softest sand and clearest water you can imagine. Enjoy.

Thanks so much for the detailed reply. Sounds great.................just what I wanted to hear! That clamshell thingy didn't look very inviting. We always choose the "open-air" transportations, etc. so we can experience the sounds and smells of where we are visiting. I am looking forward to laying in the shade and enjoying the beach experience. Thanks again!

Archived