Join Me Onboard Seabourn Odyssey For Pre-Inaugural Peek!

SueBryantCruiseUK

Sue,

Glad your overall experience was positive. The problem in the Restuarant 2 is very unusual. Everytime I have dined in "2" on the little sisters I always tell them that as I am allergic to shellfish they can just leave out any course that contain it and that I am sure I will get more than enough to eat. Well they always kindly make a fuss over me and bring me some lovely substitutions which are unnecessary but much appreciated.I am sorry that you waiter seemed put out. I hope it can be chalked up to precruise jitters.

I think you're right and I really don't like to make a fuss. Usually I find in these situations that if you actually visit the maitre d' earlier in the day you can discuss what you might and might not get - I want the evening to go as smoothly as they do! And I do understand that you can't power-order in a place like Restaurant 2. I would have been happy with more sushi, frankly and as you say, nobody is going to starve in there!

As you've all probably gathered, the journalists have left the ship! Said goodbye to Seabourn Odyssey this morning feeling a few more days on board would have been ideal to chill - the last two days have been packed.

I think today will be exciting but tough for the crew as the first full paying guests arrive and look for perfection. The spa villas aren’t complete and nor is the watersports platform (we had a sneak look down there yesterday and there wasn’t any equipment). The Card Room this morning was packed full of computer gear. I think the suites, bars and restaurants and pool areas are working really well now and the crew appear happy, dedicated, motivated and proud, if a little tired. But some guests may have problems with the fact that there are still a few bits of masking tape stuck to a few windows and that some of the inevitable marks that any ship accumulates in the yard need polishing.

Still, the sun finally peeked through the clouds as my flight took off across the Venice lagoon – surely an auspicious symbol for the naming ceremony that should be happening almost as I write this!

Sue, this is a repeat request (I posted this on your blog but see thank mosts people are using this thread) Thank you for your offer - hope you have a wonderful initiation on Odyssey and yes, I do believe you should get a Venetian mask!

We are new to Seabourn and will be on the maiden Caribbean cruise of the Odyssey in November. My husband is a bit of a fitness nut so if you could provide some information on the gym facilities, ie. weight-lift equipment brand, whether there are any stairmasters, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Reading your blog will be a treat! thanks,

Very sad. What a way to cruise. :eek:

Odyssey has a bigger, more high-tech theater than the three smaller Seabourn ships, although the Grand Salon has more of a feel of a large-ish jazz club than an actual theater. We haven’t had any feathers-and-sequins production shows on the pre-inaugural, but more subtle entertainment from a British singing quartet, the Belinda King Singers, backed by the ship’s Take 5 orchestra. Full marks to Seabourn for playing its part here in keeping music live – no pre-records and definitely no miming.

I’m not convinced about the room layout of the Grand Salon. There are a lot of pillars, for a start, and curious padded silver booths down each side of the room. I can see these are to give it a clubby feel but if you sit in a booth, you can’t see the stage and people are likely to talk all through the performances. Having said that, the room was far from full last night but didn’t feel cavernous or embarrassingly empty, so perhaps the arrangement will work.

The first of the two performances was ‘Limelight’, featuring songs from popular musicals, while last night’s was a more eclectic mix of jazz, pop and world music. As a jazz fan, I loved the music, loved the fact that they were brave enough to open with the very difficult ‘Birdland’ and then mix it with a bit of Take That and some Latin swing – but I do wonder (and I say this as a fellow Brit) if the group offered enough showmanship between numbers to hold the attention of an American audience. I hope so, as they’re really talented – one of the girls, Shonagh Daly, has just starred in Dirty Dancing on the West End stage, for example.

For the Latin segment, ballroom dancers David and Bryony were brought on to accompany the singers. While the dance display was stupendous, I wouldn’t imagine any red-blooded woman would find skinny little snake-hipped David, er, sexy. I overheard a mature lady passenger this morning saying “He kept doing a macho, pouty face and he only looked about 15,” which brought a smile to my face.

Thank you for your marvelous posts. In terms of the Restaurant 2 supper, we had the same menu in January. Do you think there will be no changes in the Restaurant 2 menu? We ate there every night and it doesn't sound as though we will.

How many folks can be seated in Restaurant 2?

It strikes me as odd that there's a charge -- on a luxury ship -- for a spa day pass. Does anyone else think that's a bit rich? I'm trying to think of any other truly luxe lines (not including luxe-lite like Azamara and Oceania) that do so -- and can't.

I could see requiring people to make reservations or some other sort of crowd-control mechanism but this just feels -- tacky.

Carolyn

Thank you all so much for asking so many questions! I'll try to answer as many as possible, with a few short ones here:

Working in the cabins? Yes, there are several power points including one near the desk where I could plug in my laptop. No problems there, although the Wifi in #630 only works by the door!

Using the spa pool? A day pass for the spa costs $30 and includes use of the hydro pool (lots of jets and massage showers), the fancy 'experience' showers and the quiet lounging areas. The yoga studio has group classes which are free and the amazing Kinesis Wall which I think will be very popular. Use of the gym is free, of course, and there are saunas and steam room up there, too. If you book a treatment, you can use the hydro pool before and/or after.

Views from the V1 and V2 suites: Strangely, these weren't allocated as show cabins when I was on board! Yes, they do have those slightly 'enclosed' balconies instead of railings, although less so than Queen Mary 2. I was only able to view them from the quayside this morning.

The Card Room: Looks like it will be a convivial place to play bridge etc and it's right by Seabourn Square, not in some forgotten corner as card rooms sometimes are. This morning it was full of computer equipment so not sure how many guests this week will be using it!

I don't want to make this post too long so will put some more reviews in a new one.

It strikes me as odd that there's a charge -- on a luxury ship -- for a spa day pass. Does anyone else think that's a bit rich? I'm trying to think of any other truly luxe lines (not including luxe-lite like Azamara and Oceania) that do so -- and can't.

I could see requiring people to make reservations or some other sort of crowd-control mechanism but this just feels -- tacky.

Carolyn

The only "Luxe-like" ship that comes to mind that charges for spa day pass would be Canyon Ranch on the QM2. It is rumored that originally the charge would also include using the gym! This did not come to be, but because of that fact, unless you pay the charge, you cannot use the dressing rooms or showers as they are in the spa area.

Host Dan

Thank you for your marvelous posts. In terms of the Restaurant 2 supper, we had the same menu in January. Do you think there will be no changes in the Restaurant 2 menu? We ate there every night and it doesn't sound as though we will.

How many folks can be seated in Restaurant 2?

They say the menu changes every night for a week so it's a bit odd that we had the same! Didn't yours change every time you ate in there? Charlie Palmer also said he designed the main restaurant menus on a 21-night rotation.

The total capacity of Restaurant 2 is just over 40 but if you want the tables for two, book early as most tables seat six.

The only "Luxe-like" ship that comes to mind that charges for spa day pass would be Canyon Ranch on the QM2. It is rumored that originally the charge would also include using the gym! This did not come to be, but because of that fact, unless you pay the charge, you cannot use the dressing rooms or showers as they are in the spa area.

Host Dan

What I found odd is that spa prices on Odyssey are 'on request'. I assumed they just hadn't printed the price list yet when I visited but this morning I was double checking something with one of the concierges and he said everything in the spa was on request! I don't like having to ask for every rate, so here are some sample prices:

2 1/2 hours in a spa villa including a stone therapy treatment and bath ritual - $650 per villa

24 karat gold facial, the signature treatment - $325

Elemis Oxydermy facial (I like these very much) - $175

Thai herbal poultice massage, another specialty - $213

Elemis deep tissue muscle massage - $141

Swedish massage (I asked for their cheapest one) - $132

Manicure/pedicure - from $53, up to $80 for the full fancy pedicure

It's at the top end, of course, but some things like the Oxydermy are in line with other ships, if I remember correctly.

Interesting, thanks, Dan. Only quibble is that I don't consider Queen Mary 2 in its entirety to be a all-over luxury ship so the extra fee didn't register with me like it does now.

Carolyn

Host Dan

This comes in a few minutes ago from Twitter (and Pam Conover):

"Had a fantastic naming ceremony in Venice tonight with all the guests being the godparents. Bottle smashed and amazing fireworks. Pamela C"

Not sure what the schedule is for departure but there's been nary a peep about whether or not it will sail this evening. I guess I assume so (?) -- and certainly no passengers onboard would want to be posting during a fab christening but if anyone hears anything in the affirmative, please post it here!

Thanks.

Host Dan

I thought if one had a 'treatment' (i.e. facial, massage, etc) one could use the pool for no fee. But then, the only day I had a facial was a day docked in Ft Lauderdale. Funny thing, the 'disaster' alarm sounded while I had cucumbers on my eyes and some sort of mask. I worried until I realized I could walk off the ship and did not need my lifejacket.

Perhaps it was funnier then than now.

Oy if you are paying, as a good friend from Georgia calls it, "cash money", you deserve more. This doesn't necessarily relate here but I was on a Carnival cruise (recently), first night was tempted by great deals but treatment was disrupted by incessant shipwide announcements to the point of ridiculousness. Totally ruined the ambience but no concession was offered.

Steiner, which of course operated that spa as it does so many others on cruise lines, got yet another black mark in a whole encylopedia of black marks in my book. And indeed I wrote about the occurence and indeed, Steiner could care less, making no response as is traditional. Why care? It has a monopoly.

Carolyn

I thought if one had a 'treatment' (i.e. facial, massage, etc) one could use the pool for no fee. But then, the only day I had a facial was a day docked in Ft Lauderdale. Funny thing, the 'disaster' alarm sounded while I had cucumbers on my eyes and some sort of mask. I worried until I realized I could walk off the ship and did not need my lifejacket.

Perhaps it was funnier then than now.

Hi Sue,

firstly thankyou so much for your efforts. You're not bad for a Brit, even though us ossies are over in England to defend the ashes.

What is the situation with use of mobile phones and do you know the costs thereof.

Thanking you once again

Alfa

Hi Sue,

firstly thankyou so much for your efforts. You're not bad for a Brit, even though us ossies are over in England to defend the ashes.

What is the situation with use of mobile phones and do you know the costs thereof.

Thanking you once again

Alfa

Hi Alfa

Yes, Odyssey does have cellphone service at sea. But after my experience on cruise ship mobile networks last year, never again. I merrily made calls via the ship's network (this was on NCL) all through the Baltic and they were all routed via Bermuda and cost me nearly £300. Can't believe I was so naive. Now, when the ship's at sea, the phone is off. The internet was pretty good, though - much quicker than on some ships I've experienced.

"I could quite see myself dangling my toes in the pool with a late night cocktail on a balmy Caribbean night!"

I hope there is room for me also!!!!!

Do you mean the pool on Deck Five outside The Club? It's a great little plunge pool with two hot tubs and loungers, very quiet during the day and with quite a decadent feel at night as it's an extension of The Club, so you can hear the music while sitting by the water. Although the weather in Venice was unexciting I could quite see myself dangling my toes in the pool with a late night cocktail on a balmy Caribbean night!

Well, after a tense period last night during which we all wondered why Seabourn had gone suspiciously quiet, I can confirm that Odyssey set sail from Venice at 1:00am this morning after what looks like a lavish Venetian-themed party. Masked ladies in billowing ball dresses, flaming torches, goddess figures scattering petals in the pool and a huge firework display all featured at the naming ceremony and the bottle of Prosecco smashed beautifully. Wish I could have been there!

Archived