Who's going to Alaska in 2010?

brunolvr

We're booked on the Spirit for late May 2010 and yes, we were told that they will do the Tracy Arm Fjord. I just returned from 7 days on the Golden Princess and like many other Alaskan cruises this summer we were diverted to Endicott Arm because it was too foggy and icy in Tracy Arm. I loved Endicott Arm!

Thanks for the info on this. How was the Golden Princess?

I keep reading about the excursion that people can take in which they board a small boat and get up close to the glacier. It seems as though the excursion starts on land and they return to the ship at sea since it follows and is farther away. Since the Spirit is at sea and then cruising Tracy Arm I do not see how this can be offered. Maybe they start and end at sea? Carnival told my TA that they did not have the excursions finalized yet.

I know that weather may be a factor and there are times that the ship and tour are diverted. We would like to find an excursion where we can get close to a glacier by small boat.

We are still trying to decide between the NCL Star and Carnival Spirit round trip out of Seattle. Price is an issue for us as a family of 4 and we want a balcony.

Thanks for the info on this. How was the Golden Princess?

I keep reading about the excursion that people can take in which they board a small boat and get up close to the glacier. It seems as though the excursion starts on land and they return to the ship at sea since it follows and is farther away. Since the Spirit is at sea and then cruising Tracy Arm I do not see how this can be offered. Maybe they start and end at sea? Carnival told my TA that they did not have the excursions finalized yet.

I know that weather may be a factor and there are times that the ship and tour are diverted. We would like to find an excursion where we can get close to a glacier by small boat.

We are still trying to decide between the NCL Star and Carnival Spirit round trip out of Seattle. Price is an issue for us as a family of 4 and we want a balcony.

Have you checked the NCL prices with the sale they started yesterday? I thought the 3rd and 4th passengers were only $99. I believe NCL is the only one that offers the small boat excursion for those cruising on the Star.

Here are our pictures from Juneau and the excursion:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573264678pCECQV

Have you checked the NCL prices with the sale they started yesterday? I thought the 3rd and 4th passengers were only $99. I believe NCL is the only one that offers the small boat excursion for those cruising on the Star.

Here are our pictures from Juneau and the excursion:

http://travel.webshots.com/album/573264678pCECQV

I did check the rates again. The 99.00 third and fourth person sale is really misleading. This only applies the the first sailing in May from what I saw. My DW and I both work in schools so we cannot go on any cruise in May or Sept. We have to go in July or August.

My TA is also my sister so we are both keeping an eye on the rates. Also, yy co-worker just returned from her week in Alaska on the Island Princess and now I want to go even more LOL :D!

For everyone who has booked Alaska for next year, don't forget to check the roll call pages to see if there is a roll call started for your cruise. If not, then start one!;) It's great fun to start "chatting" early with those who will be cruising with you!:)

Yahoo

Roll on Aug 2010 first time to Alaska going on a land tour/cruise with Holland on the Statendam ,really looking forward to seeing the places we have heard so much about, celebrating a 60th birthday and finishing with a week in Las Vegas:):):):):D:D

I am reporting back on what I decided to do for Alaska 2010.

We were clear that we were going to leave from Seattle and roundtrip seemed to make the most sense for our family. After obsessing about it for many days we booked the NCL Pearl 8-8-10. This goes to Glacier Bay. My DW is so excited! She has been wanting to go on an Alaska cruise for several years. We got the last aft balcony on deck 10 on the Pearl! This seems to be a popular place to be as all of the aft suites on this deck also appear to be booked at this time. I cannot even find this cabin available on the other dates in July or early August so I am glad I decided to book.

I going next month on the Sea Princess to Alaska. Then next May I plan to go again the first week of the Alaska season also with Princess. There will be 5 of us in 2 cabins. I will book it right after I come back from this years cruise to Alaska.:o

I am reporting back on what I decided to do for Alaska 2010.

We were clear that we were going to leave from Seattle and roundtrip seemed to make the most sense for our family. After obsessing about it for many days we booked the NCL Pearl 8-8-10. This goes to Glacier Bay. My DW is so excited! She has been wanting to go on an Alaska cruise for several years. We got the last aft balcony on deck 10 on the Pearl! This seems to be a popular place to be as all of the aft suites on this deck also appear to be booked at this time. I cannot even find this cabin available on the other dates in July or early August so I am glad I decided to book.

You won't be disappointed with the aft cabin and they book fast too ;)

You will be overwhelmed by the beauty of Glacier Bay :D

I am planning my first Alaska trip in May next year and in the process of collecting all the information I can possibly get. I am thinking of doing R/T Vancouver because I want to spend a few days pre-cruise there, and at the same time I want to include Glacier Bay and ports where I can do whale watching in the itinerary. So far I can only see Princess offers similar itinerary and would like to hear any comments from you seasoned cruisers.

You won't be disappointed with the aft cabin and they book fast too ;)

You will be overwhelmed by the beauty of Glacier Bay :D

These are the comments that really make me happy that we picked this ship and itinerary:D! Thank you!:)

These are the comments that really make me happy that we picked this ship and itinerary:D! Thank you!:)

Hey, you're welcome. We're sailing in an aft cabin on the Golden Princess and can't wait to get back to Alaska :D

You have a fabulous trip ahead of you!

I am planning my first Alaska trip in May next year and in the process of collecting all the information I can possibly get. I am thinking of doing R/T Vancouver because I want to spend a few days pre-cruise there, and at the same time I want to include Glacier Bay and ports where I can do whale watching in the itinerary. So far I can only see Princess offers similar itinerary and would like to hear any comments from you seasoned cruisers.

I think the only cruise line doing RT from Vancouver is Holland America. You can definitely find one of their itineraries that includes Glacier Bay and Juneau is a great port to do whale watching (which is on most or all cruise line itineraries).

Princess does do a one way itinerary that goes from Vancouver to Whittier (Anchorage). I did that trip in 2006 and it was fantastic. You could still do a pre cruise in Vancouver too.

LEtue, thanks for your info. I also thought of doing a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Whittier/Seward but yet to figure out the transportation (land/air) arrangement upon disembarkation because we don't drive and have to depend on public transports.

There are cruises that start from Seattle instead of Vancouver. Does anyone know if these itinearies involve more seadays?

LEtue, thanks for your info. I also thought of doing a one-way cruise from Vancouver to Whittier/Seward but yet to figure out the transportation (land/air) arrangement upon disembarkation because we don't drive and have to depend on public transports.

There are cruises that start from Seattle instead of Vancouver. Does anyone know if these itinearies involve more seadays?

I've only checked Princess. The 7 day cruises out of Seattle have 3 sea days (including the first and last sailing days). The 14 day cruise we booked has 6 sea days (also including the first and last sailing day).

We have Group tour going May 11, 2010 the first round trip out of Seattle for the Carnival Spirit. It is going to be so hard to wait until next year! Most of us in the group have not been to ALASKA before, so we are all so excited!

We are booked for August 29th, 2010. Talk about a long wait!!! We are sailing out of Seattle on the Norwegian Pearl. This is will my husbands' and my 2nd cruise. Hope to book airline tickets early before the prices go to awfully high..

We will be sailing with another couple.

Booked Radiance southbound May 28. Have a group going. Most of us have Aft cabins - Yeah!!- 2nd Alaska cruise for some of us. Doing land tour w/ Grayline of Alaska prior. Can't wait. Seems like Alaska is going to get a good crowd in 2010.

Archived