Imagination & Amtrak question

teletubbymom

We have booked a last minute cruise on the Imagination 9/21. This will be our 2nd trip on the Imagination, we were on the Christmas sailing 2008. Our prior cruise was on the Conquest. The last time we sailed on the Imagination we drove from New England to Miami, in the snow & ice. This time we are thinking of taking Amtrak. It seems more reasonably priced than flying & the option of driving again with 3 daughters, 12, 8 & 7. I have a few questions about using amtrak as this will be the 1st time we have used it.

1. Does anyone know how far from the station the port is? We would arrive the day before departure and stay at a hotel close to the port. Any suggestions? There are 5 of us. Maybe something with free transportation to the port.;)

2. My daughters received reward quarters last time on our drive down for good behavior to use in the arcade. That was a waste of money. The games were not geared for thier age group. This time we are thinking of rewarded them with air-brush tatoos. I know this was offered on our last sailing but don't know how much they are. Anyone have an idea? Also what types of designs do they have and will they put them on thier ankles?:confused:

3. Any other tips on traveling with Amtrak with 3 children. I am not spending the money for a sleeper so we would be in coach. My girls are fairly well behaved as long as they have thier video games, laptops, ipods, etc. I have never had trouble with them on airflights or even the 3 day drive for our last trip.

Thanks for all your help.

Michelle:D

Just plan for your train to be late and arrive the day before. Amtrak never seems to be ontime. Never been on your planned route, but we have gone across country, LA to NY (2 days late), NY to LA (several hours late) and down the west coast from Seattle to LA (only 2 hours late!).

Anything can stop a train, plan for the possibility.

The Seattle to LA ride the kids were 9 & 11 and had a blast.

We would travel by train again if we can find the time.

I have used Amtrak to and from Miami many times out of Orlando.

The train schedule for arrival in Miami will force you to arrive the night before. The Amtrak station is a good $35-$40 cab ride to the port area.

For debarkation day there are two northbound trains. One at approx 8:40am and the second at approx 11am. We have done self assist our last two cruises and each time have made the 8:40 train although it is quite a rush it is worth it. If you take the 11am train it is a longer ride as you have additional stops in Tampa and Lakeland.

The best advice I can provide is have directions from the Port to the Amtrak station to provide your cab driver on debarkation day. Most of the cab drivers I have used in Miami have difficulty finsing the station. This is especially important if you are trying to catch the 8:40am train as you have little margin for error

I had looked into taking the train to Baltimore for a cruise aboard the Pride. However, the cost ($500) and travel time (14 hours) were excessive. I could fly for less than it would cost for a train. Let us know how it works out if you do decide to travel via train.

I did Amtrak when two of my kids were 4 & 6. (they are now 27 & 29) so they lived through the experience.

All I can say is I never took the train after that- at least with a car you can stop and move around. Not much you can do on that train..

We have gone to Florida many times on Amtrak (NY to DelRay), sometimes myself, and a few times with my son when he was as young as 4....

Other times we have taken Autotrain and left the car with family, who drove us to and from Miami for a cruise....

When my son was younger, we brought books and cassettes....now I bring a dvd player and books....also some snacks and a game or two....

Archived