opinions....please

fizzy

I have been trying to convince my friend that as a single woman she would not feel out of place on a SS cruise. She was considering a Med. itinerary. I never really paid too much attention or not to the single people on our past cruises so I was wondering if anyone had any happy input on this subject. As an aside, would anybody have any idea what the single supplements are running? .........thanks so much.......fizzy

My husband and I have met some interesting people traveling as singles. On our Med cruise 7 years ago, we met a very interesting older woman who turned out to be a retired member of English Parliament - she represented a district in the North, and was very quite interesting to talk with. I would say when your friend goes out on an excursion she is bound to meet some compatible people - that is how we met the Englishwoman. Also, you can always ask to be placed at a larger table for dinner - that way you meet new shipmates as well. You just need to be friendly, and often initiate conversation, such as at the Captains reception, or in the bar before dinner. I have found people to be very friendly. Of course, if people are traveling with a group, or even one or two other couples, often they are occupied with their own interests.

I don't know what the single supplements are these days, but if they are reasonable for her pocketbook, I say go for it - I don't think she will be sorry. You can always ask the matre'd to place you at a table with others, and explain you are traveling on your own and would like to meet others.................easy as can be!

glenda

I'm a single traveler who has been on four Seabourn cruises, and had a fantastic time. Seabourn is very considerate of single passengers, issuing them invitations to hosted tables at dinner nearly every night. This November will be my first sailing on Silversea. As much as I adore Seabourn, I could not find a cruise I could afford with a decent single supplement. I was astonished to find Silversea did! In fact, one of the reasons I never tried a Silversea cruise before is that their single supplements were 175-200%. Right now there are a bunch of 125% supplements out there. I don't know why, but they have reduced it on many sailings.

I simply love cruising, and I always meet nice people as a solo. I'm sure Silversea has just as friendly passengers as Seabourn. Tell your friend to go for it, she'll have the time of her life!

Jane

I haven't sailed SS alone yet but am likely to next year and have sailed alone on Regent twice.

We also have met interesting singles on SS. My husband and I go to some things together and some things alone, and it never bothers us who is single and not. We just talk to whoever if it is the appropriate setting. Some singles like to hang alone and really veg, while others like to socialize. If your friend goes to any activity and meets the social staff early on. it is easy to just ask how to join others for dinner, and they will arrange. I know when I travel alone, sometimes I join (always at night), and other times during the day, I may or may not depending on my schedule.

• 2 weeks later...
I have been trying to convince my friend that as a single woman she would not feel out of place on a SS cruise. As an aside, would anybody have any idea what the single supplements are running? ..thanks so much..fizzy

I always cruise solo and by far my best solo experience was on Silversea. As duct tape also mentioned above, there is a function early on and you can meet many other solos. My trip on Whisper last December was great. I met many couples who were happy to include me and I met many other solo women - it was a wonderful experience.

I'd like to mention that I have just come back from Tahiti on a ship with 2000 pax. I did not like it because I would meet people and then never see them again for days...some people I never saw again. This wasn't good from a solo perspective. From now on, I will always travel on smaller ship with fewer passengers. It's much nicer seeing people regularly and making friends.

I understand that Seabourn goes one step further and invites a single person to a hosted table for dinner each night - that is a nice touch.

With respect to the supplements, SS has great 125% on Vista and Balcony on many of its voyages at the moment. I've never been able to get anything lower than 175% on Seabourn so haven't done any cruises with them - makes it far too expensive.

Convince your friend, she'll have a wonderful time.:)

Cheers

ging466

I have been trying to convince my friend that as a single woman she would not feel out of place on a SS cruise. She was considering a Med. itinerary. I never really paid too much attention or not to the single people on our past cruises so I was wondering if anyone had any happy input on this subject. As an aside, would anybody have any idea what the single supplements are running? .........thanks so much.......fizzy

Have met VERY MANY wonderful folks. My husband & I enjoy people...whether alone or coupled up. One of our finest relationships was with a most wonderful Scottish lady in her 80 s we count ourselves as blessed in having known her.

One of our finest relationships was with a most wonderful Scottish lady in her 80 s we count ourselves as blessed in having known her.

Hi Chelonia

This is probably a stab in the dark and there are hundreds of 80yr old Scottish ladies:) but would that happen to be "Joan S" from Glasgow?

Cheers

ging466

I suppose along the same lines would a male feel out of place on a ss cruise? I hear that cruising in general has more female solo cruisers than male, but on a smaller ship might I be the only single passenger?

Archived