best crab shack in Baltimore?

mom2kidds

Sorry, I missed this post earlier. My family lives 5 minutes from BWI. For the best crab cakes near the airport, go to SeaSide restaurant in Glen Burnie. We are there at least 4 times per year. We always pick-up crab cakes on our way to the airport after visiting family. For about $24.00 you get a crab cake dinner which includes two crab cakes (they are huge and all back fin meat) and two side orders. So, for anyone flying in or out of BWI and have a car, here you go.

http://www.theseasiderestaurant.com/

Totally wow. We have been asking them for years. it looks like they will ship them for $11.95 each and $6.95 per ordr shipping. That's great because it's basically the same cost as if you picked them up there.

"I would recommend if you go that you try to sit outside as I thought the inside of the place was rather sterile and institutional looking."

MichMike -- Thanks for the Bo Brooks comments. I have a reservation to eat there next Saturday night with my family. When the offered me indoor vs. outdoor seating, I chose indoors because I was concerned that the weather could be hot and humid this time of year. Any thoughts, from experience?

well the nite we were there the humidity was low and there was a nice breeze off the water, plus they do have overhead fans, so we were quite comfortable outside. But you're right, this time of year heat and humidity can be an issue. Based on what I saw (our reservation was for 7:30) I would think you'd have no problem getting an inside table if you booked an outside one and then decided that it wasn't an optimal nite to be outside.

I'd say they have at least double the inside seating as they do outside.

Hope that helps. Mike

well the nite we were there the humidity was low and there was a nice breeze off the water, plus they do have overhead fans, so we were quite comfortable outside. But you're right, this time of year heat and humidity can be an issue. Based on what I saw (our reservation was for 7:30) I would think you'd have no problem getting an inside table if you booked an outside one and then decided that it wasn't an optimal nite to be outside.

I'd say they have at least double the inside seating as they do outside.

Hope that helps. Mike

Mike -- Yes, that helps very much... many thanks!

We were in Baltimore last week for a baby shower. Had planned to hit as many of the diners, drive-ins and dives places as we could and ended up making it to two of them - The Blue Moon Cafe and Chap's Pit Beef. Blue Moon was OK.. we didn't have the signature capn crunch french toast, but did have some pretty good potato pancakes. Even tried scrapple for the first (and likely last) time. Small place, maybe 9-10 tables and based on our meal I certainly don't see the attraction of waiting 90 min or more on the weekends. We went on a Tues morning and got right in. My read is that we have at least 3 bfast places here in West Michigan that are as good if not better.

Chaps was excellent. A dump, for sure, but a GOOD roast beef sandwich and fairly decent mac and cheese. DW had pulled pork bbq that I thought was very good but was a tad spicy for her. Clearly a local favorite as there were 6 firemen, including the higher ups, eating lunch there as well as the Army recruiter and had 2 taxi drivers swing in for take out. So we went 1 for 2. Will be interested to get to other DDD joints in our travels and see if they are as special as Guy makes them out to be.

As for crabs... we went w/ a large group to Bo Brooks on Sat nite and had a good meal. DW and I had never had the blue crabs before but took the plunge and with the help of a local managed fairly well. They tasted good to us novices. Others in the group who ordered off the menu seemed pleased w/ their entrees. so a good experience overall. I would recommend if you go that you try to sit outside as I thought the inside of the place was rather sterile and institutional looking. There's a tiki bar place out in front of the restaurant that was doing a rollicking business and seemed to be a local singles hangout.

Explored the inner harbor waterfront a bit on Saturday. Nice area with a lot going on. Took the ducks tour and would love to have time to go back and explore Fell's Point area. If you are in the area for a couple days, esp you ladies, and are into shopping and cutesy restaurants, a day trip to Annapolis might be in order. Neat old downtown area with a TON of shops and restaurants (and for the fellas, some pubs with sidewalk seating so that you can sit and ogle while DW is off spending your money *L*)

Now if we can just get HAL to sail out of Baltimore....

While you are at it, see if you can get Princess to join the parade of cruise lines discovering the Land of Pleasant Living.

Sorry, I missed this post earlier. My family lives 5 minutes from BWI. For the best crab cakes near the airport, go to SeaSide restaurant in Glen Burnie. We are there at least 4 times per year. We always pick-up crab cakes on our way to the airport after visiting family. For about $24.00 you get a crab cake dinner which includes two crab cakes (they are huge and all back fin meat) and two side orders. So, for anyone flying in or out of BWI and have a car, here you go.

http://www.theseasiderestaurant.com/

Totally wow. We have been asking them for years. it looks like they will ship them for $11.95 each and $6.95 per ordr shipping. That's great because it's basically the same cost as if you picked them up there.

My family also recommends G&M. I heard they do not use Old Bay seasoning. Does anyone know? They did say that seaside is closer to the airport.

Ok, here goes- I am totally confused on where to go,lol.

We will be staying at the marriott fairfield inn in white marsh. We want to go to the inner harbor and do touristy things. We will be there only for the afternoon/evening before our cruise the following day. We are a party of 17-8 adults and 9 children(ages 6 thru 14). Where should we go to eat? Doesn't have to be fancy but sitting outside enjoying the views would be a plus. How long of a car ride is it to the inner harbor from white marsh?

Thanks

Ok, here goes- I am totally confused on where to go,lol.

We will be staying at the marriott fairfield inn in white marsh. We want to go to the inner harbor and do touristy things. We will be there only for the afternoon/evening before our cruise the following day. We are a party of 17-8 adults and 9 children(ages 6 thru 14). Where should we go to eat? Doesn't have to be fancy but sitting outside enjoying the views would be a plus. How long of a car ride is it to the inner harbor from white marsh?

Thanks

The trip from Whitemarsh to the Inner Harbor [take I-95 South through the Ft. McHenry Tunnel and then I-395 into downtown; you will pass the cruise terminal on your left after you exit the tunnel] should not take more than fifteen minutes. It could be a few minutes less or a lot of minutes more. The latter depends on the time of day, construction, etc.

Most of the restaurants at Harborplace [such as Phillips, a mass market tourist place with acceptable but not outstanding food (in my opinion) have outside eating areas and good views. In my opinion the absolute best views are from the Rusty Scupper on the opposite side of the harbor beneath Federal Hill.]

We are a party of 17-8 adults and 9 children(ages 6 thru 14). Where should we go to eat? Doesn't have to be fancy but sitting outside enjoying the views would be a plus. How long of a car ride is it to the inner harbor from white marsh? Thanks

Mapquest shows approx 17 miles and 22 minutes...as Chesterpeake mentioned, depending on variables.

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Baltimore&1s=MD&1a=8477+Cordon+Way&1z=21236&2c=Baltimore&2s=MD&2a=200+E+Pratt+St&2z=21202

Harborplace eateries...

http://www.harborplace.com/html/mallattractions.asp

Hard Rock Cafe (also at the Inner Harbor)

http://www.hardrock.com/Locations/cafes3/cafe.aspx?LocationID=35&MIBEnumID=3

Enjoy your day and your cruise! ;)

The last post contained an url to connect to the Harborplace restaurants.

This is the connection to the Rusty Scupper:

http://www.selectrestaurants.com/rusty/index.html

From their site:

Looking for one of the best places to eat in Baltimore? The Baltimore Rusty Scupper offers the finest in Maryland waterfront dining. This full service, contemporary seafood restaurant and bar serves lunch, dinner, and Sunday brunch. Located on the Inner Harbor in a dramatic, free-standing building with superb private function spaces, the Rusty Scupper in Baltimore offers exceptional waterfront views. The Rusty Scupper's large 270-seat, open dining room, 75-seat bar lounge, and 142-seat upper deck with outdoor patio afford guests dramatic, sweeping views of Harborplace, the Inner Harbor, and Fells Point.

I am attaching one photo of the view; click to enlarge

307036029_RustyScupperViews1.jpg.c9cbbe576463643eded714457f025c4e.jpg

Buffet is an interesting word. It is actually cafeteria style. You get a tray and move it down the line. I imagine the food is the same as the restaurant: acceptable mass produced seafood.

Alrighty then,lol. Sounds like we will not eating here. I really appreciate the heads up.

Thanks again

I would skip phillips and the scupper.....

I guess that phillips is better than nothing...but if you will have a car, i would read this thread and find another option...............

Even G&M has better crabcakes...and timbuktu was better than g&m IMO.

The buffet/cafeteria thing is ALWAYSSSSSSSS mobbed, and there does not seem to be much seating....................

(not to mention it will be overpriced, as is ALL food in the inner harbor...:rolleyes: i think i spent TWICE what i normally pay just for a sandwich at subway!)

You will pay an overinflated price for mediocre food in a nice atmosphere....to each their own...but there are several other places mentioned on this thread that are better priced with WAAAAY better food. Atmosphere?? You want to see water??? You're going on a ship! THAT is atmosphere....sometimes, you gotta sacrifice beauty for food quality!! :-)

BTW...the LUMP crab cakes are generally better....bigger hunks of crab. Backfin is OK too, but it's much smaller pieces....

Folks-

I'm originally from VA/MD, but my hubby has never tasted a real Maryland crabcake, and I finally get to remedy that situation.

In late November, we will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express at the Stadiums, arriving early evening on a Wednesday, and looking for a close, good, totally no frills place for great crabcakes and cold beer. ;)

I would prefer a locals bar-type place rather than a restaurant, so we can start the vacation celebration before catching the ship the next day, and I can wear layers of sweats (been living in FL for 23 years).

I found a reference to Captain Larry's, and it seems to be fairly close. http://www.captainlarrys.com/default.php

What do you think?

Wendy

Folks-

I'm originally from VA/MD, but my hubby has never tasted a real Maryland crabcake, and I finally get to remedy that situation.

In late November, we will be staying at the Holiday Inn Express at the Stadiums, arriving early evening on a Wednesday, and looking for a close, good, totally no frills place for great crabcakes and cold beer. ;)

I would prefer a locals bar-type place rather than a restaurant, so we can start the vacation celebration before catching the ship the next day, and I can wear layers of sweats (been living in FL for 23 years).

I found a reference to Captain Larry's, and it seems to be fairly close. http://www.captainlarrys.com/default.php

What do you think?

Wendy

Hi Wendy. I'm familiar with the location, but have never been to Captain Larry's. Lots of local bars have great crabcakes and the prices on the menu are so reasonable, it's almost free! :D

Check out this link, reviews are great! We'll have to check it out for ourselves.

http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&um=1&ie=UTF-8&q=captain+larry's+baltimore&fb=1&split=1&gl=us&view=text&latlng=6185012422786823337&dtab=2&ei=7F6ISrm1CdSJtge1us2wCQ&sa=X&oi=local_result&ct=result&resnum=1

If a Maryland/Baltimore restaurant doesn't make a good crab cake, word gets around.

It's certainly close to your hotel, so I say give it a shot. It sounds like a great little local hangout. Enjoy. ;)

p.s. There was still time to edit, so I just wanted to say that although the reviews aren't current, I'd still give it a try.

• 1 month later...

Last night we ventured over to Stoney Creek Inn, http://www.stoneycreekinnrestaurant.com/index.html which was on Food Network's DDD.

It's not fancy, has nice picnic tables outside, and was just off of 695, south of the Key Bridge on Stoney Creek.

Cream of Crab soup was phenomenal. Thick creamy base, big lumps of crab meat. Not spicy, but no Old Bay offered on the side or tableto add some heat.

I had a Chesapeake Potato, which is just you'd think, a crab cake stuffed in a baked potato.

My husband had the double crab cake platter, which was good, but not G&M or Timbuktu good.

Tables around us were picking crabs, which looked really good.

I'd go back with a group, and if it's warm enough or not too hot I'd eat outside.

And a few weeks ago we tried the Olive Grove in Linthicum, really right down the street from G & M. http://www.olivegroverestaurant.com/

Good cream of crab soup. I had a combo meal of crab cake and filet mignon. Fabulous.

Inside is very clean, and staff are very nice. We'd go again.

Overall, G & M is my fav.

Well, we changed our flight plans, and are going to be in Baltimore on both Tuesday and Wednesday nights. Wednesday is set for Captain Larry's crabcake special.

I did some more crab cake research, and came up with a Tuesday night special on crabcakes at Duda's Tavern in Fells Point, but I don't know if we're going to be on the upper side of the harbor.

We're staying at the Holiday Inn Express at the Stadiums, so I am looking for suggestions for pub/crab cake specials in the Federal Point area on Tuesday night since we'll be cabbing or walking.

I would do Captain Larry's twice, but Tuesday is 'Family Night', and we certainly don't want family ambiance.

Looking for a neighborhood locals-type pub with cold beer, good food, cheap prices, sweats and sneaks dress code, and smoking permitted is a definite plus.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Wendy

Archived