best crab shack in Baltimore?

mom2kidds

I did some more crab cake research, and came up with a Tuesday night special on crabcakes at Duda's Tavern in Fells Point, but I don't know if we're going to be on the upper side of the harbor.

We're staying at the Holiday Inn Express at the Stadiums, so I am looking for suggestions for pub/crab cake specials in the Federal Point area on Tuesday night since we'll be cabbing or walking.

I would do Captain Larry's twice, but Tuesday is 'Family Night', and we certainly don't want family ambiance.

Looking for a neighborhood locals-type pub with cold beer, good food, cheap prices, sweats and sneaks dress code, and smoking permitted is a definite plus.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Wendy

Hi Wendy,

First...there's no cigarette smoking in any Baltimore bars or restaurants.

Duda's would be a little hike from your hotel. From Harborplace, you can take a water taxi or walk to Fells Point. Haven't been there in years, but it's a staple for sure.

Federal Hill pubs: Ropewalk Tavern, Ryleighs & MaGerks. These seem to get good reviews, although I've only been to Ryleighs and it's also been several years since.

There are only 2 cigar bars in Baltimore and Ropewalk has one on the 3rd floor according to a review I just read.

Pickles Pub is the pre-game Ravens/Orioles hangout, but close to your hotel.

Perhaps John/Chesterpeake will chime in. Enjoy your stay. ;)

I've been to Ryleighs and Duda's and found them both satisfactory. I don't believe you will find any specials on Tuesdays though.

Another Federal Hill place to consider is Mother's Federal Hill Grille. However, their crabcakes would only be on specials on Thursdays and Fridays. Actually, I haven't had their crabcakes. I went there for their "deep fried" hamburgers after they were featured on the Today Show in a segment with Matt Lauer. These heart attacks on a plate were the best I ever had. And, they are the special (half price?) on Tuesdays.

Duh, I forgot about Mother's. :rolleyes:

Between us Madelinerose we can probably cover most things.

There was just a post on an adjacent forum though that didn't appreciate my offering an url which leads to a list of hotels. But, I don't want to pick a hotel/motel for anyone. As a native I've never had to stay in one. I can offer an opinion when I know something like the auto breakins at the Travel Plaza or say something about the location near M&T Bank Stadium. I won't say something I don't know anything about. Okay, I might but few and far between.

Everything, as I've said, is just person's opinion; nothing more.

The deep fried hamburger at Mother's sounds AWESOME!

It's always good to get the perspective on places from the folks that live there. If someone doesn't like your list, it's their loss.

I appreciate all of you that have taken the time to help in my quest.

Wendy

ps - I chose the HIE Stadiums with full knowledge that it is in a crappy area, and that's OK since I will have my (giant) DH with me, and when we leave the hotel, we will be in either a cab or shuttle right from the door.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, I can usually rely on Cruise Critic to help me make good choices but this time I have only gotten more confused as to where to go to get my crab fix!!!

We are staying at the Inner Harbor/Downtown area but are willing to take a cab or water taxi if necessary.

Baltimore locals PLEASE tell me where the BEST place to have crab and crab cakes is on a Saturday early evening..decor not an issue..dives are fine!? We leave Saturady and I want to make a decision.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm late to this thread, but I just wanna put this out to those who might be looking for a GREAT crabcake dinner. Gianni's in Arbutus (Washington Blvd/Route1 exit) has WAY better than G&M or Olive Grove.

I used to love G&M, but recently noticed something *different* about them....almost a fishy taste. I found out through several sources (to include my daughter who is a chef) that they are using cod filler. Crab should be the ONLY meat used in a crabcake. Not really sure why they are doing this other than to keep the price down, but to me I would rather pay for crab. G&M is still as busy as ever, but the only thing this gal from Baltimore eats there now is cheesesteak subs.

Gianni's crabcakes rock! They do ship their crabcakes like G&M. Our other favorite place for crabcakes and the best cream of crab soup you've ever eaten is Sunset Restaurant in Glen Burnie. It's a nice establishment...ratty jeans won't work here and a reservation is recommended. We love the broiled crabcakes and always have the soup. Ask for the sherry to stir into it. It gives it a wonderfully nutty flavor!

Gianni's is about three years old and Sunset has been around for much longer.

People who live here tend to be critical of our crabcakes. Both of these crabcakes are made with domestic blue crab, not whatever that stuff is that is from Thailand. That's the reason most of us don't eat at Phillips at Harborplace because if you read the can that they pack in, that's what they use. I've traveled a lot and I tend to want to dine on what the locals eat. If you are in B-more, give either of these a try!:)

http://www.giannisitalianbistro.com/

http://www.sunsetrestaurant.com/

Archived